Revisiting the Vietnam Era

Devil 505

I recently posted a forum talking about who would like to see the F-105 brought to DCS. I highly encourage people to take a look at it and maybe add their input. I am starting this thread specifically to address our third party devs and any one who might be able to add info on some of the mentioned aircraft. AND who wants all these aircraft of course.

I visited an aviaiton museum this weekend locally here in Fort Worth TX to donate a few things. The museum is ran by a bunch of OV-10 pilots. They have several OV-10's out there. I was thoroughly surprised to see their aircraft collection had grown substantially since the last time I was there. They now have an A-7 corsair, a beautiful F-105, 2 F-4's, A Jolly Green, a Cobra, a delta dart, an F-14, I believe a Crusader that is in the works, an A-4, F-111, and several more beautiful statics.

What I found interesting was they also have loads of documentaion that has been catalogued and stored in a storgae hanager with aircraft specific stats. People from all around the country donate parts and data to them on these aircraft. They have so much right now, there is a 5 year plan to expand the museum. An OV-10 crew out in California is getting one up and flying again and asked these guys if they could provide copies of the orginal manual to continue working on it. They were more than happy to help.

I know there are several devs working on some of these aircraft and a lot of potential for ones that are not. I have several friends that work there and am starting to donate my time to working on them as well. If information or photography is needed for these aircraft, I am sure the museum would be more than happy to assist. I will try to make it back out there and start posting some photos on this thread of what is at the muesum and the quality/time they have invested getting them back to looking good.

I would love to see more love to the Vietnam era and would be more than happy to helps devs with information or photos if need be. I highly encourage the community to post here if they too have access to information or birds from this time period, including helos. Look forward to hearing back from everyone.

Regards

Robert

As requested. A bunch of good dudes out their. ALOT of old timers and pilots. Also going to leave alink to the vintage flying museum which is at the same airport. They hold ALOT of WW2 bombers all in flying condition, including a B-24 and B-29. I personally fly with one of them. Three of their aircraft one 1st place at Oshkosh airshow this year, I believe.

http://fortworthaviationmuseum.com/

http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org/

I for one and so fired up Heatblur is pursuing rights to devlop a full Intruder module. Since the days of Razbam and FSX with the A-6 to Wings over Vietnam, I have longed for a full fidelity A-6 module. Especially if they employ the B model for Sam suppression. It looks like the Navy Vietnam Era is moving in the right direction.

I am looking forward to the bright future with DCS. A lot of potential and possiblity on so many levels. I wish I had the talent to start a third party team myself. So many aircraft and time periods we could cover.

I for one and so fired up Heatblur is pursuing rights to devlop a full Intruder module. Since the days of Razbam and FSX with the A-6 to Wings over Vietnam, I have longed for a full fidelity A-6 module. Especially if they employ the B model for Sam suppression. It looks like the Navy Vietnam Era is moving in the right direction.

I am looking forward to the bright future with DCS. A lot of potential and possiblity on so many levels. I wish I had the talent to start a third party team myself. So many aircraft and time periods we could cover.

If they include the F-105G and F-4G a DCS wild weasel value pack would be a cool idea.

ED should develop a Vietnam War package with terrain, six FC fidelity aircraft, and period units. Sell whole thing for $99. That gets the ball rolling.

Then depending on interest they could upgrade some or all the aircraft to DCS level.

Same for a 50's Korean War scenario.

ED should develop a Vietnam War package with terrain, six FC fidelity aircraft, and period units. Sell whole thing for $99. That gets the ball rolling.

Then depending on interest they could upgrade some or all the aircraft to DCS level.

agree that

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One thing to note. The difference in complexity between say, a MIG-21 F-13 in the FC level and at the DCS level is not as big as a modern multirole fighter.

There are a lot more systems, MFD pages, modes & sensors to account for with modern planes. My point being this era of aircraft aren't ideal for FC3 level planes.

Playing the F/A-18C during the current free weekend and really wish they would come out with an FC version of it. A lot of pages and functions to browse through, but unless I want to dedicate all of my flight sim time to that single module I'll never come even somewhat proficient towards it.

One thing to note. The difference in complexity between say, a MIG-21 F-13 in the FC level and at the DCS level is not as big as a modern multirole fighter.

True.

I wouldn't hesitate in upgrading an FC level Mig-17 or '21 F-13 to full DCS fidelity but how many others would?

I'm looking forward to flying the MAC L-39 but I'm not sure I'd make the leap to the DCS version.

There are a lot more systems, MFD pages, modes & sensors to account for with modern planes. My point being this era of aircraft aren't ideal for FC3 level planes.

Playing the F/A-18C during the current free weekend and really wish they would come out with an FC version of it. A lot of pages and functions to browse through, but unless I want to dedicate all of my flight sim time to that single module I'll never come even somewhat proficient towards it.

I agree that more modern aircraft don't translate well to a FC3 level model because of their complexity. But now that I think about it I think that it would be a good idea to start of older simpler aircraft as FC3 and later on transition it to a full fidelity model since it would have more chances to be completed.

I also flew the F/A-18C and even though it is a bit complex to learn that's what makes it interesting in first place in DCS. If not I would be playing other arcade style combat games just for the fun factor.

And even though I liked the Hornet I won't be looking to buy it anytime soon simply because I wont be flying it much after the F-14 comes out. All my time is going to be dedicated to learning and training in the Tomcat. But I may pick up the hornet in a future sale when it drops to a good price to pass up on.

That sounds like a good Idea. But I doubt they would do that many aircraft for such a package. But at least the the F-4E Phantom is currently in development and it will be initially be available with basic systems functionality. But they do plan to upgrade it over time. And since there is already a Mig-21 the F-4 would have its nemesis. They only thing missing would be a Vietman map. You can read more details about it here: https://belsimtek.com/news/1792/

And for the Korean War we already have the Sabre and the Mig-15 so all that is needed is the Korean map.

Edited by Evoman

I am new to DCS (few weeks) and I got involved a lot! I am going deeper and deeper in this world every day. I am coming from the Falcon 4 era, followed up with LOCK-ON and took few years break to come back here with the release of 2.5.

When I went in the map purchase option, I was REALLY surprised when I saw that no Vietnam map was available considering all the older aircraft options we have available.

Indeed, I am 100% sure that Vietnam would be a very successful map considering that the war that happen there was one of the mostly known war (after WWII). A very large percentage of DCS buyers would be interested in that map. There is a lot of middle age man here, who all grew watching Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and hearing their fathers and uncles talking about that war.

Also, Vietnam is not such a big country. Eagle Dynamics could do the north or the south part as well, which would make sense for a Vietnam campaign.

I know that Third Party companies are doing planes? But to they have green light to develop map as well?