A/G Radar Worries and ED work overload.

Cintra

Hey all and hopefully an ED representative!

I am quite concerned at this point. I have been with DCS only for this year and its been a great learning experience to fly these wonderful jets but sadly I also started to learn about the production pace...

I believe there was a post in 2015 that spoke about the AG radar and I don't understand how DEKA Ironworks and HeatBlur managed to implement it in seemingly no time in comparison to ED.

Unless I am entirely incorrect and this is normal for all teams?

This is not intended as a bashing session against ED, far from it, but as a customer who has spent the money, I do feel concerned that I will be waiting another couple years considering that ED is now increasing its workload by adding the F16. (Which I also own and want an AG radar for without waiting 5 years. The time in which entire games get produced!)

In short, I do not understand ED's strategy and would like some clarification as to why they are seemingly overloading themselves with work and leaving an incredibly large and important function out of both jets.

Again, all is said in a fair tone, not to bash ED.

Good flying!

Cintra.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I do think that they might be releasing modules a little too early in the development phase, however they do also have the core game to work on, whereas third parties only have to work on their individual modules. That said, imo they've accomplished something pretty awesome over the last 10 years - back then, even having all these great modules online together was just a dream. Have to be patient, lots of things are being worked on:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

We might not always agree with ED's way of doing things, but I never got the impression that they are just slacking off lol.

from what I gather cruising these forums, it seems the profit strategy is frequently releasing new modules to generate profit with slow progress to finish the project or make core updates. I’m not sure if that’s totally true but that’s the impression I have from ready many commentaries on the subject.

Personally I think the strategy is flawed to a degree is it seems to create quite a bit of frustration, even from big fans. Releasing modules often that add to the experience even if not complete (Early Access) I have no issue with. Things like asset packs, maps, the carrier module (which if ED doesn’t release or pre order before Christmas they really are messing up), these all add something new but are the rarest and seemingly least frequent releases. But as I’ve commented elsewhere, it might be getting a little ridiculous that they keep releasing aircraft with Fighter and Attack roles, they’re all similar, different look and switches......drops basically the same bomb or fires a similar missile.

Don’t get me wrong ED and DCS World are amazing but the strategy has me scratching my head a bit and as a fan, I don’t want to get burnt out over incomplete products or core elements that are falling behind the pace of technology/graphics. Honestly I don’t know the answer for a fix, a lot of guys don’t seem to like the idea of subscription pay but the money does have to come from somewhere.....I honestly don’t know how they are making it work even at $80/module unless the community is way bigger than I realize.

Just my thoughts....

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

Whatever it is they are doing has been working for as long as i've been a fan of DCS, it is quite puzzling how its managed to be sustainable but i guess there is no competition for them at the moment so there is no pressure to develop any faster than the speed they have always gone.

Whatever works i guess...

nine-women-one-month.png

Hard to be completely content, but imo they've done a great job. We have so much stuff to play with from WW2 and cold war stuff to modern fighters, attack aircraft, aerobatics planes and helos. We have VR, the performance is pretty good now and the graphics are some of the best. Everything has been steadily improving... considering that research and implementation is a lot more difficult than rehashing an FPS shooter for the 15th time, I'm pretty happy with where my money has gone.

As for the cost - thank God we're not on subscription like iRacing. PMDG aircraft on civilian sims are ~$100, and does anyone remember the cost of VRS SuperBug for FSX back in the day (even without weapons in the beginning, plus no integrated environment where we can fly with other modules)? We're in a niche, so slow and steady is the best we can hope for really.

My understanding is that ED also undertakes commercial/military contracts which we do not see or hear about. So additional revenue, if true.

Perhaps, if they are between contracts we may see increased work on the flight sim side. If not though I'm sure the priority is on the contracted work as they are probably worth a few dollars more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

My understanding is that ED also undertakes commercial/military contracts which we do not see or hear about. So additional revenue, if true.

Perhaps, if they are between contracts we may see increased work on the flight sim side. If not though I'm sure the priority is on the contracted work as they are probably worth a few dollars more.

That makes a lot of sense.....

And guys don't get me wrong I'm very thankful that we have a sim as awesome as DCS, just want to see it get better....

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

There are now two half finished modules in EDs inventory that are less complete than the JF17...

Must be a reason why they don't use their own ground Radar API?

It's on the to-do list and they probably just haven't got to that bit yet. And i'm sure if you ask everyone on here to put the list of outstanding items in priority order then you'll get a fair spread of answers i.e. they've decided to do other things first.

