HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset - Page 158 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #1571
fearlessfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secoda View Post
This should be published IMO. Nice work. The why this was working so well eluded me a bit.

So what if SteamVR goes away?
Thanks. I'm working on an article at Mudspike to try to gather up the various VR tips and whys, as it's a really confusing subject for all and probably worth consolidating.

If SteamVR goes away, in some ways all it is doing now is (a) identifying the WMR device as an OpenVR API device for the pass-through of calls to the underlying driver (this is a very small run-time overhead in reality, but interesting to see what ED find here in profiling DCS with it) and (b) providing the target resolution to up or downsample to, through the SteamVR SS value.

DCS already has pixel density, so I guess we would just have to use that. The WMR does everything else already, reprojection etc.

The only wrinkle in this is Microsoft continue to full support and grow out the Win32 mixed reality side or not. They have more reason than any (being the awkward third child) to put full effort behind something cross-company like OpenXR as the main API. Out of all the partners, they put the most effort into a OpenXR runtime for their devices. Valve will likely go that way, but I'd imagine Facebook/Oculus are just stalling or playing along - it makes more sense for them to be a closed stack business-wise.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #1572
fearlessfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Is this not compensated for by fpsVR as it shows the max load of any core at that point in time?
Kinda.

fpsVR has CPU Usage, which is the average across all the cores, like the Windows Task Manager would show. It also has a CPUmax/thread percentage that indicates the highest loaded core percentage. That is better than plain avg usage, but not perfect as it is still time sampling between the core hopping (or rather, it is using an underlying API that does that, and fpsVR reads it and passes it on).
Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #1573
Nagilem

Ok - quickly tried the Process Lasso suggestion and it cleared up my stuttering issues. I have pushed the SteamVR SS to 180% and 200% with 8x AF, no MSAA, and I got 45 frames consistent, no stuttering in the Sochi Free Flight. Interestingly, my CPU and GPU utilization still stayed at ~50% in MSI, which puzzled me with the jump from 180% to 200%. Need to do more specific testing but it is definitely SMOOTHER.

Process Lasso config for DCS

Priority Class - high

CPU Affinity - left it alone; there is no Single CPU option on the newer version. Default was no affinity

IO Priority - high

Application Power Priority - High Performance

I didn't set the mem priority so that stayed as is which I think was defaulted to normal (highest available setting)

Good stuff - Thanks Alec DeLorean and FearlessFrog. This experience is getting much better on my current hardware, which will be really amazing on the new hardware!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #1574
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
the reverb and the pimax have less stereo coverage of the screens. the pimax because of extra fov and the reverb because the screens chosen are small.
its the overlapping imag
e in stereoscopic that gives the 3d effect.
and in the reverb and pimax you get less of it than say the rift cv-1.
why it may feel flat and you cannot explain it.
Source for this? Reverb specifically.
I get the theory, but the reverb size wise is pretty close to the CV1 from my understanding, screens gotta be pretty close too. Optics are squircle so thats different.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 06-12-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Harlikwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #1575
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfrog View Post
Kinda.

fpsVR has CPU Usage, which is the average across all the cores, like the Windows Task Manager would show. It also has a CPUmax/thread percentage that indicates the highest loaded core percentage. That is better than plain avg usage, but not perfect as it is still time sampling between the core hopping (or rather, it is using an underlying API that does that, and fpsVR reads it and passes it on).
Yep, it was the CPUMax/Thread I was talking about.
fpsVR is an essential tool for this kind of thing. I honestly don't know how people try to monitor GPU/CPU loads in VR without it!
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #1576
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagilem View Post
Good stuff - Thanks Alec DeLorean and FearlessFrog. This experience is getting much better on my current hardware, which will be really amazing on the new hardware!
You have a 9900k and a 2080ti... What new hardware could possibly be on the horizon to give a big boost to DCS?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #1577
Eaglewings

FspVR provide very useful information for me.
I see percentage usage for cpu, GPU and RAM.
Also how much of the GPU ram is used.
Good tool to have to see how your system is doing in vr.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #1578
Nagilem

@Harlikwin - less boost more clarity...Reverb and Index are both on the way...

What can I say? I'm spoiled
Old 06-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #1579
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
You have a 9900k and a 2080ti... What new hardware could possibly be on the horizon to give a big boost to DCS?
Throwing more hardware at it can only do so much. Dcs VR optimizations need to come in because this is similar to throwing more developers on a project, it's not gonna get done any sooner. At some point dcs will need to change which I'm hoping the VR implementations actually help.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #1580
Quadg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Source for this? Reverb specifically.
I get the theory, but the reverb size wise is pretty close to the CV1 from my understanding, screens gotta be pretty close too. Optics are squircle so thats different.
11:30 into the review I posted before they talk about the screen physical size
it may be in the review for the vive index where they talk about it again