DCS World basic procedures tutorial?

wowbagger

Has anyone made or does anyone know of a tutorial which covers basic procedures for general activity in DCS World for the hard-of-learning noob?

I'm talking about things which are common to all modules and missions. Things like :

- When/how/whether/from whom to request permission for startup/taxi/take off/landing.

- What the runway IDs indicate and how to navigate to the right end of the runway.

- What ATC, JTAC, etc stand for and what to contact them for. I understand Air Traffic Control, but am shaky about Jair Traffic Control. :unsure:

- Tips such as remember to Turn Off ground power before taxi otherwise you get yelled at!:poster_oops:

And all the other bits and bobs which make the DCS World go round but aren't specifically discussed in the tutorials for every (any?) module. There seems to be an assumption that everyone knows this stuff, or will figure it out through hours and hours and hours of game play. I'm used to hitting a single button to start the engine, looking for the green flare, taking off, and using a map and eyeballs to find my way to a bulls-eye and back. And when the mission is over, just rolling my way into the first empty parking spot I see.

As a newcomer to DCS I find it far easier to become proficient in a particular aircraft than it is to learn these basic procedures for integrating into the DCS way of doing things.

Thanks for any guidance or pointers to guidance. And Happy Holidays to everyone. :holiday:

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

What, you mean like a manual? Yeah.... one comes with the game.

I have been reading these forums only a very short time, but already I have learned that your posts are all as helpful and friendly as this. A+ for consistency. I hope Santa will improve your year for you.

Also, I think you might be mistaken in this case, since searching the manual I haven't found a discussion of these things.

But thanks for taking the time to reply.

Edited by wowbagger

I have been reading these forums only a very short time, but already I have learned that your posts are all as helpful and friendly as this.

On every Internet Forum you will find people unhelpful .. you may want to add them to your ignore list: https://forums.eagle.ru/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Also, I think you might be mistaken in case, since searching the manual I haven't found a discission of these things.

At least with regard to the communication with the ATC, most of ED's aircraft manuals do have a communication section, tough I agree that it is like trying to speak a foreign language with just a dictionary. For example, on the Su-25T it is on page 36 onwards, on the A-10C its on page 629 onwards, etc.

On my particular case, I learned about this type of things with my first aircraft, the Su-25T, and following Robert Sogomonian's excellent YouTube tutorial on the type. He tells you what the meaning of the different aircraft lights are, and the basic comm with the tower ... the rest you learn trough experience :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On every Internet Forum you will find people unhelpful .. you may want to add them to your ignore list: https://forums.eagle.ru/profile.php?do=ignorelist

At least with regard to the communication with the ATC, most of ED's aircraft manuals do have a communication section, tough I agree that it is like trying to speak a foreign language with just a dictionary. For example, on the Su-25T it is on page 36 onwards, on the A-10C its on page 629 onwards, etc.

On my particular case, I learned about this type of things with my first aircraft, the Su-25T, and following Robert Sogomonian's excellent YouTube tutorial on the type. He tells you what the meaning of the different aircraft lights are, and the basic comm with the tower ... the rest you learn trough experience :)

Best regards

Thanks for that advice - clearly one of the better forum functions available.

I will check out the A-10c manual. I have owned that module for years, but never got stuck into it because it's just not appealing to me. I only recently decided to actually put the effort into learning DCS and picked up some modules from Razbam and Heatblur which are much more enticing for me than the A-10.

Thanks for suggestion about Robert Sogomonian's Youtube videos. I've watched dozens and dozens of DCS videos, but have yet to come across his stuff. I will definitely check it out.

I very much appreciate your effort to be helpful and engaging. Cheers!

Thanks for suggestion about Robert Sogomonian's Youtube videos. I've watched dozens and dozens of DCS videos, but have yet to come across his stuff. I will definitely check it out.

They are by now pretty old videos, but his teachings are still current:

O-55eDVnu5o

Playlist:

This is a prologue, the full tutorial extends for 10 more videos .. I remember having watched them on an iPad while I was flying along on the PC, pausing either of them as needed :D

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Yes, yes, Zhuk bad, Zhuk bad. Making a post with questions that have doubtless been asked 15,000 times before, waiting 1-3 days for useful answers to crop up... when 5-10 minutes spent with Google or the evil forum search bar will typically find the answers sought. Yes, I know, terrible me with my internet etiquette and "self help" mentality lol

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Dude, there are so many better things to pride yourself on than simply being anonymously abrasive on the internet. Especially when you don't have a real answer to share.

