Computer experts opinion needed

HoYa

I simply love this game.....

I have a stand alone computer only for DCS, nothing else. However my hard drive is almost completely full so I am going to get it upgraded. Since I’m taking the computer for service (no way I’m doing it). I’m going to get the BIOS updated and might as well make it work even better with my oculus rift S.

What would you upgrade to ? Keeping it around $500

My stuff

Windows 10, 64 bit

Intel ® Core i7-6700k cpu@ 4.00ghz (8cpus) ~4.0 ghz

direct x 12

Memory 32768mb ram

Page file 3907 mb used, 33690mb available

Nvidia GeForce gtx 1070

Total memory 24454 mb

Display memory 8088 mb

Thanks yo all who respond !

Edited by HoYa

Your list doesn't really tell us too much to be honest.

Your i7 6700K is running at stock speeds. Providing it's on a Z series motherboard it can be told to run even faster (overclocked). We don't know what cooler you have for it or the case for us to suggest an upgrade to tame an overclock.

You say your Hard drive is full but not what drive it is. Hopefully it's an SSD if not it should be. If it's a "small SSD" (256-512GB) it's not difficult to add another SSD drive solely for DCS and other games.

Your 1070 GPU is "okay" for VR but an upgrade would help for VR games. Personally I'd wait for Nvidia to release their 3000 series GPUs later this year before upgrading.

Motherboard info and drive information: Hard drive you mention but is it a "old" harddisk or an SSD?

If it's an old HD, i would go for an SSD and an overclock on the CPU since it's a K version, stock aircooler out, liquidcooler in (decent liquidcooler you can have for less then 120$) and also replace the contact paste that will be on the stock CPU with something better, genre Artic Silver or so. Will make already a few °C on heat. All this can be done for under 500$.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

What info can I provide ?

Look at the sig of Lange who has posted. That small print added tells me his CPU, the speed it's at and what's cooling it. The motherboard, how much Memory (RAM) and it's speed, the exact make and model of the graphics card, the monitor and VR headset, even the controllers he uses. I think the only thing missing is the case that holds the main PC parts.

Lange's advice really echoes what I've already said. You don't really need a liquid cooler, good air coolers can be just as effective. We can't recommend coolers without knowing what your case can support or what you already have to be honest.

In a nutshell if I was you. I'd overclock the i7K CPU with adequate cooling, providing you have a Z series motherboard. Install a Solid State Drive as you're planning to buy a hard drive anyway. Upgrade the GPU later in the year when Nvidia has the 3000 series GPUs out. If you don't own a HOTAS controller buying one would be a good idea. The Thrustmaster T16000M FCS is probably the best bang for buck joystick and throttle for DCS, they do a pack which also includes rudder pedals too.

He said he's taking his computer in for service. Asking for CPU cooler info and RAM speed is too much don't ya think? Altho motherboard brand and model would be good to include.

I'd say for $500, upgrading graphic card to RTX 2070 and get a small 250GB SSD (if you don't have SSD) would be best route. Or shell out a bit more and get 2080.

Or I believe next gen Nvidias are due in 3 months. Wait and get 2080.

Edited by Taz1004

I simply love this game.....

I have a stand alone computer only for DCS, nothing else. However my hard drive is almost completely full so I am going to get it upgraded. Since I’m taking the computer for service (no way I’m doing it). I’m going to get the BIOS updated and might as well make it work even better with my oculus rift S.

What would you upgrade to ? Keeping it around $500

My stuff

Windows 10, 64 bit

Intel ® Core i7-6700k cpu@ 4.00ghz (8cpus) ~4.0 ghz

direct x 12

Memory 32768mb ram

Page file 3907 mb used, 33690mb available

Nvidia GeForce gtx 1070

Total memory 24454 mb

Display memory 8088 mb

Thanks yo all who respond !

$500.00 doesn't give you a whole lot of headroom to work with, but I agree with the suggestions Taz made. Those two things will give you the most noticeable performance boost in VR, especially the GPU upgrade. Upgrading cooling, just so you can overclock, isn't the best bang for the buck, IMHO. You'd be spending money on something that doesn't help your storage/access time problems, and yields a pretty negligible performance increase compared to an SSD and GPU upgrade.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The 6700K @4.0Ghz, GTX1070, and 32GB of memory should be fine for DCS at 1080P. It won't run max settings, but it isn't that slow or under powered.

Assuming you don't have an SSD (solid state drive)...

Spend your money on a 512-1TB SSD. If you are paying someone to do the work, pay to have your OS drive imaged and moved to the SSD. This is a common upgrade, and you will see a huge improvement in system and DCS performance if you are currently on a 7200rpm spinning HDD.

Edited by SVgamer72

This is rig around 500$ and I think it is best buy option in that price range.

But if you can wait to the end of the year and you will got Intel 10th gen for better price than now 9th gen or Ryzen 4000 based chip and RTX 3000 or AMD RDNA 2 based GPU. All of this is releasing in Q3/Q4 this year and it is competition on all grounds we consumers waiting for a years.

It is finally comming.