BVRREADY missile enhancement mod V0.1

Hi to y'all!

Since the vanilla missilies in DCS seem to have a lack in performance (especially in range), i did a little mod to 'correct' these problems.

For the first version of the mod i will only include the NATO weapons AIM-7M, AIM-120B/C and AIM-9M. Other missiles (air-to-air, air-to-ground, SAMS and SEAD) will follow (air-to-air shortly).

I want to clarify, that all datas used were given by several sources and show slight variations. Figures given below and used in the mod may therefore be inaccurate and not completely realistic!

The missile range depends heavily on firing parameters and aircraft radar, and these numbers are only rough estimates for maximum effective range in head-on engagements.

To be very clear - even if DCS World is one of the most realistic flight simulations out there - we will never have 100% realistic flight and weapon behaviour. The aim of this mod is a better experieence for players. In my opinion BVR engagements never really happened in DCS because of the lower missile ranges eagle dynamics implemented.

Nethertheless we are talking about approximately 40-60% increase in range for these air-to-air missiles. Modded missiles were testet with F/A 18C and F-15C (both client and ai) and worked fine for me (single- and multiplayer).

Please note, that this will significantly change the meta-game in PVE and PVP environments especially in fights in higher altitudes. Longer attack ranges and slightly longer flight times also mean more time for the radar to track counter measures but a bit lesser chance to see the missiles contrails (obviously).

This mod also might affect the balancing implemented by eagle dynamics.

For now i did NOT change any flight characteristics other than 'max range', 'missile acceleration', 'rocket motor burning time', 'rocket motor thrust' and 'max mach'.

All range data below refer to the following factors while shooting the missile: plane h: 10.000 meters V: 900 km/h - the missiles flight characteristics vary greatly under other circumstances - the lower and slower your plane is flying, the lesser range you get.

First tests showed that sensors and AI behavior work perfectly with these changes. Pleas note, that the AI in DCS will not fire at all targets at max range by default. But you can change these settings in the editor under 'advanced waypoints' (for testing and scenarios).

[TABLE]weapon | vanilla range | modded range | vanilla max mach c.a. | modded max mach c.a.

AIM-7M | 50km | 70km | 3.2 | 4.0

AIM-9M | 11km | 18km | 2.7 | 2.7

AIM-120B | 41km | 70km | 4.0 | 4.0

AIM-120C | 63km | 100km | 4.0 | 4.0

[/TABLE]I'm very greatfull for any kind of feedback.

If you have any credible data about russian missiles characteristics - please send me a link.

Mod should be JSGME ready.

Download

Sorry for the bad english translation and many thanks to ED for making this awesome sim!

Best regards and have fun! :pilotfly:

Iceman

Screen_180711_201321.thumb.png.1137763589c3e1828cdb811f69272f98.png

Edited by Iceman991

Thanks!! Have always felt the US equipment and AI have been nerfed in DCS. It's not hard to understand why there would be a touch of Russian bias.

You only need to put an "excellent" F/A-18 AI against an "average" MIG-21 AI and watch the MIG win EVERY dogfight.

Thanks!! Have always felt the US equipment and AI have been nerfed in DCS. It's not hard to understand why there would be a touch of Russian bias.

You only need to put an "excellent" F/A-18 AI against an "average" MIG-21 AI and watch the MIG win EVERY dogfight.

Russian missiles will get an upgrade/downgrade too. I didn't have the time yet to look at the russian missile datas in detail. But yes - still after these changes the sparrow will outrange the missiles of the mig-21 greatly.

But you will notice the biggest changes on the aim-120s - especially on the aim-120c5 on a fast moving, high altitude flying missile carrier - due to the range changes the missile does a even greater loft maneuver which leads to head on ranges of about 100-120km. In exceptional cases even ranges of up to 150-180km can be reached.

Ranges of the aim-120c and aim-120d are not limited by the missile itself but often by the radar of the carrier who shots the missile. I will have to do a lot of testing on this still.

Edited by Iceman991

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iceman, while I don't intend to discourage you this might save you some effort- an intensive user rework of all air-to-air missiles using real world data has already been created by IASGATG.

You can find the thread HERE and a post with the most current version HERE

Edited by feefifofum

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Your doing very good work here Iceman. As "feefifofum," pointed out though, you can use the data from "IASGATG," to improve the American Missiles AND add to the Russian missiles that you need data for. Also as of October 18, the current mod has stopped working just after a DCS update. Just letting you know! Please keep working on this! It is making the Sim a thousand times more fun!