And yes, I searched quite extensively for answers to my questions before posting - as I am sure many people to whom you dole out your helpful input do.

In any event, hope you have a nice holiday next week. Bring some cheer to those around you.

Edited by wowbagger

Has anyone made or does anyone know of a tutorial which covers basic procedures for general activity in DCS World for the hard-of-learning noob?

I'm talking about things which are common to all modules and missions. Things like :

- When/how/whether/from whom to request permission for startup/taxi/take off/landing.

- What the runway IDs indicate and how to navigate to the right end of the runway.

- What ATC, JTAC, etc stand for and what to contact them for. I understand Air Traffic Control, but am shaky about Jair Traffic Control. :unsure:

- Tips such as remember to Turn Off ground power before taxi otherwise you get yelled at!:poster_oops:

And all the other bits and bobs which make the DCS World go round but aren't specifically discussed in the tutorials for every (any?) module. There seems to be an assumption that everyone knows this stuff, or will figure it out through hours and hours and hours of game play. I'm used to hitting a single button to start the engine, looking for the green flare, taking off, and using a map and eyeballs to find my way to a bulls-eye and back. And when the mission is over, just rolling my way into the first empty parking spot I see.

As a newcomer to DCS I find it far easier to become proficient in a particular aircraft than it is to learn these basic procedures for integrating into the DCS way of doing things.

Thanks for any guidance or pointers to guidance. And Happy Holidays to everyone. :holiday:

When you are new to DCS or Flight sims in general. Stop trying to do it all by the book and enjoy the journey. Fighter pilots are well trained in aviation before becoming a Fighter pilot.

I use the other sims to learn more about the civil side, plenty of books here to start with.;)

You can pretend and many do setup in multiplayer or single player and do it all close "by the book".

You should pretend your at an uncontrolled airport / Non-towered airport. This is also what some servers do when flying online with dcs simple radio. DCS simple radio hooks in to DCS and allows you to use the radios in the F/A-18 and others to talk to others with simple radio on the server and allows you to say your intentions to others (Landing etc), not ATC, just like when at uncontrolled airports.

Just for now anyway, there is so much to learn just in aviation, then air2 air, air to ground. Then all the air and ground units you might encounter and deal with and how to deal with. Yep, lots to learn (Forever):cry: we could just keep this thread going forever.:)

You need to find you niche in this niche and stick to it for a bit, it might change along the way like it has for many.

I recommend learning to takeoff, navigate (Many ways to Nav too) Fly the TF-51d in (VFR) and just really learn to fly patterns, touch and go's and fly to another airport etc.

DCS ATC is ok, it is going to get an overhaul at some point. I just pretend I've contacted ground to taxi. Then you can look up the airport chart to see how to taxi. C?:Program FilesEagle DynamicsDCS WorldDocCharts

Or look to see if you can grab the real chart online, many real pilots have there charts printed or on the Ipad etc. We list them all here in Australia

"Navigate to the right end of the runway"

Lookup the airport chart and or look at the HSI or cheat and use the F10 map.

JTAC: look up

once you are ready (Know the basics at least first) to become a military pilot.;) This also depends on the aircraft you are learning and all it's systems. You could make just the A-10C your full time sim career learning all it's systems, procedures and all the potential enemy ground targets. It takes me a bit to get back into and have a little proficiency after taking some time off with other aircraft.

There is lots to learn, if you like the Su-25t this is a great guide on steam, I've been playing around on a sever with the Su-25t and needed to work out what the weapons do so I could sort out a weapons load out. That guide came in handy.

The community helps get others up to speed and also takes some pressure off ED spending 1000s of hours in tutorials.

For an example: Download these documents for the aircraft your interested in learning and watch YouTube. Then also read the DCS manual and or NATOPS manuals.

All that and I barely scratched the surface.:cry::huh:

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

They are by now pretty old videos, but his teachings are still current: ...

O-55eDVnu5o

Playlist:

This is a prologue, the full tutorial extends for 10 more videos .. I remember having watched them on an iPad while I was flying along on the PC, pausing either of them as needed :D

Best regards

Cool. I'll check them all out. Thanks man!