As for putting new jets out before others have finished, i'd hazard a guess that it is a lot about cash flow. I'd rather suffer concurrent releases getting there eventually than the company going bump because they had to absolutely finish something 100% before it came to market or before they could start anything else.

We might not always agree with ED's way of doing things, but I never got the impression that they are just slacking off lol.

Yup... Exactly this...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I also don't believe for a second that ED is just taking their sweet time for no good reason. And as far as the AG radar goes, there's also the matter with it currently being very demanding on hardware (just take the JF-17, switch to GMTI or MAP, do some hard left/right maneuvering while the radar is scanning the ground and you'll see), so maybe they want to optimize the API before they implement it in the Hornet and the Viper.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• ED Team
I also don't believe for a second that ED is just taking their sweet time for no good reason. And as far as the AG radar goes, there's also the matter with it currently being very demanding on hardware (just take the JF-17, switch to GMTI or MAP, do some hard left/right maneuvering while the radar is scanning the ground and you'll see), so maybe they want to optimize the API before they implement it in the Hornet and the Viper.

I believe this is the case, and why its currently in the hands of the terrain team right now. If we are supposed to be slacking off, Wags forgot to forward that memo to me :D

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I believe this is the case, and why its currently in the hands of the terrain team right now. If we are supposed to be slacking off, Wags forgot to forward that memo to me :D

Thank you for joining the conversation NineLine. I dont imply that ED is slacking off, I can see Ed's commitment, I was saying more that I feel ED might be overloading itself with too many aircraft that will take too long to finish unless the studio size is increased.. which means more money is needed and do on which can be counter productive in a business sense.

But considering that the JF 17 is actually using ED tech, then I'm glad to see some progress and that you've told us that the tech is with the terrain team.

• ED Team

It's an interesting issue as far as growing the team, it's not so easy when in many cases not only do people have to be skilled in coding, but they also need to be pretty knowledgable in what they are working on, be it flight models, weapons systems, etc.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The ED staff includes all kind professions, and not at all everyone needs to know how to code or how to do 3D modeling and animations etc.

Everyone has their place in a team, and sometimes in development when a new feature needs to be implemented somewhere else so that project can advance, it means waiting and if possible and required, resources are allocated elsewhere for that moment from that project.

It doesn't mean everyone is on one project all together, or that you can just move people around in their projects.

ED is just doing all kind things simultaneously and some are major and some are minor. And when more tasks are waiting something else to be completed first, it cause line that can't be speeded up.

Software development is like a building a cardhouse, at here and there you need to get few cards swapped that are middle of the house, and sometimes you need to swap the very first cards you laid on the table.

It is slow, difficult process more you want to do a complex core technologies.

Especially if you could brake everyone's compatibility in that process...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Sorry, but what does API stand for in this context?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

This

Or in short: A programming interface through which someone (the 3rd party devs in this case) can access functions of someone elses (ED in this case) code.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Or radar, or whatever... ;)

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team

Hi Cinatra,

The strategy is simply based on priorities. The current Viper and Hornet priorities are the AA radar and TGP. AG radar is lower priority. We'll get to it though.

Thanks

Hey all and hopefully an ED representative!

I am quite concerned at this point. I have been with DCS only for this year and its been a great learning experience to fly these wonderful jets but sadly I also started to learn about the production pace...

I believe there was a post in 2015 that spoke about the AG radar and I don't understand how DEKA Ironworks and HeatBlur managed to implement it in seemingly no time in comparison to ED.

Unless I am entirely incorrect and this is normal for all teams?

This is not intended as a bashing session against ED, far from it, but as a customer who has spent the money, I do feel concerned that I will be waiting another couple years considering that ED is now increasing its workload by adding the F16. (Which I also own and want an AG radar for without waiting 5 years. The time in which entire games get produced!)

In short, I do not understand ED's strategy and would like some clarification as to why they are seemingly overloading themselves with work and leaving an incredibly large and important function out of both jets.

Again, all is said in a fair tone, not to bash ED.

Good flying!

Cintra.

• ED Team
Why is it low priority? A very large amount of players is waiting for it for a long time.

Hi,

Based on client feedback many, many more are looking forward to further AA radar and TGP development. Also, for aircraft like the Viper and Hornet, the AG radar has very limited utility these days. Most of the AG sensor work is done with the pod now.

Thanks