Warthog profile

chris456

At the risk of sounding dismissive when it is not intended, it is generally a good idea to get in the habit of setting up your own controls in DCS. It can seem a bit daunting and a bit tedious at first but after you do it a couple of times, you will find the process pretty painless and a lot faster and more efficient than waiting for someone else to come up with something and perhaps upload it somewhere so you can download it.

As silly as it might sound, it is actually faster and easier to just set your own controls up.

Here are some bits of advice that might help.

1.) When possible, do all your bindings IN the sim and not via some outside program. There are some specific cases where certain users will want to use outside programs for more specialized, more advanced functionality but on average, DCS's internal controls config is quite good and will cover everything you need.

2.) You will notice on the top left of the controls setup screen that there are two pull-down menu's. One lets you select a aircraft and the other lets you select a control category. When you bind stuff, try to avoid using the "All" category and instead focus on more specialized categories like "HOTAS" or "Axis controls".

3.) DCS's default bindings for any given module are seldom very good. There are some obvious exceptions (like how it defaults the controls for the A-10C if (and only if) you own a Warthog HOTAS) but on average, it is better to clear out the default controls set for your HOTAS and (if applicable) rudder pedals and start from scratch. This may seem excessive but it will save you A LOT of time in the long run.

4.) Most aircraft use similar controls so it is quite possible to develop a certain "binding style" where you put certain types of controls on certain buttons/switches on your HOTAS. This makes not only binding easier but also learning new aircraft modules.

Hopefully this helps. I know this isn't exactly what you wanted but I think it will pay off for you in the long run to get in the habit of doing this kind of thing yourself. It is far, far faster and far, far more convenient to do it yourself rather than wait for someone else to do it and (maybe) upload their work.

statrekmike is right. It is a LOT easier to set up/map your own buttons and controls than it is to try to memorize someone else's setup. I tried using two profiles that were uploaded and quickly dumped them in favor of me setting them up, myself.

I had to convince a friend of mine the same thing because he wanted me to map his buttons for him.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

At the risk of sounding dismissive when it is not intended, it is generally a good idea to get in the habit of setting up your own controls in DCS. It can seem a bit daunting and a bit tedious at first but after you do it a couple of times, you will find the process pretty painless and a lot faster and more efficient than waiting for someone else to come up with something and perhaps upload it somewhere so you can download it.

As silly as it might sound, it is actually faster and easier to just set your own controls up.

Here are some bits of advice that might help.

1.) When possible, do all your bindings IN the sim and not via some outside program. There are some specific cases where certain users will want to use outside programs for more specialized, more advanced functionality but on average, DCS's internal controls config is quite good and will cover everything you need.

2.) You will notice on the top left of the controls setup screen that there are two pull-down menu's. One lets you select a aircraft and the other lets you select a control category. When you bind stuff, try to avoid using the "All" category and instead focus on more specialized categories like "HOTAS" or "Axis controls".

3.) DCS's default bindings for any given module are seldom very good. There are some obvious exceptions (like how it defaults the controls for the A-10C if (and only if) you own a Warthog HOTAS) but on average, it is better to clear out the default controls set for your HOTAS and (if applicable) rudder pedals and start from scratch. This may seem excessive but it will save you A LOT of time in the long run.

4.) Most aircraft use similar controls so it is quite possible to develop a certain "binding style" where you put certain types of controls on certain buttons/switches on your HOTAS. This makes not only binding easier but also learning new aircraft modules.

Hopefully this helps. I know this isn't exactly what you wanted but I think it will pay off for you in the long run to get in the habit of doing this kind of thing yourself. It is far, far faster and far, far more convenient to do it yourself rather than wait for someone else to do it and (maybe) upload their work.

I have to say the biggest challenge is finding enough axises for all of the controls though, that's my only problem so far

My personal philosophy on this that you should setup the HOTAS as close to the real plane and click on everything else. I'm using a cougar F16 throttle and a WH F18 stick for this bird and for the most part its enough, though I have to use "shift" commands on the hotas for like 3 functions.

The other philosophy I suppose is to map each plane the same. Which I guess has some advantages, but for me its immersion breaking.

Also I'm pretty sure that my WH throttle/sticks had stuff mapped to them already, but that might have been "default" settings.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

My personal philosophy on this that you should setup the HOTAS as close to the real plane and click on everything else. I'm using a cougar F16 throttle and a WH F18 stick for this bird and for the most part its enough, though I have to use "shift" commands on the hotas for like 3 functions.

The other philosophy I suppose is to map each plane the same. Which I guess has some advantages, but for me its immersion breaking.

Also I'm pretty sure that my WH throttle/sticks had stuff mapped to them already, but that might have been "default" settings.

Binding based on real-world HOTAS switch locations can work in some cases but in others, you end up with serious compromises due to the difference between one's HOTAS and the real plane's HOTAS.

I agree with Strat Mike - it's better to bind it yourself. The process takes about 30 minutes to an hour but it really helps you memorize where the controls are.

If it seems a bit daunting just do it in steps as you learn the plane. i.e. do the key axis commands first along with the weapons release / gun trigger. Then just go from there.

Binding based on real-world HOTAS switch locations can work in some cases but in others, you end up with serious compromises due to the difference between one's HOTAS and the real plane's HOTAS.

Between a cougar and warthog ive yet to run into that problem.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).