Sound modding

c0ff

Ok, So If i rename the Files, what command do i need to get the module to use that sound in place of the Default Sound.

I'll check into this more tonite if I Have time. Im pretty sure teh A-10 files might answer some questions, as the A-10C does not have the same sounds as the other planes in DCSW.

also is that VFS call even correct? *(i was just kinda guessing at that)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Yeah the VFS call is right. And regarding pointing your custom aircraft to new custom sounds, not even we know how to do that yet. I'm sure the capability is there, but we haven't heard anything regarding it yet. We have it working with custom cockpit systems sfx, so externals should be similar.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

k, I'll respectfully dig through A-10C files and see if I notice any patterns.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Ok, So If i rename the Files, what command do i need to get the module to use that sound in place of the Default Sound.

I'll check into this more tonite if I Have time. Im pretty sure teh A-10 files might answer some questions, as the A-10C does not have the same sounds as the other planes in DCSW.

also is that VFS call even correct? *(i was just kinda guessing at that)

This question has been raised before in this thread and there is no solution as of yet. Post #15

As for vfs call it should be

mount_vfs_sound_path (current_mod_path.."/Sounds") - this is works to make dcsw use your sounds with the name of default ones, but in my case only with 1 module. i tried it for my helicopters mods to use different rotor and cannon sounds, but for some reason game only uses sounds from 1 module and ignores other ones, so as of right now i use sounds in Saved Games/DCS/Sounds - works perfect with rotor sounds but i still need to change canon sounds manually

\DCS World\Scripts\Database]db_mods.lua - this file contains very usefull info about mod structure, calls and functions

i tried it for my helicopters mods to use different rotor and cannon sounds, but for some reason game only uses sounds from 1 module and ignores other ones

DCS will use whichever sounds are loaded last. For example. Modules loaded in order A, B and C, all have custom sounds with identical names, but since C was the last one loaded by DCS it uses those sounds.

DCS will use whichever sounds are loaded last. For example. Modules loaded in order A, B and C, all have custom sounds with identical names, but since C was the last one loaded by DCS it uses those sounds.

Blaze thanks, it would explain it with identical names, but rotor sounds are not identical )) rotorAH64, RotorMI24 etc, it still uses rotor sound from last module loaded

Im gonna Call it a night, gotta be up early..

I tried:

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/

Added the VFS Mount to Entry

put sdefs in

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/sdefs/Aircrafts/Engines/

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/sdefs/Aircrafts/VRCF100D/

Put WAVs in

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/Effects/Aircrafts/VRCF100D/

Still plays default sounds instad of wavs.

I made sure wav files matched bit-rate and frequency.

It loads SDEFs, as I can Change the Inherit Lines, and it shows in the logs that it cannot find file in the fake folder name i added to the inherit line.

Also Shows:

"00010.455 INFO SOUND: loaded 7 sdefs from ".\mods\aircrafts\vrcf100d\sounds\"

in the DCS.log file which is correct.

Tried copy/pasting the WAVs in their individual folder (not to overwrite the defaults) and it still wouldnt load them.

i get: "00067.091 ERROR SOUND: source_del(39): invalid source"

towards the bottom of the DCS.log, with the WAVS in either location.

So either im putting the wrong string for the location of the actual sound file... or im missing something.

Like I'm Missing a Master LUA File for Event=SoundSDEF List or something.

Guess I wait for ED to come back from Vacation...

Edited by SkateZilla

Im gonna Call it a night, gotta be up early..

I tried:

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/

Added the VFS Mount to Entry

put sdefs in

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/sdefs/Aircrafts/Engines/

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/sdefs/Aircrafts/VRCF100D/

Put WAVs in

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/

/mods/aircrafts/VRCF100D/Sounds/Effects/Aircrafts/VRCF100D/

WAVs are right, sdefs are wrong. Instead of an sdef folder, delete that and just pretend "Sounds" is your sdef folder and structure them that way. It's in that mod I linked as an example a few posts back. For sdef files in the Mods folder, it doesn't look for an sdef folder, it just goes Sounds\ then the relevant files and sub-directories. For WAVs, it will be like the default structure: Sounds\Effects and so-on.

K, I will look at that tomorrow, and try to find a way to make it so it's using custom sounds and not over-writing default sounds.

Somewhere the A-10C uses calls for non common files (for the GE engine, the Canopy open/close, APU etc.), but i cant find out where/how they are deon, if i knew how and where they were, i can setup the F-100D to use custom SDEFs for Canopy, Stall, J57, etc.

I tried searching for the GE SDEF Name in all the DCS LUA, and CFG Files. Maybe it's part of the AFM. But the F-15C has it's own Engine sounds too.

As Blaze mentioned, we don't know how to change external sounds yet, but we have figured out the internals. Unfortunately, the calls to the sdef files that you looking for are hidden in their cockpit dlls, so if you would like to know how to create sound sources and play the sounds, you will have to get an answer from ED.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm just starting with modding the sdef files, etc. I found this thread while searching for information on modding sounds in DCS World. After reading through the thread, someone mentioned an sdef help file; where can I find this?

Liquid Cooled i9 11900K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | HP Reverb G2

TM F/A-18 Stick | Virpil WarBRD | WinWIng F/A-18 HOTAS

In the sdef folder, its the file at the top of the list with no name.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hey diveplane, I love your Huey sounds mod; I am currently using it. I'm working on the startup sound for the Huey but I was wondering if you were working on one for startup?

Liquid Cooled i9 11900K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hey diveplane, I love your Huey sounds mod; I am currently using it. I'm working on the startup sound for the Huey but I was wondering if you were working on one for startup?

the startup audios seamed authentic to me, no not doing anymore right now for the huey.

the startup audios seamed authentic to me, no not doing anymore right now for the huey.

They did to me too until I watched a bunch of youtube videos of Hueys starting up. BTW, is there a way to make DCS play a .wav file once and not repeat it? I tried taking a wav file that included startup to idle sound; I copied it over the StartUp.wav but it repeats the wav over and over after startup and again at shut down.

hope this helps

-- PLAYMODE:

trigger = false

-- set to true if the sound should always play the whole sample (explosions, gunshots etc.)

streaming = false

-- if set to true, the samples will be streamed from the disk

-- false (the default) value means the samples are kept in the memory (uncompressed!)

-- implies trigger=false

listmode = RANDOM

-- play one random sample from the playlist

-- other values:

-- SEQUENCE - sequantially play all samples from the playlist

-- ASR - (Attack, SustainRelease) - plays the first sample on start only, loops everything else

• Like 1

hope this helps

-- PLAYMODE:

trigger = false

-- set to true if the sound should always play the whole sample (explosions, gunshots etc.)

streaming = false

-- if set to true, the samples will be streamed from the disk

-- false (the default) value means the samples are kept in the memory (uncompressed!)

-- implies trigger=false

listmode = RANDOM

-- play one random sample from the playlist

-- other values:

-- SEQUENCE - sequantially play all samples from the playlist

-- ASR - (Attack, SustainRelease) - plays the first sample on start only, loops everything else

Thanks diveplane, I finally made it home and got a hold of the help file.

-- PLAYMODE:

trigger = false

-- set to true if the sound should always play the whole sample (explosions, gunshots etc.) That's exactly what I needed it to do...

• 1 month later...

At the moment no, unfortunately.

• 2 months later...