Cockpit lighting - Yellow vs Blue

wowbagger

Can anyone clue me in on the yellow vs blue cockpit lighting? I only have yellow instruments. I assume the blue is for low light but - I have searched all the forums, videos and pdfs, I have clicked every button I can find, and scoured the controls settings. I can find no mention of why there are the two versions and how to switch between them. Clearly I'm missing something fairly obvious, so I have given up and resorted to a new 'help me' thread.

Was this something that changed after a particular patch, or just something very well hidden in the documentation?

Thanks for any guidance.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Are u asking why two different types of lighting, or are you asking how to switch between the two?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

The yellow lighting is for your eyeballs and flying at night. The blue lighting is actually UV and used for flying using Night Vision goggles.

The UV lighting is the small knob along the bottom right of the front panel. The regular instrument lighting is the cluster of three switches with brightness knobs just below your caution lights.

There's an overhead spotlight that's turned on by rotating the cap to the rear of the device. There's a red filter for this as well if you click on the front of the light.

Thanks for the reply Picklemonster!

I feel like I've played with all those controls and still can't make it work. Perhaps I need to kill the regular lights and only use the UV knob. I'll try that and see.

I didn't realize that the blue was designed for use with NV goggles.

Cheers man

Pickle got to it before I did, glad u got the answer u needed

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

After gradually increasing the mission time hour by hour I finally figured it out.

The yellow colour isn't actually lighting at all. It's a fluorescent paint that responds to the UV intensity dial. If the ambient light is bright enough it just always looks yellow. Once the ambient light diminishes, you can see the light which the fluorescent paint emits as blue. The UV switch increases the amount of blue light emitted. Works well with NVG.

But in daylight conditions it will always look yellow. You can't actually 'switch' between the two colours.