Ask Nick Grey about the DCS: P-47

NineLine

• ED Team

Dear all,

I know many of you have been asking for this, and Nick has agreed to field some questions about the DCS: P-47 and his thoughts on how it compares to the real thing. If you have some questions about this subject you would like to have Mr. Grey answer, feel free to add them below, after some time I will close this thread and get your questions answered.

Thanks!

PS as far as I am aware, most current P-47s, at least what Nick flew, did not have or use the turbo for safety reasons, and probably won't be able to address too much on that.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Hi Nick!

I heard that there was some missing documentation for the P-47D, and that Eagle Dynamics had to resort to (I'm assuming virtual) wind tunnel testing. What information and behaviors were taken from that wind tunnel testing and applied to our P-47D? Are there any peculiarities that stuck out, or did anything seem to not correlate entirely with documentation from the period or other reports?

Thanks o7

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Nick

In the song " Johnny Come Lately " by Steve Earle and the Dukes, the protagonist refers to his P-47 as a 'pretty good ship' - would you agree with his assessment ?

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

i dont have access to the p-47 yet, since i play stable. i jost wanted to chime in and say thanks to the whole crew for what is ultimately a fantastic product(we've all come a long was from microsoft flightsim 1!) & thanx to those who have the sometimes difficult, oftentimes thankless job of engaging with an incredibly passionate community, and thanks personally to Nick for being personally accessible to the community, the first to shoulder responsibility when things go wrong and to defer compliments to the crew when things go right

i dont even know much about the p47, but i look forward to flying it when it comes to stable

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Nick, good evening and thanks for taking the time to answer the communities questions about the Work of Art the Jug is. First off on YouTube I am Rich Jones and in discord, Crom.

Some things I admire from your interview with the grim reapers was you going into the Jug and speaking as a Pilot of that aircraft. I was hoping you could expand upon that dialog and maybe just going over the sounds smells and all the steps you took to get that baby in the air. Curious to know if you flew the Jug with both the super charger and turbo? I assume not for the turbo but ask anyway.

How on the spot did you have to be with the cowl flaps, currently in dcs yes it’s Early access and missing some features and functionality so just asking in a reference for the future when flying complete Jug in dcs. Actually most of my questions will be in that light.

The feeling I got flying 20 plus hours in the Storm of War server, was that she is just an absolute brilliant gun platform, and bombs as well. Curious to know when you flew her did that immediately become apparent, and how did She compare in feeling to the other warbirds you have flown?

When pointing the nose down in the Jug I called it a bull building steam and look out, was that also something that really knocked your socks off in the real thing?

How was she in the landing phase? Solid and stable or a little wiggly? I’ll be honest in VR in dcs I am still trying to get the perfect 3 pointer down, any pointers ha no pun intended.

I had posted to yo-yo in forums about this stuff, bringing to life a bird you folks had owned and operated. For you Nick as a SME and Pilot of the Jug, how has it been translating your experience into the digital realm aka Dcs. Getting it to just feel right compared to all the wizardly that Yo-Yo does. Be cool to hear kind of a deep dive of how all that works. Was very cool to see for instance the development of the lovely D9 190 and and revisiting the Dora YouTube video.

I probably have a million more tech and such questions but I just look forward to the Dialog, and truly love this Jug and the love You folks have obviously put and continue to put into it.

Thank you for your time, Rich:thumbup:

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Was it really as easy to stall while landing as it is in DCS?

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

How is the interaction between the prop pitch, MP, RPM and current engine power modeled differently from the Mustang?

I ask because I've done some speed tests and it doesn't seem to work quite like the mustang in game.

In short... Which one do you feel is more correct and why? Or are they both correct?

What are the details of the engine modeling? Things like temperature effects, mixture issues... all of it. One of the best things about the WWII birds is that you really have to run them actively if you want max performance. Things like manually opening and closing the radiators to keep the engine and drag in best conditions to extract every last little bit. It would be great to know the details of the 47... Can we run full rich to keep it a little cooler in order to close down the rads a bit more? Sometime that last MPH matters :).

In my testing it seems that overheating the engine (Cylinder Head Temp) has a detrimental effect on maximum speed... Am I imagining things?

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

What process did you go through to learn to fly the P-47 (in real life)? Are there any 2-seat P-47s out there so you can fly with an instructor, or if not, how did that work? Lots of ground training, then cross your fingers and hop in?

And do you remember any impressions of your first solo flight in the Jug?

Thanks!

Edited by NoJoe

Please describe your fondest memory of flying the P-47?

Please describe your scariest moment flying the P-47?

How much heavier are the stick, and pedals to move, compared to other planes of the era you have flown, if at all?

What process did you go through to learn to fly the P-47 (in real life)? Are there any 2-seat P-47s out there so you can fly with an instructor, or if not, how did that work? Lots of ground training, then cross your fingers and hop in?

Don't wish to go off topic, but on the subject of crossing your fingers and hopping in,

a great recollection from a WW2 Hurricane pilot. Great viewing. :pilotfly:

Thanks for the Q&A best wished for the ED team, and 3rd parties as well.

? What differences are there in the Ai P-47 vs. the player flown one that you would like to share, apart from the obvious of course ?

Edited by cauldron

Hello Mr. Grey.

Since you had the pleasure to fly both the mustang and the jug, do you recommend the more "tame" jug for a non initiated instead of the wild mustang and her infamous high speed stall on turning? The P47 certainly feels more noble on all the flight envelope than the mustang. Is that true to the aircraft?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello,

How would YOU compare it with the Dora in terms of performance (roll rate, turn rate, top speed @ SL, etc) and ergonomics? Thank you.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Thanks!

World War II-era single seat fighter training went like this:

1. Stearman PT (primary training) for first solo and basics/fundamentals of flying

- biplane taildragger air cooled radial

2. AT-6 Texan (advanced training) for high performance flight dynamics training, gunnery & air combat maneuvering training

3. First flight in a P-47 or other single seat warbird was done solo with an IP (instructor pilot) wingman, which continued to be an air force tradition for single seat fighters w/ no 2-seat trainer version aside from 2x TP-47G conversions (built out of Razorback airframes). As a side note, just like with the TF-51, two seat training models were tried here and there, but for sake of training time, practicality, safety and so many other factors, two-seat trainers just didn't make much sense in most cases during WWII, and the doctrine of patterning single seat fighters off of the T-6 (or vice versa, depending on who's telling the story) proved out to be pretty sound. To be totally honest, sitting in the back "seat" of a TF-51D for example, which I recommend you do should you get the chance at a museum or airshow (or go for a ride in one!) - you will rapidly notice just how little "trianing" the backseater is in a position to really offer, aside from moral support and explaining instrumentation over the shoulder.

Single seat fighters of the era were designed specifically with the AT-6 in mind for flight fundamentals in a rough sense; in the warbird world today (read: airshow flying) any foundation/museum etc will require a pilot to have a few hundred hours in T-6s before they'll even let you sit in one of their warbirds (as a pilot who they will allow to fly their aircraft).

The rule was, very practically, and its still true today, if you can safely take a T-6 out for a spin and bring it back in one piece, you'll be able to do the same with [insert US single seat warbird here] as well.

Naturally ground handling was different for each, cockpit layout, switches, engine management etc varies to a certain extent but... that was about it.

Edited by Schwarzfeld

Hi Nick!

In a previous interview I believe you mentioned that you'd had a chance to do some mock dogfighting in the P47 and maybe other warbirds, is that correct? If so could you please tell us more about these experiences? What sort of rules are followed in these engagements, what altitudes, what planes are used, how many g do you reckon you pull to in these etc etc I'm sure we would find all the details very interesting.