Which drive to put DCS on.

I'm upgrading from a cr@p laptop to a mid level gaming laptop. It comes with 512 GB M.2 NVMe with Windows 10 OS installed.

I'm ordering another M.2 SSD NvMe PCIe 1TB for the second slot, which is available.

That's way more than enough storage for me (though this laptop also comes with an empty 2.5 bay as well)

What I'd like your opinions on is, if I should install DCS onto the 512GB M.2 SSD which has the OS on it already ..... or ...... install it on the empty 1TB M.2 SSD drive?

In other words, should DCS be kept away from the OS if possible or away from Photos and Documents etc?

And if it is better to keep games separate from everything else.

Does it even matter where I put them? Both drives are equally as fast.

Do you have any hints on loading DCS and all it's maps and mods which I have bought over the years, onto the new machine? Or just do a clean install of DCS World...... and what about the serial numbers? Are they automatically recognized by ED?

Will I have to uninstall DCS off my old machine because of some limitations by ED or something?

Thanks

Edited by Cpt Cuckoo

Definitely the new drive

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

What I'd like your opinions on is, if I should install DCS onto the 512GB M.2 SSD which has the OS on it already ..... or ...... install it on the empty 1TB M.2 SSD drive?

Even if the two drives are the same speed it is always good for performance to divide the system load over the two drives rather than place the load mostly on a single drive.

So, leave your /Saved Games/ folder on the windows drive and place the DCS program on the new SSD. Also, be sure to use only the Windows drive for Window's virtual memory, that way the memory paging operations wont be competing with the DCS main program for access to the drive, like this (I have DCS on drive G)

BJvExMc.jpg

(sorry, my windows is in spanish ... you get here with Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Configuration -> Advanced Options -> Performance)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

My personal preference is to keep the OS drive seperate from as much software and files as possible.

Makes an eventual OS reinstall go smoother.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Exactly. I have the:

- O/S installed on the first NVMe M.2

- DCS is installed on a second NVMe M.2

- My page/swap file is installed on a dedicated 3rd NVMe M.2 (yes, maybe over kill, but I had a free slot for it, and got the drive on sale via AMZ).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control