When you are new to DCS or Flight sims in general. Stop trying to do it all by the book and enjoy the journey. Fighter pilots are well trained in aviation before becoming a Fighter pilot.

I use the other sims to learn more about the civil side, plenty of books here to start with.wink.gif

You can pretend and many do setup in multiplayer or single player and do it all close "by the book".

You should pretend your at an uncontrolled airport / Non-towered airport. This is also what some servers do when flying online with dcs simple radio. DCS simple radio hooks in to DCS and allows you to use the radios in the F/A-18 and others to talk to others with simple radio on the server and allows you to say your intentions to others (Landing etc), not ATC, just like when at uncontrolled airports.

Just for now anyway, there is so much to learn just in aviation, then air2 air, air to ground. Then all the air and ground units you might encounter and deal with and how to deal with. Yep, lots to learn (Forever)cry.gif we could just keep this thread going forever.smile.gif

You need to find you niche in this niche and stick to it for a bit, it might change along the way like it has for many.

I recommend learning to takeoff, navigate (Many ways to Nav too) Fly the TF-51d in (VFR) and just really learn to fly patterns, touch and go's and fly to another airport etc.

DCS ATC is ok, it is going to get an overhaul at some point. I just pretend I've contacted ground to taxi. Then you can look up the airport chart to see how to taxi. C?:Program FilesEagle DynamicsDCS WorldDocCharts

Or look to see if you can grab the real chart online, many real pilots have there charts printed or on the Ipad etc. We list them all here in Australia

"Navigate to the right end of the runway"

Lookup the airport chart and or look at the HSI or cheat and use the F10 map.

JTAC: look up

once you are ready (Know the basics at least first) to become a military pilot.wink.gif This also depends on the aircraft you are learning and all it's systems. You could make just the A-10C your full time sim career learning all it's systems, procedures and all the potential enemy ground targets. It takes me a bit to get back into and have a little proficiency after taking some time off with other aircraft.

There is lots to learn, if you like the Su-25t this is a great guide on steam, I've been playing around on a sever with the Su-25t and needed to work out what the weapons do so I could sort out a weapons load out. That guide came in handy.

The community helps get others up to speed and also takes some pressure off ED spending 1000s of hours in tutorials.

For an example: Download these documents for the aircraft your interested in learning and watch YouTube. Then also read the DCS manual and or NATOPS manuals.

All that and I barely scratched the surface.cry.gifhuh.gif

Wow, thanks for that awesome reply. I admit I have a bad habit of when searching for Youtube guidance on DCS automatically discounting the early stuff from 2012-2013 because I assume it is out of date or broken by now - considering how many things get broken with each generation of patches. But I guess I should look at the early stuff more seriously too.

I have all of Chuck's awesome guides and they are great for the individual modules. My problem isn't learning the aircraft - it's the pretending I know how to interact with the (DCS) world around my aircraft.

I will check out the videos that you and Rudel_chw have kindly shared and see if I can augment my pretending with those. Thanks man.

Have a great summer holiday. (Is it weird, even when you are born and bred with it, to have Christmas in the summer? :D)

Edited by wowbagger

Have a great summer holiday. (Is it weird, even when you are born and bred with it, to have Christmas in the summer? :D)

Where are you located? I’m on the desert with a sunny day, yet my xmas tree is adorned with fake snow that the cat is trying to catch :)

Where are you located? I’m on the desert with a sunny day, yet my xmas tree is adorned with fake snow that the cat is trying to catch :)

Haha!

This year we are in the U.S. (with no snow :mad:), but we move all over the world. I've had a few summer Christmases in southern Africa, and in South East Asia we used some birds-of-paradise instead of a Christmas tree one year.

Right now, I would take your sunny summer desert instead of our overcast, chilly, dirt brown non-season, (Chile > chilly :lol:).

Have a great holiday.

• 1 month later...

OMG!

The original question has been (analogous) "Is there already a collection of all that rules..." not "How do I ...".

Not a single of those squirts has really answered to him. I'm sure, Pudu knows how to use the Internet.

So now is my answer here: I do not know of a work what Pudu is searching for (as I do also - so I stumbled in here).

If you want to simulate real procedures there is just the hard way: Read and learn all the suggested "shit". ;)

For learning all that you'll need a second life.

