[REPORTED] Probe Heat Not Working

SonofEil

Track size is 21MB so it's obviously not attached. If any of the mod/testers are interested I can email it.

Did a 1.5 hour tour of the Caucuses at ~26,000ft., ambient surface temp -9C. Around halfway through the flight (49 min according to TacView) the aircraft starts performing a sine wave while in ALT hold, slowly climbing then slowly descending with increasing amplitude but negligible change in indicated airspeed and altitude. Found probe heat switch at the back of the left console and turned it on. After another 30+minutes airspeed indicator and altimeter still hadn't recovered. Flipped Probe Heat switch to test and it blinks on the master caustion panel, but the light isn't illuminated when the switch is in the on position. Instruments didn't recover until dropping below ~12,000ft. while approaching the airport.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Probe heat should be on with no Weigh On Wheels (WOW) regardless of probe heat switch position. The switch is just there in case icing conditions exist on the ground prior to take off.

I have experience this before but can't reproduce it consistently.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4172859&postcount=38

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I was a little surprised that I was having the issue. I know irl the probe heat is hand-checked prior to taxi. As it stands in DCS the probe heat switch sits in a position labeled as OFF (at least that's its default cold start position), it can be flipped down into a spring-loaded TEST position, and also up into, presumably, an ON position (though it's not labeled as such.) I flipped it on when I noticed the issue but saw no results.

Edited by SonofEil

Track size is 21MB so it's obviously not attached. If any of the mod/testers are interested I can email it.

Did a 1.5 hour tour of the Caucuses at ~26,000ft., ambient surface temp -9C. Around halfway through the flight (49 min according to TacView) the aircraft starts performing a sine wave while in ALT hold, slowly climbing then slowly descending with increasing amplitude but negligible change in indicated airspeed and altitude. Found probe heat switch at the back of the left console and turned it on. After another 30+minutes airspeed indicator and altimeter still hadn't recovered. Flipped Probe Heat switch to test and it blinks on the master caustion panel, but the light isn't illuminated when the switch is in the on position. Instruments didn't recover until dropping below ~12,000ft. while approaching the airport.

I encountered this in the same conditions. Cold and high. I think I was at 28k maybe higher? IMN of about .80 with a climb. The jet eventually departed flight and got into probably the deepest stall. I wish I had a video of it. Basically the jet turned into a Harrier with a flame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

... As it stands in DCS the probe heat switch sits in the off position, or at least labeled as such...

The switch will be labeled as off but the probes heat will come on with no WOW, that is one of the reasons we pull the circuit brakes when raising the aircraft with fuselage jacks.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yeah I’ve had this issue as well. Can’t reproduce it but it’s always in cold weather. Stuck/eronious airspeed readings and the sometimes it’ll depart and end up in a flat spin.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

What was the speed you were flying with?

No guys, the track file isn’t “missing”, I know exactly where it is. And you’re welcome to it:

If any of the mod/testers are interested I can email it.

Or update these archaic upload limitations to something useful smdh.

You know what, it’s alright. I’m aware that outside file hosting exists, but I’m not using my personal resources to cover ED’s (or vBulletin’s) deliberate shortcomings. And who are we kidding that they’d even be able to make it 49 minutes into the track to view the issue. The bug is thoroughly and accurately described, it’s corroborated by other users. Fix it or don’t, it’s your sim.

• ED Team
You know what, it’s alright. I’m aware that outside file hosting exists, but I’m not using my personal resources to cover ED’s (or vBulletin’s) deliberate shortcomings. And who are we kidding that they’d even be able to make it 49 minutes into the track to view the issue. The bug is thoroughly and accurately described, it’s corroborated by other users. Fix it or don’t, it’s your sim.

While we always appreciate a track, we understand you cant always produce one, or they are too large to share, if you are not able to, you can simply say that and one of us can try to reproduce it or sometimes other users step up and do it, but there is no need to be rude about it, we only ask you do what you can. Thanks.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Regardless of it being accurately described and corroborated its a difficult bug to replicate, I know because I've wasted a couple of hours TRYING to replicate this issue, in the very same mission where I had it happen to me a couple of times in the past. Unless the devs can replicate it, it can be difficult for them to track down exactly what is causing the problem. So if you have a track of it, it would be great if you could find some way of hosting it so the devs can download it. Yes I know the forum size limit is annoying.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 2 weeks later...

There should be also a probe Heat monitor that illuminates the PROBE HEAT caution

light in case the airflow decreases under certain value e.g. if blocked by ice. Apparently it doesn't work now.

EDIT: Also multiple FLCS FAULTs should occur in case of blocked air data probes and sensors.

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Thank you for the reports,

I believe I have this reported now

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=266581

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2