Make Jester say speed while in a dogfight.

feipan

@OP, just look down at the dial and back up... it's not that hard, but it does take practice to develop the muscle memory to look right back at where you were (so you don't lost track of your bogey). You're just too used to having it on your JHMCS... <shots fired>

:)

That said, when I RIO'd in the Fight for Honor tournament, i definitely called out air speed and altitude as needed... no idea what a real RIO would do, and personally, I'd rather Jester just do what a real RIO would do.

"You're goin' ballistic mav, go get him!"

The lack of HUD info in the F-14B is part of the challenge of flying it. That's just the way it goes. It's not unusual for a plane of that era and as much as an F-14D would be nice. I just don't see that happening any time soon.

Edited by CommanderRabb

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

Given the limited computer power available, the developers of the RL HUD had to decide what was most important to the pilot in various situations - I'm sure they did a ton of research and were pretty smart people (not that smart people can't get it wrong). So, in a dogfight, its closure and range (with AOA close by). Who cares how fast you're going, what matters is how quickly you are closing the bandit!

Maybe it's just me, but in the middle of a knife-fight I can't get much use of Jesters position call outs. If I am rolled past 90 degrees of bank and am 10 degrees nose down, what does 5 oclock high mean? is that "high over my right shoulder relative to the cockpit" meaning the target is below me or is that "earth referenced" and the target is actually above the horizon and over my left shoulder?

Maybe it's just me, but in the middle of a knife-fight I can't get much use of Jesters position call outs. If I am rolled past 90 degrees of bank and am 10 degrees nose down, what does 5 oclock high mean? is that "high over my right shoulder relative to the cockpit" meaning the target is below me or is that "earth referenced" and the target is actually above the horizon and over my left shoulder?

i think it's horizon referenced, which can be really confusing at times.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

The plane calls out airspeed, no need for anything else.

Just my opinion after about 6 weeks in the stick.

Regards

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

He cant be looking at the bandit and the speedo at the same time. Just sayin.

As WSO most important task is to keep eyes on bandits, placing head down to look at display or instrument is no go....

Maybe we need WSO to state as well the aircraft roll and pitch angle?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Not really got that yet.... As sometimes it is just feels it is either one.

IMHO it should always be relative to the value pilot decides in the squadron.

I want to be able fly eyes closed, without visual indications to outside because weather or day. So that is something happens "three o'clock high" then it will always be right and up no matter am I inverted in negative dive or not.

If I am feeling higher G forces and can't see the bandit but WSO can, I must be able fly based only the information I hear, regardless what attitude my aircraft is. As everything is relative to the cockpit.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I've always been curious about the reference plane of jesters callouts. (Canopy up vs Sky up). I concur its in the Aircraft's.

But just like everyone I have been frustrated thinking there was delays or that he was just wrong. I got in a turning fight and while I was looking at a target dead ahead (PAL locked and TCS visual), Jester telling me bandit on our 3. I went back and looked at Tacview. Found out we were merged with 2 bandits and there was one on our right exactly where Jester said. Things move really quick. Even with a human RIO or playing RIO is hard to effectively communicate. Its a bond you need to build and there's a level of trust you have to establish. Phrasing, Tone, inclination, a lot of non-verbal ques come into play as well. Its a little harder with Jester, because he is AI, he does use a finite amount of callout recordings (even thought there are many), and most expect him to fail or be bugged.

So knowing this, you have to adjust your engagement. You can't go flying into furbals without a plan. If you can't see the bandit or get a fix on him. You take a hard right and select zone 5. Extend and get out of there. Reset. Re-engage. If at all possible, have a wing-man. Can't count how many times a wing-man came to my rescue, even if it is just to force a bandit defensive.

• 4 weeks later...

not sure about you guys, jester call's can get really loopy and annoying at times, i just set him to no talk...

anyway,

i like the sparrowhawk, never flew a tomcat beofre, been on glass cockpit(c-172) since flight training till now (B777) ...

I like the sparrowhawk, probably wont make me fly better... but i like the sparrowhawk