So on one hand would be a guide - as Pudu is looking for - very appreciated.

But on the other hand: DCS-World isn't the right place for that (as I've learned the painful way): ATC, JTAC, Ground- and pre-start procedures are simulated in just a simple (even sometimes wrong) way. All is sharp simplified. So those Arcade Players do not loose their fun (and can tell theire friends they fly sim).

If you want to simulate real aviators life: You will have to go for a real Simulator (There are a few, I do not call the names.).

DCS is called "Simulator" but if you take a closer look you'll find out it is (a very detailed modeled, but) just a game.

Much to my regret as I spent a lot of time (and money) before I found out. Now I'm sitting here and try to make the best of it.

Edited by Tekkx

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

OMG!

The original question has been (analogous) "Is there already a collection of all that rules..." not "How do I ...".

Not a single of those squirts has really answered to him. I'm sure, Pudu knows how to use the Internet.

So now is my answer here: I do not know of a work what Pudu is searching for (as I do also - so I stumbled in here).

If you want to simulate real procedures there is just the hard way: Read and learn all the suggested "shit". ;)

For learning all that you'll need a second life.

So on one hand would be a guide - as Pudu is looking for - very appreciated.

But on the other hand: DCS-World isn't the right place for that (as I've learned the painful way): ATC, JTAC, Ground- and pre-start procedures are simulated in just a simple (even sometimes wrong) way. All is sharp simplified. So those Arcade Players do not loose their fun (and can tell theire friends they fly sim).

If you want to simulate real aviators life: You will have to go for a real Simulator (There are a few, I do not call the names.).

DCS is called "Simulator" but if you take a closer look you'll find out it is (a very detailed modeled, but) just a game.

Much to my regret as I spent a lot of time (and money) before I found out. Now I'm sitting here and try to make the best of it.

If I want it all correct I would not use any sim unless you are flying with vatsim or pilotedge.

ATC starts at 3:00 in video

Yes DCS's ATC needs some work and it will, just like ALL the big major other updates already done for free.

Also, no sim I know does it perfectly with also taxi directions (Civi only) . The only real way I've played combat mission with semi real ATC / AWACS is in MP.

That also go's with any another sim and these days I only use DCS for MP.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I understand your frustratin i too wanted to try and fly as close to rl possible but it wasn’t until joined csg1 and got there radio procedures that i got a standardize procedude that works for them. Imo it isn’t by ffa regs. No engine start calls plus other small discrepancies but it does help when and who to call.. there is another unit that did a pdf on radio calls what and how to say various things. The lack of training orther than the combat systems is severely lacking. I would like to see ai ground school for both fixed and rotary aircraft the intermediate training in a trainer then finally an advanced training on yourairframe of choice thatcoversall the systems. Then when you show up at your unit you do a check flight to show flying. Abilities and they enter you in your combat training and tactics. But everyone wants to go straight to the3 combat.

Imo flying is just as if not more. So than. The combat but since its a sim and you will not die from poor airmanship its overlooked.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I don't think the OP is asking how to fly as realistically as possible, but just what to do with the elements DCS provides out of the box.

Most of the items you list in the first post are basic aviation concepts. This is my go-to reference: Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots: Real World Training. Ignore the fact that it says FSX in the title; it is still a very accessible and complete guide on aviation for enthusiasts. The best I have found, I would say.

Not a tutorial. Not free. But you get everything, except for combat procedures, explained in an accessible and entertaining language. Check the table of contents.

(I am not related to this publication in any way, other than having it in my bookshelf, that is..)

I don't think the OP is asking how to fly as realistically as possible, but just what to do with the elements DCS provides out of the box.

Most of the items you list in the first post are basic aviation concepts. This is my go-to reference: Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots: Real World Training. Ignore the fact that it says FSX in the title; it is still a very accessible and complete guide on aviation for enthusiasts. The best I have found, I would say.

Not a tutorial. Not free. But you get everything, except for combat procedures, explained in an accessible and entertaining language. Check the table of contents.

(I am not related to this publication in any way, other than having it in my bookshelf, that is..)

I'm not sure it's quite what the OP is looking for, but I agree that the FSX book is excellent, and a very good read for anyone interested in piloting, whether you have access to a real aircraft or not.