[REPORTED] Cockpit/Windscreen Bar - Page 10 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #91
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bridges View Post
The interior 3d model is not the same as the exterior. And you can't look at both at the same time.
You can view both when you just look outside. You can see cockpits and the nose or wings or tail.
Model of the Spitfire cockpit
Old 07-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #92
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
The interior 3d model is not the same as the exterior. And you can't look at both at the same time.
In VR people go outside the cockpit but they are seeing the "internal model" that way, not F2 external model, and they complain about it even though you aren't supposed to go outside the cockpit once sitting inside.

S!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #93
SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFoxRomeo View Post
"...com on Boy" <-really?
How the hell do you think I don´t want a true cockpit sight?

...suggest how to make it "better"? That is subjective. I wouldn´t like the proposed ideas, so it´s not better for me. And now?

Then why stop there? The next guy will ask for another compromise here and there.
If you make too many compromises the simulation gets washed out of this software. You can´t make a compromises, if you want the real view out of the FW-190. You need refraction. And again, if you can´t hit anything now, you won´t hit anything even with refraction either.

Fox
If you raise your head then you lose sight of the crosshairs in the gunsight. If you center the crosshairs in the gunsight then anything below the aim-point is blocked by the frame. How is this not an impediment to aiming? As you're almost always leading your target, any restriction of the ability to see down your nose is a serious impediment to aiming.

The top edge of the lower windscreen frame should be extended down to be made flush with the top of the cowling. The frame sides should be made thinner as well to simulate the effect of the refraction. (Both of these changes would be to the interior model only, of course. The external model will be unaffected.) Yes, there's blisters for the guns on either side that are already almost flush with the "bar" but there's a channel down the middle you can see and aim through. No, it's not geometrically correct but it will *look* correct and that's all that matters in this application.

Last edited by SMH; 07-12-2019 at 02:56 PM.
SMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #94
Burning Bridges

Of course anything suggested concerning windscreen refraction should not be a mandatory feature. But I don't think anyone would complain if an option was in the settings, "simulate windscreen refraction" with proper warning "not realistic but can give a more realistic field of view to a lot of people".

Whatever you can say how unrealistic this is, the current solution is completely unsatisfying. You look at the most important part of the cockpit for a pilot and can see nothing but brown because of the 3d model.

There was a shot in the German debunking video where an entire house disappeared behind the cardboard, completely ridiculous.

ca 9:00 https://youtu.be/uCGsyjt5ANU?t=543

The L-39 has the option to dismount the gunsight and it makes a whole lot difference, and there should be something similar for the Focke Wulf windscreen, otherwise the plane is useless to me.
Burning Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #95
Magic Zach

Honestly the edge of the glass, as it is now, isn't as impeding as some of you make it to be. Like the Spitfire, aiming requires a bit of intuition. The problem can easily be gotten around in the meantime with practice. So practice!

Also, in the video, there doesn't appear to be any distortion at all, when the camera is in position of where the head will be. So, I think a good solution for the time being is making that edge of the frame transparent, just like the rest of the glass, instead of the rusty brown it is now.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #96
iFoxRomeo

Quote:
Of course anything suggested concerning windscreen refraction should not be a mandatory feature. But I don't think anyone would complain if an option was in the settings, "simulate windscreen refraction" with proper warning "not realistic but can give a more realistic field of view to a lot of people".

Whatever you can say how unrealistic this is, the current solution is completely unsatisfying. You look at the most important part of the cockpit for a pilot and can see nothing but brown because of the 3d model.

There was a shot in the German debunking video where an entire house disappeared behind the cardboard, completely ridiculous.

ca 9:00 https://youtu.be/uCGsyjt5ANU?t=543

The L-39 has the option to dismount the gunsight and it makes a whole lot difference, and there should be something similar for the Focke Wulf windscreen, otherwise the plane is useless to me.
Of course an option would be okay. No question about that. But saying this plane is useless as it is right now, is totally exaggerated.

Fox
iFoxRomeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #97
Burning Bridges

I said useless to me, not in general. Other people may be perfectly happy with what they see when they look forward.
Burning Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #98
Ala13_ManOWar

I guess you think either Fw190 is useless in every other sim out there since ever modelled exactly like that. Right?

S!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #99
Veteran66

I like the DCS Fw190 A8 Cockpit, only the glass frame is too thick if you look through the glass.
I was sitting in an original Fw 190 A8 and could not detect a disturbing frame.

so what is real and what we need in a simulation?

Other WW2 flight simulations make a Compromise, i hope here too.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #100
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran66 View Post
so what is real and what we need in a simulation?
Refraction is real, but too taxing performances wise. Though, since rain drops do have sort of refraction I would like to see how taxing it is actually.

S!