Getting better at dogfighting

HoneyViper

I just did some retesting and while the margin is slim i constantly get better turnrates flying the 21. No matter in which speedrange, as long as look not to pull to high AOA the fishbeds thrust allows it to gain a 1-2 degree/s advantage in sustained turns. The F5 with its more modern lift devices is better at unsustained turns but a long as the 21-driver knows/feels its AOA limits i dont see how the F5 can be the better dogfighter or energy fighter.

Which leads to the question: Do u guys use the f5 as a rate or radius fighter?

I would love to see any tacview file of a competently flown F5 beating another about equaly competent enemy.

If I am flying against the MiG-21, a rate fighter. Against an F-14, a radius fighter, unless there are more than one of them.

Would it be possible to provide a tacview showing your rate-fights aganst a 21? At which speeds are u able to outrate the fishbeds?

Sorry just to clarify, I use it as a rate fighter in the sense that I keep my speed up, not that I out rate it. With the MiG-21 capable of over M2, they will always be zippier.

Although if you look at the maneuver graphs for both from the official manuals, you will see the F-5E has the same sustained turn rate as the MiG-21 at about 2000 feet higher. Which means if they are level, F-5E has the turn advantage. I think we have all see the report of the Soviet Tests of the F-5E and how it can dominate a MiG-21Bis in 1 minute.

Two things that help a lot in the F-5 for me: using the thumb switch to avoid manoeuvre flaps deploying when you're trying to unload and accelerate, and using the rudder with centred aileron to roll at low speed/high AoA. While it's a jet that makes it difficult to have the initiative throughout the fight, it is one of the best at turning the tables.