Pilot Died suddenly in level flight.

Hi

I was doing mission four in the Big Show campaign, and I was flying straight and level and was not being attacked and suddenly my Pilot just died.

I didn't think to save my track at the time unfortunately. however I suspect it might have been hypoxia.

My questions are:

Can your pilot die of Hypoxia?

Is it possible to see the cause of death in a log anywhere?

Do you need to turn the knob of the Spitfires oxygen system or is it for emergencies only?

If you don't know the mission, is it a fairly long flight at high altitude 30000 ft. after the first way point you are guided to an intercept with a bf109. then you are directed back home. I had defeated the bf109, and was flying back at altitude. There was no warning, just suddenly I was in the outside view with no control.

I had opened the oxygen valve and take off thinking I needed it, but I think now that this was not necessary and that I used up all my oxygen and then my pilot died.

there was nothing in the end mission log except "Pilot Died" or words to that effect.

Any clues? I have since completed the misson by not opening the oxygen valve and then flying back at a lower altitude after the intercept.

Hi

I was doing mission four in the Big Show campaign, and I was flying straight and level and was not being attacked and suddenly my Pilot just died.

I didn't think to save my track at the time unfortunately. however I suspect it might have been hypoxia.

My questions are:

Can your pilot die of Hypoxia?

Is it possible to see the cause of death in a log anywhere?

Do you need to turn the knob of the Spitfires oxygen system or is it for emergencies only?

If you don't know the mission, is it a fairly long flight at high altitude 30000 ft. after the first way point you are guided to an intercept with a bf109. then you are directed back home. I had defeated the bf109, and was flying back at altitude. There was no warning, just suddenly I was in the outside view with no control.

I had opened the oxygen valve and take off thinking I needed it, but I think now that this was not necessary and that I used up all my oxygen and then my pilot died.

there was nothing in the end mission log except "Pilot Died" or words to that effect.

Any clues? I have since completed the misson by not opening the oxygen valve and then flying back at a lower altitude after the intercept.

Out of oxygen.

In p-51 and spitfire oxygen is opened by default so if you fliped oxygent switch you actualy turn it to emergency position which probably depleeted oxygent too fast.

In p-51 and spitfire you dont touch oxygen, normal operation is set as default.

Yes in dcs pilot can die of hypoxia, and as it is in real life, person suffering from hypoxia is not aware of it, that is why this thing is so dangerous

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Out of oxygen.

In p-51 and spitfire oxygen is opened by default so if you fliped oxygent switch you actualy turn it to emergency position which probably depleeted oxygent too fast.

In p-51 and spitfire you dont touch oxygen, normal operation is set as default.

Yes in dcs pilot can die of hypoxia, and as it is in real life, person suffering from hypoxia is not aware of it, that is why this thing is so dangerous

Yep thanks that's what I assumed had happened, oh well you live and learn, well at least in simulations! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I think some fighters had cockpit heaters.

But the worst conditions were in b-17.

@ waist gunners were sitting next to big open window in plane :P

Alt above 30k temp -50 Celsius :) Fostbites common injury.

c1c933ae70587d63ba88b117471ee392.jpg

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor