How do I use Tpod on moving targets

oldcrusty

I wish I could do it like Cmdr. Fravor with his ATFLIR when he was chasing the 'TicTac'

There is a chance I'm missing a step or 2 but currently I can only lock a truck size moving target at around 5 nm or closer.

Also, FLIR tracked vehicle #1 while MavF snapped to vehicle #2.

Also, FLIR tracked vehicle #1 while MavF snapped to vehicle #2.

You just killed an innocent wife and child instead of the evil war lord. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also keep in mind that if something feels cumbersome, doesn't necessarily mean that it's wrong.

It means that it is dangerous, when it comes to weapon systems.

The MAVF seeker will slave to the current AG designation. PTRK does not update the AG designation as the TPOD LOS changes. Use the Offset Cursor in the middle of the reticle to update the designation when it's time for the seeker to lock something.

As for PTRK, when you're closer to the target, either try to engage it as the target passes below the reticle (be in ATRK and switch to PTRK then) or if you're already in PTRK, change the zoom level back and forth, the TPOD will reevaluate the contrast in the picture then. I don't know if this is required IRL (I suspect not), it's not with the FLIR cameras we use at work, but it works well in DCS.

Also keep in mind that the range that PTRK will work has been reduced to reflect real world performance. The problem is that the picture quality using digital zoom (the 2-9 zoom levels) is far too good in DCS, giving you the impression that the TPOD should be able to track much better and further than it does. I've read (but haven't confirmed independently) that IRL, the FLIR mode can't zoom as much as it does in DCS.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The MAVF seeker will slave to the current AG designation. PTRK does not update the AG designation as the TPOD LOS changes. Use the Offset Cursor in the middle of the reticle to update the designation when it's time for the seeker to lock something.

As for PTRK, when you're closer to the target, either try to engage it as the target passes below the reticle (be in ATRK and switch to PTRK then) or if you're already in PTRK, change the zoom level back and forth, the TPOD will reevaluate the contrast in the picture then. I don't know if this is required IRL (I suspect not), it's not with the FLIR cameras we use at work, but it works well in DCS.

Also keep in mind that the range that PTRK will work has been reduced to reflect real world performance. The problem is that the picture quality using digital zoom (the 2-9 zoom levels) is far too good in DCS, giving you the impression that the TPOD should be able to track much better and further than it does. I've read (but haven't confirmed independently) that IRL, the FLIR mode can't zoom as much as it does in DCS.

I don't know. If I designed the system (:megalol:) I would make sure the operator can lock any semi-consistent pattern, as long as there is 'some' contrast there. Now... as you get closer, you'll be able and change/refine/abort or whatever. Yea, over 20nm I'd think might be a stretch but... just a amateur talking here:)

The offset (designated) is probably just a 'guide' for the MAVF seeker to snap to. It could snap to another nearby target. Just have to try it again if that happens :)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Yes, I know... the backseater. Trust me, I knew someone would point it out, :thumbup:

Neither Fravor's aircraft, nor his wingmans were equipped with a pod for the incident. The video was recorded by a follow-up flight.

You have to put the cursor ahead of the moving target and flip from area and point track at exactly the right timing so that the target happens to be in the middle of the captain's bars when it arrives in point track. If you miss then you have to get the pod out in front of the target again, cycle through the non-area-point mode and then try again. The transition times are not at all short either. It's insane.

;4477271']Neither Fravor's aircraft' date=' nor his wingmans were equipped with a pod for the incident. The video was recorded by a follow-up flight.[/quote']

Well, in that case let me rephrase my OP statement... "I wish I had the Tpod (and the code it runs on;)) that the follow up flight had.:D At least Fravor had the AESA.