Ground effect

Hello.

I made some helicopter landing attempts on high level pads.

First test in NTTR map, default weather, night time, on a small halipad (mod) on the rooftop

Second test in Blacksea, oil rig helipad (mod)

Tests were made with uh-1 and mi-8

I noticed this, uh-1 could land these spots quite easily compare to mi-8.

mi-8 had serious gorund effect problem and hardly landed.

just before the touchdown, helicopter gained altitude very rapidly, so i couldn't manage to land as i wanted to.

is this gorund effect? how are you dealing with this ?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Is the building with the Helipad on top tall, perhaps above ground effect (10 - 15m).

Are you moving from high altitude and into ground effect (roof of building) instantly as you move over the building?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

i try to descend about 5-10 m above helipad before reaching and slowly approach to the building

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

I do knoiw that the Mi-8 has a pronounced ground effect that will act like a spring air buffer at a certain altitude, say 1-2m above ground. I let it go through the wobble then, dont fiddle with collective and catch it again so it hovers or slightly sinks from that cushion point on.

The less forward speed you have the more pronounced I find this effect. As you say, heli pad, that usually does not allow great forward speed on touch down so it could well be "just" ground effect.

It surely depends on the size of the pad. The pad should be at least same size/diameter as your rotor disc has to have this massive effect. The smaller the pad and further away from solid ground the less this effect should show I guess.

Yep, she can be tricky and she is never easy on landings. Love it !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

but i don't see this effect when landing on regular helipads and gorund

Youtube

The ground effect on buildings in NTTR was always strong and instantaneous, especially in comparison to the standard map. Whether the ground effect is too strong or not is debatable but I would guess it is more correct.

You will never see this sudden change when landing on flat ground as here the ground effect is less pronounced due to a slower approach and smoother drop into ground effect.

Once you attempt to land on buildings you are literally flying from no ground effect into instant ground effect as you pass over the knife edge of the building.... instantly you are in ground effect and have attained far more lift!

Ground effect makes a huge difference to the lift of a chopper.

Simply try a comparison on flat ground, make note of the engine and rotor settings for a helicopter in hover at 5m, 20m and 30m..... there is a huge difference when comparing engine workload and rotor angle.

Once you learn these differences in collective you will automatically anticipate and correct for them, especially in a massive lift chopper like the MI-8.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Just an observation the ground effect you get on buildings seems a bit more pronounced and a little more unpredictable compared to just on a runway. I always put it down to the irregularities of the building or structure I'm landing on. I find the effect is even more pronounced with the Gazelle. You do get used to it I actually like it. :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Also with the MI-8 but the Gazelle, yes and very much so. I would guess it is because of its lightness that the reaction to ground effect is real fast!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

Hello.

I noticed this, uh-1 could land these spots quite easily compare to mi-8.

mi-8 had serious gorund effect problem and hardly landed.

just before the touchdown, helicopter gained altitude very rapidly, so i couldn't manage to land as i wanted to.

is this gorund effect? how are you dealing with this ?

I think it's an attempt at ground effect/turbulence and yes it is very pronounced with the Gazelle. What I do is as I come in across the threshold at 1 to 2 mtrs above where I want too land on the building I estimate the expected NGE lift and drop collective and settle in to the NGE and land, well mostly land. ;)

This works for the Gazelle and Huey but of course the amount of collective and the reaction times are different but the principle is the same. I'm guessing the Mi8 being a much larger heavier aircraft will have slower reaction times given the mass.

BTW I thought any more or less flat surface is a helipad? :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.