HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset - Page 157 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #1561
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
the reverb and the pimax have less stereo coverage of the screens. the pimax because of extra fov and the reverb because the screens chosen are small.
its the overlapping image in stereoscopic that gives the 3d effect.
and in the reverb and pimax you get less of it than say the rift cv-1.
why it may feel flat and you cannot explain it.
Hmm, interesting theory.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #1562
Nagilem

I'd like to just get to the part where I have them in hand and can make my own assessment!

No offence to anyone here, but this is all very subjective, and what I am willing to accept in performance and image quality may be very different from others.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #1563
Nagilem

@Alec DeLorean - Thanks for that. I will take a look. Just curious, do you run processlasso every time you go into DCS? or just once? How does this fix processor affinity? I saw the PDF, but the how and why weren't very clear...
Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #1564
Revs

Quote:
the reverb and the pimax have less stereo coverage of the screens. the pimax because of extra fov and the reverb because the screens chosen are small.
its the overlapping image in stereoscopic that gives the 3d effect.
and in the reverb and pimax you get less of it than say the rift cv-1.
why it may feel flat and you cannot explain it.
If that is the case then people with lower IPD will have wider FOV but lower 3D effect and people with higher IPD will have lower FOV but better 3D perception.

Then what is the min and max IPD for the reverb again? I wanna make sure I’m on the high side.

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #1565
Quadg

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Hmm, interesting theory.
they mention it in this review here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeqJjICyzeo&t=7s
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #1566
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
If that is the case then people with lower IPD will have wider FOV but lower 3D effect and people with higher IPD will have lower FOV but better 3D perception.

Then what is the min and max IPD for the reverb again? I wanna make sure I’m on the high side.
Not sure that stacks up. I'm 69mm!
In software, I think it's 59-67mm. I have it set to 67mm and it looks fine to me, except for the topic in hand!
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #1567
imacken

Quote:
they mention it in this review here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeqJjICyzeo&t=7s
Yep, seen that. Not sure they relate the stereo overlap with lack of image depth though. Maybe they do, I can't remember.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #1568
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Not sure that stacks up. I'm 69mm!
In software, I think it's 59-67mm. I have it set to 67mm and it looks fine to me, except for the topic in hand!
Then who ever is saying it’s kinda flat what please post your IPD

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #1569
fearlessfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagilem View Post
Thanks for the response FF. I'll get the fpsVR and see what else I can see.

I think you may be right - the card knows it won't make 90hz so it jumps down and idles while using the repro. Did a bit more testing in the same mission, I can get 70-90 FPS in that mission without repro on. I think repro in Auto will kick in if there is even the slightest whiff the frames will not stay above 60 hehe. I'll test a bit more tonight with MSI and possibly fpsVR on to see what is going on.

And for those who want WMR native, I'd agree with Seconda - things are pretty stable with SteamVR right now. I kinda don't want that to go away...
One thing I forgot to say yesterday and wanted to add, is that your CPU utilization indication can sometimes be a bit deceptive. Because DCS only uses one main rendering physical thread (the other one for sound and some housekeeping I believe) then it used to be the case on something like Windows 7 and an i5 2500K that you'd see 'Core 0' (or whatever was the launch core) be maxed out at 100%. You'd still see an overall 25% utilization (because cores 1,2,3 weren't doing much), but it was obvious DCS was CPU bound.

Now with Windows 10 and its new Thread Scheduler, it uses a new technique for CPU thermal management called 'core hopping'. What is happening is that the overloaded physical thread (of DCS giving all those DX11 instructions) is bounced between cores more rapidly. This helps the CPU stay cooler, but gives a bit of a false impression that DCS is uses more cores and is not CPU bound. You can play with the process affinity and such to try to prevent it, but on something like a Skylake gen chip it's pretty efficient hopping and you won't gain much.

So generally you can max out the GPU using MSAA using a high VR resolution and it should be typically to see 90% usage on that, if the power profiles on the card are ok. If you have GPU headroom (unlikely with VR) then antialiasing is good.

For the CPU and an i9 it would be typical to show 10-15% utilization and DCS would still be showing it is CPU 100% bound on the single core. The bottleneck is the CPU not being able to feed the GPU pipeline instructions fast enough in this single threaded game loop. This is a restriction of DX11 and the engine that DCS uses, and will hopefully evolve over time as they move to the Vulkan API. If you have CPU headroom (again, unlikely in VR with the single core) then Visib Range and object count could be increased.

Anyway, a bit off topic, but if you are checking out fpsVR then I wanted to provide some info around what you might see as the bottleneck.

Last edited by fearlessfrog; 06-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.
fearlessfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #1570
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfrog View Post
One thing I forgot to say yesterday and wanted to add, is that your CPU utilization indication can sometimes be a bit deceptive. Because DCS only uses one main rendering physical thread (the other one for sound and some housekeeping I believe) then it used to be the case on something like Windows 7 and an i5 2500K that you'd see 'Core 0' (or whatever was the launch core) be maxed out at 100%. You'd still see an overall 25% utilization (because cores 1,2,3 weren't doing much), but it was obvious DCS was CPU bound.

Now with Windows 10 and its new Thread Scheduler, it uses a new technique for CPU thermal management called 'core hopping'. What is happening is that the overloaded physical thread (of DCS giving all those DX11 instructions) is bounced between cores more rapidly. This helps the CPU stay cooler, but gives a bit of a false impression that DCS is uses more cores and is not CPU bound. You can play with the process affinity and such to try to prevent it, but on something like a Skylake gen chip it's pretty efficient hopping and you won't gain much.

So generally you can max out the GPU using MSAA using a high VR resolution and it should be typically to see 90% usage on that, if the power profiles on the card are ok. If you have GPU headroom (unlikely with VR) then antialiasing is good.

For the CPU and an i9 it would be typical to show 10-15% utilization and DCS would still be showing it is CPU 100% bound on the single core. The bottleneck is the CPU not being able to feed the GPU pipeline instructions fast enough in this single threaded game loop. This is a restriction of DX11 and the engine that DCS uses, and will hopefully evolve over time as they move to the Vulkan API. If you have CPU headroom (again, unlikely in VR with the single core) then Visib Range and object count could be increased.

Anyway, a bit off topic, but if you are checking out fpsVR then I wanted to provide some info around what you might see as the bottleneck.
Is this not compensated for by fpsVR as it shows the max load of any core at that point in time?