Magic MAV search patterns

Zeus67

I'm not yet much versed in all of the Magic modes of employment, although I've read the manual, the Chuck's manual also, and this topic.

I just have to play it some more hours.

The 'perception' I've had so far, regarding the several modes of employment:

Seekerhead modes ; toggle with "Magic unlock":

- caged seeker (ADL cross only)

- narrow search (square corners in the HUD)

Radar modes ; toogle with some throttle grip switch:

- vertical search

- boresight search (circle around ADL cross)

- horizontal search

MAV modes ; select MAV on PCA:

- (several search patern geometries I've not studied yet)

... and I fully understand I might be mixing up several stuff here.

Page 1, by Zeus67 who coded it :smilewink:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4256264&postcount=8

- MAG = Vertical or narrow

- MAV = Horizontal or narrow

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

• 3 weeks later...

@Zeus: Seems that going from either CNM Canon or CNM Magic to CNM neutral trigger a Magic seeker unlock/reset. So for example, we having AA Gun selected and having a Magic lock with MAV Search, if you want to select CNM Magic to shoot at the locked target from CNM Canon with 3 position switch (like in the real Aircraft), Magic lock would drop while passing by CNM neutral.

So Select CNM Canon, activate MAV search, get a lock

Select CNM Neutral on the way to CNM Magic (3 position switch), then lock is lost and MAV is reset to MAG on PCA

Discussed here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=270228

Is it how it works in the real aircraft, or should lock remain active while passing through CNM neutral (and then would need to be corrected in the game)?

@Zeus: Seems that going from either CNM Canon or CNM Magic to CNM neutral trigger a Magic seeker unlock/reset. So for example, we having AA Gun selected and having a Magic lock with MAV Search, if you want to select CNM Magic to shoot at the locked target from CNM Canon with 3 position switch (like in the real Aircraft), Magic lock would drop while passing by CNM neutral.

So Select CNM Canon, activate MAV search, get a lock

Select CNM Neutral on the way to CNM Magic (3 position switch), then lock is lost and MAV is reset to MAG on PCA

Discussed here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=270228

Is it how it works in the real aircraft, or should lock remain active while passing through CNM neutral (and then would need to be corrected in the game)?

Hi Steph

Noticed it also.

It’s a change from last Thursday’s OB update. Before that, switching CNM did not trigger a MAV deselect.

Edited by noxyd

Aorus Z690i, 13600K @5.5ghz, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3600 C16, SSD WD SN850 black, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBRD + MongoosT50 CM2 grip

Yes and i'm unable to disable the magic search when anything is selected in CNM neutral.

Maybe there is a new command i'm missing to disable it ?

Click on MAV on PCA. IIRC it will then show MAG on PCA and it will be deselected.

MAG is selected automatically with CNM Magic

MAV has to be selected manually whith CNM Neutral or CNM Canon

If Narrow search mode is selected while in MAV/MAG it should remain selected when switching to MAG/MAV.

That's how i understood it at least ;)

Click on MAV on PCA. IIRC it will then show MAG on PCA and it will be deselected.

MAG is selected automatically with CNM Magic

MAV has to be selected manually whith CNM Neutral or CNM Canon

If Narrow search mode is selected while in MAV/MAG it should remain selected when switching to MAG/MAV.

That's how i understood it at least ;)

Hum thanks for the info, but I think I tried what you are saying yesterday and I didn't manage to disable the magic seeker until I deselected my CNM neutral weapon.

But maybe it's my fault, I will test it again later :).

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Hum thanks for the info, but I think I tried what you are saying yesterday and I didn't manage to disable the magic seeker until I deselected my CNM neutral weapon.

But maybe it's my fault, I will test it again later :).

Just tested it, in fact MAG is automatically selected for CNM Magic an CNM Canon. MAV can only be selected in CNM Neutral.

While in CNM Neutral with 530 selected on PCA, MAV could be deselected by pressing MAV on PCA, when in horizontal search or narrow search

Just tested it, in fact MAG is automatically selected for CNM Magic an CNM Canon. MAV can only be selected in CNM Neutral.

While in CNM Neutral with 530 selected on PCA, MAV could be deselected by pressing MAV on PCA, when in horizontal search or narrow search

Ok thanks for the info, that makes a bit more sense :).

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 1 year later...

Hello again everyone,

Reading both the DCS Manual and Chuck's Guide, regarding the last iterations of the Magic Missile search pattern, I do have some doubts :

- can't understand the difference between: " Vertical Narrow " and " Horizontal Narrow "

They both state: " A 7° box shaped search sector centered on the gun cross position. "

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

5 minutes ago, myHelljumper said:

There is no difference.

The vertical/horizontal is just a reference to the fact that MAV is selected or not.

Thank you!

I'll look further into it in game.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB