A Few Quick Takes

donkeyrider

Initial impressions after 10 minutes

* Superb jet. Fun to fly

* I love the big MFDs - similar to my Tesla Model S

* The moving map is actually usable

* Fuel will be an issue. It drinks like a fish.

So far so good. No show stoppers.

Looking to putting it through its paces over the weekend.

Congratulations to Deka!

Initial impressions after 10 minutes

* Superb jet. Fun to fly

* I love the big MFDs - similar to my Tesla Model S

* The moving map is actually usable

* Fuel will be an issue. It drinks like a fish.

So far so good. No show stoppers.

Looking to putting it through its paces over the weekend.

Congratulations to Deka!

remember to keep your hands at the steering wheel at all times. The autopilot feature is experimental XD

What are your impressions regarding instantaneous / sustained turn rate, comparing with F-16, MiG-29, etc ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Binding controls I can't seem to bind landing gear to anything other than keyboard. The lever is mouse clickable so not a massive issue but still seems a bit odd?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

What about the flight model ? Sound ? Cockpit textures ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

"at the beginning, we focused on all real operations,

LG operation doesn't belong to hotas

as we stated, we will add more bindings"

Thanks

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

textures dont seem to be deka's strong suit, while the graphical detail is there, actual material and lighting behavior leaves much to be desired.

some things seem untextured (gsh interior mechanism, intake duct interior), cockpit interior doesnt really take shadows well (local values too strong -- blacks too dark, grays too light). some lighting occlusion doesnt seem quite right (ex. console sunshade doesnt seem to shade emergency brake).

hopefully sales and experience can see improvements made to visual quality but right now JF-17 texturing isn't quite up to ED standard.

Its not it strong suit, agreed, but I would not go as far and say its not up to the standard. There are better textured planes out there, but its not bad as in a major flaw of the module.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Its not it strong suit, agreed, but I would not go as far and say its not up to the standard. There are better textured planes out there, but its not bad as in a major flaw of the module.

Way better than the other way around with "another" dev, you know, great graphics and crappy systems modeling.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Has anyone already tried BFM against other types yet MiG, Mirage, F-16 ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

How is the flight model ??

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I just did some free flight with some high g maneouvers. With full fuel and 2 aim 9s it turns a loootttt. I mean i need to measure but once you kick AB at 350-400knots you dont blade any speed at all, i managed 400 with full stick deflection, so the sustained is really great. On feeling alone i would say its over the f16 and f18.

It feels really nimble on roll and it can sustained almost 9g or close to it.

I will try tomorrow with more calm to see if the early impression are too exagerated but definetely its going to be no slouch in a dogfight and able to compete with anything.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

I just did some free flight with some high g maneouvers. With full fuel and 2 aim 9s it turns a loootttt. I mean i need to measure but once you kick AB at 350-400knots you dont blade any speed at all, i managed 400 with full stick deflection, so the sustained is really great. On feeling alone i would say its over the f16 and f18.

It feels really nimble on roll and it can sustained almost 9g or close to it.

I will try tomorrow with more calm to see if the early impression are too exagerated but definetely its going to be no slouch in a dogfight and able to compete with anything.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Thank you falcon_120, just the kind of detail I wanted to know.

I wouldn't tell it, as in terms of aerodynamics / airframe design, its shape isn't so clean and sleek like the F-16's one.

(But then neither is the MiG-29 one's, and it is that machine.)

I'm beginning to look at this jet with other eyes...

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

What are your impressions regarding instantaneous / sustained turn rate, comparing with F-16, MiG-29, etc ?

Zero time on the MiG-29 and only a few hours on the F-16. It seems very snappy, F-16 like. Mind you this was with a clean jet. Certainly has the potential to hold its own.

I'm looking forward to Growling Sidewinder's 1v1 videos in due course.

textures dont seem to be deka's strong suit, while the graphical detail is there, actual material and lighting behavior leaves much to be desired.

some things seem untextured (gsh interior mechanism, intake duct interior), cockpit interior doesnt really take shadows well (local values too strong -- blacks too dark, grays too light). some lighting occlusion doesnt seem quite right (ex. console sunshade doesnt seem to shade emergency brake).

hopefully sales and experience can see improvements made to visual quality but right now JF-17 texturing isn't quite up to ED standard.

Definitely the textures are about a generation behind what we are use to. It's not a deal breaker for me. I saw an explanation somewhere that the artist was sick so upgraded textures will be coming later. If this is important to you, then perhaps best to wait and see what how it turns out.

The only thing I'm trying to rationalize is whether I buy the JF-17 today or at a later date.

I'm looking for a genuine answer to my question so I can determine that.

It's fun to fly and seems to be in a better state of completion than than the Viper / Hornet so I do think it's worth buying now and saving $10. Of course you can wait for a sale and pick it up later on.

Having different weapons to learn to use will also be interesting.

Most of my DCS is spent flying the Hornet. I bought the Viper but have hardly flown it. The JF17, I feel more excited about and I'm sure I'll spend more time in it.

I just bought it. I want to give these guys a chance. They didn't have the fluff of other 3rd parties here, and I feel like they did alot of work for a decent product. Let's hope they come through and make this a better module. Like most said, it's already more feature packed than F18 and F16. lol

Yup just started flying it. My 10 minute impression of just flying around and mapping controls. It looks pretty good on a CV1 rift, i.e. cockpit is clear. FM seems "ok" im not sure if its a FBW jet but the FM seems that way. No shudder or bad things happening when hauling the stick back. Roll rate seems higher than the viper. Acceleration doesnt seem as good.

Editeded to add that it is FBW, so i guess it feels like the other FBW jets with a few minor differences.

Havent tried anything more than tha yet.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

...The C-101 is the weakest link in interior and exterior IMO.

I don’t share that opinion, to my eyes the C101 looks better than the F-5, better than the A-10C, better than the F-86 and at least equal to the L-39. The JF-17 doesnt look as good as the C-101, but the difference isnt that great and I’m sure that the developer will improve it, like Aviodev did when they re-did their cockpit a couple of years back.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Just got it too. very nimble when clean. be careful with your gun. you'll run out quick. it is bursts like the mig-21

I just loaded up some a/g and aa, trying to figure out how to drop bombs. the flickering TGP and A/G radar is very annoying. I hope they fix it soon. even if you aren't using it, it draws your attention like epilepsy. just put that mfcd to something else.

gotta figure out how to drop bombs and shoot missiles at planes. lol

I think the flickering TGP or A/G radar is good. Stabilization of TGP's in general is a difficult engineering task to being with and its probably nerfed in other modules.

A/A isn't too hard to figure out.

A/G... I haven't managed to kill anything yet.

FM seems "ok" im not sure if its a FBW jet but the FM seems that way. No shudder or bad things happening when hauling the stick back. Roll rate seems higher than the viper. Acceleration doesnt seem as good.

Editeded to add that it is FBW, so i guess it feels like the other FBW jets with a few minor differences.

Havent tried anything more than tha yet.

Nothing bad should happen within 27 deg AOA limit as this jet has a no-kidding level 1 control quality rating.

If you want to try out-of-the-envelope handling, please turn EFCS on, which will disable your G/AOA limits.

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.