Alignment without Engine Start

riboyster

Hey guys. I was just wondering if there is any way to align before starting the motors. I've noticed that I can do it on ground electric power, but then when I switch to pilot seat and start the motors, Jester starts it again from ground zero.

Has anyone come up with a way to get around this? I'm not a fan of wasting fuel on the tarmac if not needed.

Thanks!

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

The engines shouldn't be started with the WCS switch in any position other than OFF, and Jester has been trained to respect this ;-) . The only reason to align the INS with the engines off is to store the alignment for a future ASH alignment - what is BTW fully doable with our F-14.

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

You can refuel the "wasted" fuel towards end of alignment or after the startup... just call the ground crew and refuel & rearm menu.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 11 months later...

for this matter, i,ve always wondered how they did it on alert 5?

do they electronically start up the aircraft with the ground power and do all the electronic work and leave it on?

does the ground air cart provide cooling for the wcs?

doesnt make sense that they have to spool the engines just to align ins

for this matter, i,ve always wondered how they did it on alert 5?

do they electronically start up the aircraft with the ground power and do all the electronic work and leave it on?

does the ground air cart provide cooling for the wcs?

doesnt make sense that they have to spool the engines just to align ins

We started the engines, set and stored the alignment, did OBC, prepped and tuned missiles, shut down, topped off the fuel, and sat there for hours, listening to our Sony Walkman tape cassettes, punctuated with a loud zap every six seconds or so as the ship's radars swept by our jets.

Some guys sat on bubble wrap, but it was prohibited and had to be thrown over the side before closing the canopy. Anyone guess why?

Viewpoints are my own.

Some guys sat on bubble wrap, but it was prohibited and had to be thrown over the side before closing the canopy. Anyone guess why?

Expansion due to pressure change resulted in them popping, which maybe people thought was a malfunction (electrical failure?) or gunfire? Or it interfered with the ejection process by placing your head closer to the canopy/not being properly seated?

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

Expansion due to pressure change resulted in them popping, which maybe people thought was a malfunction (electrical failure?) or gunfire? Or it interfered with the ejection process by placing your head closer to the canopy/not being properly seated?

Any sort of cushion increased the distance the seat had to accelerate before impacting the pilots legs, which could theoretically break your femurs. The integrated cushion was very thin, and very uncomfortable.

Viewpoints are my own.

Need to model tie down chains.

Look at you thinking ED would implement useful features into their game.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

We started the engines, set and stored the alignment, did OBC, prepped and tuned missiles, shut down, topped off the fuel, and sat there for hours, listening to our Sony Walkman tape cassettes, punctuated with a loud zap every six seconds or so as the ship's radars swept by our jets.

Thank you for your reply and thank you for your service to your Country!

It's an honor to hear an reply from a real-cat driver!

I;ve always wondered, why the tomcat wasn't designed to have her avionics preped without engines running.

also, out of curiousity, if you flew the B(Upgrade) and D cats, do they handle very differently from the older cats (digital vs analogue sas)... pardon me if this has been asked before

I;ve always wondered, why the tomcat wasn't designed to have her avionics preped without engines running.

Engines running and bleed air flow were necessary for the system's cooling to be effective. I'm not sure that at the time it would have been possible to design and build it otherwise.

Engineeringly, it seems easily dooable, running an extra bleed line from the starter-cart to the WCS or a ground aided-cooling system,

Airliners around that time could... but i am not sure about fighters... maybe fuel spent < weight saved...

Engineeringly, it seems easily dooable, running an extra bleed line from the starter-cart to the WCS or a ground aided-cooling system,

Airliners around that time could... but i am not sure about fighters... maybe fuel spent < weight saved...

Probably the weight was among the problems. And for a naval fighter, a ground-aided cooling system means a couple more things on the deck, which is already a crowded area. A couple more things to do for ground crews as well.