Help from the flight-engineer, what do we think about it?

In the DCS 1.5 open beta, we did get an option (in the Mi-8 special options menu) to have the flight engineer help us flying stable by adjusting the SBS/autopilot system for us.

What do we think about it? I for one found it difficult not to side-slip just after I made a turn. This resulted in several failures to hit one of the targets in the target practice mission in the campaign. So I for once like to turn it off. It did help me to fly straight and level. But I think it needs some time to fully adjust the Mi-8 to fly straight and without sideslip. So I don't use this option anymore. Because if you set the angle of the blades at "7" it pretty much flies straight and level for you anyways. I immediatly felt better control when I turned this option off and I was able to hit both the targets in mission 3 in the campaign.

Any opinions?

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

Isn't there supposed to be a keyboard command to activate when you want? No must admit I didn't really look at it too much as I hadn't really set up the mi-8 in the beta yet

The included option in the main menu of "fine tuning of the autopilot", indexes of the autopilot will be maintained in the central situation constantly, continuously, at the slightest deviation from the center. Fine tuning on command, is more approached to real, as in life. Gave command, fine tuning went. If you wish to use push-button team, an option "fine tuning of the autopilot", in the main menu it is necessary to disconnect.

8051093.jpg

So, maybe I'm just bad at this, but it seemed to me that when I allow the flight engineer AI to tune the autopilot, he doesn't respond quickly enough to my changes in the flight state of the aircraft. In particular, if I've been cruising for a bit with the heading autopilot on, the nose will pull to the side when I enter a hover unless I manually manipulate the pedals and override the autopilot. For me, this is often worse than just turning the autopilot on and ignoring the drift--I might cruise in a bit of a sideslip if I leave the heading channel on, but I can also hover at any time without much pedal input.

For pitch and roll stabilization only, the flight engineer AI seems OK to me. But again, doing nothing isn't really that bad either.

EDIT: Huh, I actually don't think the AI engineer is supposed to be adjusting the heading--but the helicopter sure doesn't seem to hold heading in a hover worth a damn if I leave it on and fly around for a bit. Maybe it's just a coincidence... anyone know why this might be?

Edited by Tetraptous

I quite liked it when he was just gone (between 1.5 and last update).

However once we get the nose gun it will be great to see him climb over the center panel and put down some pain!

Some gun smoke filling the pit would be soo sweet!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 4 months later...

Same setting?

The included option in the main menu of "fine tuning of the autopilot", indexes of the autopilot will be maintained in the central situation constantly, continuously, at the slightest deviation from the center. Fine tuning on command, is more approached to real, as in life. Gave command, fine tuning went. If you wish to use push-button team, an option "fine tuning of the autopilot", in the main menu it is necessary to disconnect.

8051093.jpg

Is it the same setting? I have the GUI in Spanish.

attachment.php?attachmentid=136508&d=1457788680

1862040539_Autopilotadjustment.png.ad5fbdcbeceb8c858aa1c8e4f45d5e17.png

Vista, Suerte y al Toro!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, it works!

However i do not know if I should use it too much... :joystick:

) You are welcome mate, :/ yup, sometimes I think that the adjustment of AP tries to kill me ))) LOL you trim it out to fly strait and level, )) and then you press that damn button )) god this is something

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD

) You are welcome mate, :/ yup, sometimes I think that the adjustment of AP tries to kill me ))) LOL you trim it out to fly strait and level, )) and then you press that damn button )) god this is something

Hahaha! I think the flight engineer shouldn't have passed the Army's psychological tests, he is always trying to kill me too!

Vista, Suerte y al Toro!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hahaha! I think the flight engineer shouldn't have passed the Army's psychological tests, he is always trying to kill me too!

)) lol he sure is having some problems.

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD