(Project on hold) Weathered cockpit textures

I91j5c6.jpg

Hi!

For the past month I've been working on enhancing the Warthog's cockpit, trying to rework and improve its kinda sterile and plasticky stock textures.

The goal is to create a more immersive and authentic experience. With a meaningful weathering (as opposed to randomly adding a lot of dirt & scratches here and there), correct labels, better shading, improved roughmet, and so on.

Ageing and weathering are being done based on photos & videos (with some semi-educated guesses where no references available). While looking at the screenshots below, keep in mind that weathering might look overdone in ModelViewer (where you have a static blurry background with nothing to distract you), but it will look "just right" in the actual sim.

Overall, this cockpit will be more suitable for arid/desert setting, but someday I might create a neutral/winter variant. Gauges (their faceplates, to be precise) will most likely be left intact for now, although I see a room for their improvement later.

Progress will occasionally be published in this topic, and you can check out the comparison gallery on my site: https://dimon.one/dimon/hawg/

P.S. If you have experience working with a real A-10 and would like to help with advice or photos, please contact me via PM or email. Everything will be kept strictly private.

UPD 5th Oct

1. The work is about 50% done. Current release estimate: December 2020.

2. This project is 100% based on the "clean" cockpit from the original A-10C Warthog (2019).

3. This project is NOT inspired by or based on ED's "aged" cockpit from the A-10C II Tank Killer.

4. I'm aiming to make it compatible with both the A-10C and the A-10C II.

UPD 22nd Jan

Despite lack of updates, the project is certainly not cancelled, so no worries. It's temporarily on hold tho, while I wait for ED to finish the remaining A-10C II features. I've tried to keep up with their random texture changes, but it's simply counter-productive.

I cannot give you any ETA, but the remaining amount of work will require about two months in total to complete it. Thanks for your patience!

Edited by Minsky
Title updated

Dima | My DCS uploads

Really nice work. I love to see others so passionate about this product. Good luck with the project.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Very nice, the before and after sliders are really helpful to see the amount of work you have done.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I just bought the A10C as it was on sale, and so looking forwards to this "upgrade" very nice looking indeed !!

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

Wow looking great Minsky!

Seems like you are finishing what ED started :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Subbed..... Waiting for download link....

i7-6700K || 64 GB DDR4 || GTX TITAN X 12 GB || TM Warthog HOTAS ||

TheAwesomePedals || OpenTrack-Custom clip || Logitech G13 and G35

F-14 | F/A-18C | A10-C | AV-8B NA | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | Ka50 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | FC3 | CA

Caucasus | Nevada NTTR | Persian Gulf

If you can build it why not!!!

Hi, I don't even fly the A10 anymore but this thread caught my eye and I had a look. WOW! Great work. Maybe ED could look at hiring you full time!

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Thank you AMVI, I'm looking forward to finish it :D

Keep going, the end is near :)

How much heavy are the textures comparing them to the stock ones in terms of bytes?

Could you give me some example?

Thanks again for all your replies, guys!

I'm currently in the rather tedious process of annotating canopy' objects, so have nothing to show yet.

Since I cannot just load the cockpit into Substance (proprietary format and whatnot), I'm spending half of my time not painting, but trying to figure out where on the texture I should paint :)

cZnA12V.png

Dima | My DCS uploads