More realistic / tougher AI for dogfights /and ACM - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
b0bl00i

Default More realistic / tougher AI for dogfights /and ACM

I've been struggling lately with dcs, not having fun anymore and that's simply because the ai is not giving me a good challenge. I've tested all difficulty levels and they all underperformed. The ai fly like a ufo doing loop after loop and some scissors. That's about i. When I'm at their 6 it doesn't jink or pull any hard gs to try to shake me. Just being patient and doing lag pursuit I always nail them in a gun fight.

Let me know what you think should be improved when it comes to ai acm behavior.
b0bl00i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Pikey
Veteran

You aren't the first to mention this. Also, pretty sure ED would like to improve it, I recall Nick Grey said he would like to. It just comes down to which end of the list ED have it at. It's a long list.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
Frag

Yeah AI is in need of some work for sure.

I am dreaming of an new AI release, that would contains few weeks of concentrated work on the AI. I think that many people take for granted that everyone is playing multiplayer. I personally think that more people play single player.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 AM   #4
3WA

Fly the Shark, start up a fast mission, and set it to Medium.

You won't be bored.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
TLTeo

Yeah AI is one of the areas in which DCS is most lacking. It would also be nice to have better communications from wingmen - for example, it would be nice if we could always ask them for their position wrt Bullseye, and some updates like, say, "engaged defensive, I'm the southern aircraft".
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
beppe_goodoldrebel

Sometimes they are even too smart, they never lose contact and get to your six quickly.

Flying F14 against F5 or Mig21 in gun fight is a nightmare.
beppe_goodoldrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:20 AM   #7
Frag

Put a chopper like an AH-64 in a mountains region and watch it try to attack a target. You would bet that Jim Carrey in dumb and dumber is piloting the aircraft.

I know that AI stuff can be hazardous, but in DCS it is not even serious. Wonder why people are not more outraged by it.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
stefasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frag View Post
Put a chopper like an AH-64 in a mountains region and watch it try to attack a target. You would bet that Jim Carrey in dumb and dumber is piloting the aircraft.

I know that AI stuff can be hazardous, but in DCS it is not even serious. Wonder why people are not more outraged by it.
I've lost count of how many choppers I lost in the mountain region south of khasab in PG (reminds me of afghanistan so I use that area with the A-10 for strikes).... and the funny thing is that when they manage not to crash on the side of a mountain, they actually get destroyed by enemy tank fire!!! Why the hell do they get that close???

Fighters AI in dogfights in valleys is equally hilarious, at some point they think they are going to hit something and pull up for no reason... getting to a near stall and becoming a stationary target for my cannon ... and if someone else is pursuing you at low level, this will take the direct route to your position, with a 40% chance of hitting a mountain.
(i have modified the Intercept quick mission with the su-27 to become a me vs 4 f-16 and 4 f-15, and I love it! It became the dogfight paradise around the caucasus highest mountains, and these funny situations really are around the corner, also i deleted my wingman because he liked mountains too much...)
stefasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
Frag

This is s war simulation ... still dont get how AI can be put in such lower priority. What you fight is indeed the reason you play in the first place.

From what we see in different polls, the majority of players play in Single Player, and they need to deal with this AI in every gaming session. I dont know how many time I just cancelled one mission project because the AI was useless, therefore completely ruining the mission challenge in the firs place.

Then try a different setup ... to later conclude the same thing again.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:42 AM   #10
chihirobelmo

Dogfighting F-18 vs F-18, AI tends to choose one circle fight even if he has higher energy and can continue two circle fight to defeat me...
chihirobelmo is offline   Reply With Quote