A must see video of dogfighting in the Tomcat

GVO

There is no intermediate setting, i.e. there is no set flap position for “Half” or “T/O”, etc. You push the handle outwards, and it is a continuous movement between Up and Down and you can move it (and leave it) it anywhere in between.

OK, thx, we've been mislead before that it goes either full or none at all. So it's modeled correctly.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

What may or not be modeled, and I haven’t played with it, is that the main flaps went to full deflection within the first few degrees of flap handle movement. So there isn’t really much of a distinction between rolling the maneuver flaps down and simply deploying the main flaps. It required a really refined technique, I believe, to “work” the flaps during a dogfight. In addition, it was very easy to lock out the flaps in the Tomcat. The flaps are rolled up and down by torque tubes which could shear and break, like twisting a paper towel tube. Next thing you know, you can find yourself with a need to escape, and now your flaps won’t come up.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

What may or not be modeled, and I haven’t played with it, is that the main flaps went to full deflection within the first few degrees of flap handle movement. So there isn’t really much of a distinction between rolling the maneuver flaps down and simply deploying the main flaps. It required a really refined technique, I believe, to “work” the flaps during a dogfight. In addition, it was very easy to lock out the flaps in the Tomcat. The flaps are rolled up and down by torque tubes which could shear and break, like twisting a paper towel tube. Next thing you know, you can find yourself with a need to escape, and now your flaps won’t come up.

5 degrees per NATOPS. :thumbup:

Salute,

:punk:

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They’re using maneuver flaps. Rolling them down with the DLC thumb wheel.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

From my tests it is modeled like in manual:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#flaps-and-slats

The normal flap and slat extension is controlled using the FLAP handle on the Throttle Quadrant. The flaps can be set to anywhere between retracted and fully extended where the flaps will extend to 35° and the slats to 17°. The auxiliary flaps, the innermost section, only have two positions, retracted and extended. They will extend fully when the FLAP handle is at more than 5° extension.
Also the handle can be moved as per Spiceman:

a continuous movement between Up and Down and you can move it (and leave it) it anywhere in between
So it looks like all is correctly modeled as IRL, right?

Any hearsay from pilots or books should now be questioned on what exact flaps and range were used during BFM. Some say about main (aux) flaps, some about maneuvering flaps (but if the outer section is moved by the flaps handle to more than 10 degrees extension they are no longer maneuvering flaps).

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Heatblur have mentioned they will make the flaps more fragile in a future update, as irl even 225knots was known to cause issues. The current flaps cheese will end quickly once this update arrives, locks the flaps out and stops the wing from sweeping.

Also, the F16 in that video is hardly flying optimally.

edit: apologies for making points that were already made, clicked on this thread and only read the front page and thought this was the entire conversation heh.

Edited by Sideburns

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Heatblur have mentioned they will make the flaps more fragile in a future update, as irl even 225knots was known to cause issues. The current flaps cheese will end quickly once this update arrives, locks the flaps out and stops the wing from sweeping.

The flap "cheese" will hardly stop as there is no penalty really for flying with your flaps jammed. I mean, the penalties are there in respect to drag, and thus maximum performance and range, but when was the last time anyone in DCS worried about that? So for the average "air-quaker" out there, flaps jammed at 225, 250 or 275 won't matter.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

If it's possible and give advantage it will be used. No reason to forbid it and punish unless you set tournament rules.

whats the point of flying a super realsitic plane, when the other planes(devs) are not even that realsiticly modeled?

i;d rather HB spend their efforts fixing actual tomcat bugs (that undermine the performance) , the forrestal, the A-CAT... and pls, pls pls, B(up) and D cat

super hornet if they feel up for it... I have a wallet full of cash for those modules any day