3. FLAP switch - full

8. Throttle - OFF

When amber FLAPS light illuminates -

9. BATT switch - OFF

WARNING

Turning battery switch off before the amber FLAPS light illuminates

could result in severe uncommanded flight control movement. The only

cockpit indication that hydraulics have been removed from the flight

controls, and that they are no longer powered, is the amber FLAPS light.

I waited (and waited) but the amber FLAPS light never illuminated when attemting this in-game.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I spend a lot of time trying to figure this out. The FLAPS light does not come on when you power down the jet.

One thing I did notice consistently is that the FCES caution comes on. I wonder if that's an error in the NATOPS?

The FLAPS light hasn't come on for me on any of my shutdowns so far.

I noticed this as well, but simply thought it was an oversight that would be corrected quickly. From the Line Maintenance Manuel section 22 for Engine Operation it states

e. When amber FLAPS light comes on, set BATT switch to OFF.

I can also attest that on battery switch to on, the light should be illuminated, and stays illuminated until FCS reset is pressed, and FLAPS OFF caution is removed from the DDI. Then on shutdown roughly 6% N2 the amber FLAPS light illuminates again. I can also say from experience that turning the battery off before getting the amber Flaps indication will cause the trailing edge flaps to raise to the up or trailing position.

Flap amber light after eng shut down

Gents,

I hope you are doing all right. First of all, congratulations for such wonderful module. I am having a lot of fun with it.

I noticed a minor discrepancy that I’d like to consult you. After both engines shut down, flap amber light was supposed to come on and it doesn’t.

My reference is NATOPS Flight Manual FA-18A/B/C/D, page III-7-35 (page 341 of the pdf). In there it says:

7. L® DDI, HI/MPCD, and HUD - OFF

8. Throttle - OFF

When amber FLAPS light illuminates -

9. BATT switch - OFF

I know you have you plate full at this moment and this is a minor minor thing. Maybe in the future you’d like to add this feature in the module. This is my attempt to contribute a little bit.

All the best,

Sydy

• 4 months later...

No flaps amber light at shutdown

Though the manual insists that the battery should not be switched back to off while hydraulic power is still present in the flight controls, and that the FLAPS amber light is the only indication thereof. However, although pumping the controls, I haven't been able to have the light come up after engine shutdown.

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

FLAPS Caution on the Lower Left Instrument panel incorrect

The FLAPS (amber) indicator caution light on the front instrument Panel should illuminate after engine shutdown prior to securing the Battery due to Lack of Hydraulic Pressure. It likely won't come on right away but the pilot should verify that the FLAPS light illuminates prior to turning the Battery OFF. Reference NATOPS Manual paragraph... 2.8.4.3 Flap Position Lights.

• ED Team

Merged threads

I will investigate

EDIT: I reported this 31/Mar/2020 I will ask for a progress update but can not promise anything.

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Merged threads

I will investigate

EDIT: I reported this 31/Mar/2020 I will ask for a progress update but can not promise anything.

thanks

Hi, many thanks for that. Obvs, it's not a major issue, but for such a polished product it does grate when the behaviour does not agree with the normal proc checklists.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 3 weeks later...

FLAPS Light on lower left panel

This light should come on with the Battery on and no hydraulics is available... It's a critical step on the aircraft shutdown procedure... The light should come on when hydraulics reads zero on both systems and the Battery is still on. Only then can you turn the Battery OFF. Ref: III-7-35 of the NATOPS Flight Manual. There is a WARNING...

WARNING:

Turning battery switch off before the amber FLAPS light illuminates

could result in severe uncommanded flight control movement. The only

cockpit indication that hydraulics have been removed from the flight

controls, and that they are no longer powered, is the amber FLAPS light.

I suspect that the FLAPS light should also be on during startup with the Battery on and no engines running (No Hydraulics).

Edited by Bonz

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
6 hours ago, Minsky said:

Not yet.

I see. My fault. I believed in their promises getting out of EA latest ending 2022. Anyway, a loooong time for a simple light. Ok, the whole hydraulic system is bugged after shutdown because you can wipe the controls for hours without engines just on battery power🥳

Edited by Foxmike

From this mini-update: 

We are performing a ground up review of and refactoring of the Hornet flight model and flight control system

This might include the hydraulic/flaps light logic.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• 4 weeks later...
  • BIGNEWY changed the title to FLAPS light on engine shutdown?
  • BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • ED Team

this is still in our list, just low priority currently. 

When we have a tweak we will add it to the change log

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 months later...

There are a few reasons why you get the amber FLAPS light (Ref. Page 1.2.57 of the NATOPS manual). 1. Flap switch HALF or FULL and airspeed over 250 Knots. 2. Abnormal Flap Condition (Any Flap is off or Lacks Hydraulic Pressure). 3. Aircraft is in Spin Recovery Mode. 4. Gain Switch in ORIDE position. 

On aircraft shutdown there is a WARNING (Ref. Page III-7-35 of the NATOPS Manual), "Turning the battery off before the amber FLAPS light illuminates could result in severe uncommanded flight control movement. The only cockpit indication that Hydraulics have been removed from the flight controls and that they are no longer powered is the amber FLAPS light.

The FLAPS light in DCS works for three of the four conditions... 1. Both the flaps HALF and FULL Overspeed conditions, the ORIDE position of the Gain switch, and when the aircraft is in the SPIN mode. (Spin switch in the SPIN position). It doesn't work in the Hydraulics zero position following engine shutdown.