wheel brakes axis is inverted when using pedals

Redglyph

The wheel brakes axis must be inverted when they are mapped to pedals, otherwise it brakes all the time. I've seen this inconsistency on several other airplanes, it depends on DCS version and the module.

There is no a priori reason to require this inversion, since pushing on the pedal is the natural way to brake and this axis always work that way. Moreover, the bar on the axis tuning screen increases when one pushes on the pedal, without checking the "invert" box, which indicates it should work without inverting the axis.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

The problem is that there is no standard in the hardware. Some have max input when the pedals are depressed; some have it when they're not; I've even seen some that use a half-axis, so that the input is at a range from Zero to Max rather than from [-Max] to [+Max].

The inconsistency isn't in the modules, but in the fact that they can't presume it to work one way or the other. That's why the invert and slider tick boxes are there to begin with.

Either way, it's not really something that qualifies as a bug or a problem, nor something that can be “fixed”. If they invert it to work intuitively with your pedals, someone else will have to invert theirs instead.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

What Tippis said.

And hopefully you only need to mess around with the axis tunning once per aircraft. No big deal...granted there’s no patch breaking all your bindings as it happened not that long ago :P

At least we have options to configure our inputs to our liking. In that respect, DCS is way superior to similar software packages where the input bindings are real pain in the ass to manage.

I understand that different hardware devices may react differently, the problems are:

- the wrong feedback in the axis tune window (the value does increase when I press the pedal, without inversion, as I wrote in my post, this indicates the braking increases with pressure so I definitely don't expect to invert this behaviour),

- the different behaviour depending on the version, mainly between 1.0x, 1.5x, 2.0x, now 2.5x... Maybe it doesn't vary on individual modules on the same DCS version, but this is obviously confusing anyway.

The different devices you mentioned are a good point, the problem there comes from the so-called "default" settings not being taken into account once it has been changed by the user, which is actually another bug in itself. If it worked, the settings would already be correct on a new module.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Invert it. Done.

You probably think you're very funny or terribly clever, but actually that's not helping when someone is trying to report a problem.

SOP when you first enter a new aircraft is to press CTRL ENTER and depress your brakes, move your controls and pause to continue mapping or invert axes.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

For those who haven't read the whole description, I'll try to summarize:

- there is no way to tell whether we need to invert the axis or not, except start a mission, start the engine, roll, brake, cancel, and re-do the mapping again (for details, read the 1st post)

- why simply not fix a bug?

And finally, this thread was not meant as a debate, but as a bug report. But have it your way, I give up.

It's not a bug though - it's just the inevitable consequence of having to pick one implementation among many possible, all of them right, and their pick not coinciding with your hardware.

Also, all you have to do is get into instant action and just look at the effect of the input. Coincidentally, this is commonly the best way to do all inputs: in a place where you can get immediate feedback on every choice.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

[...]I've seen this inconsistency on several other airplanes, it depends on DCS version and the module.

[...] the bar on the axis tuning screen increases when one pushes on the pedal, without checking the "invert" box, which indicates it should work without inverting the axis.

If that was not a bug, we would have the same behaviour on all planes and/or all DCS versions, and we wouldn't have the setup box "lying" to us.

It's not lying to you. It's showing your input.

What that means in terms of how the plane will respond to the input is a very different matter, and there is no right or wrong way of doing that since different hardware works differently, and the developer has to choose one or the other. Either way, it will be “backwards” for someone.

Your complaint is not about a bug but about you being in the “someone” category for this particular aircraft.