Looking for help on improving my landings - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
lwalter

Default Looking for help on improving my landings

After watching several tutorial videos and practicing probably a good hundred times... I finally manage to land the Huey without breaking it.

I was almost going to give up, until I realised I had to forget anything I learnt from landing a jet and until I realised that for me, no curve at all was much easier to handle.

However, all is not great with my landings yet:
1) landing on runways or landing zones within a 20-30 meters radius is OK, but landing on building roofs or even large ship decks (like Tarawa) is still quite challenging (only 1 success out of 4)
2) Towards the end of the landing, I'm not really landing from a hover but with a very shallow descent and it usually ends with a few meters slide
3) If I'm slowing down too close to 0 kts, I'm unable to control the the Huey and it usually ends bad. I guess this is about being able to hover. When taking off, I'm not doing great at hovering but it's OK, nowhere near as bad.

What are your suggestions to overcome these remaining issues?
DCS World 2.5 | Bf109K4 | Fw190 A8 & D9 | P51D | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15bis | MiG19P | MiG21bis | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5E2 | F14 | F16C | F/A18C | M2000C | JF17 | Christen Eagle II | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8MTV2 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | NTTR | WWII Assets
lwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
Holton181

Maybe not the answer you hope for, but practice, practice and more practice is the way to go. You already found out some really important insights yourself, it's not even close to flying a fixed wing and curves is no good.
You seem to be doing good so far, just keep at it.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
randomTOTEN

Hover practice.
randomTOTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:57 PM   #4
Svsmokey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomTOTEN View Post
Hover practice.
Yep , essential for spot landings .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:50 AM   #5
Havremonster

For me it was much more easy control the Huey after I got a better GPU. Some more frames did it for me
Havremonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
lwalter

Thanks for all your answers!
It looks like I should now practice (intensively) hovering.
Should I rather practice hovering close to the ground (looks like the one I need for landing) or even at higher altitude? The latter seems "impossible" to me at this stage...
In the manual I read that you had to move the cyclic 2 to 3 times a second continuously to keep the hover. Is that really the case? If yes, how can you find the right "rhythm"?
DCS World 2.5 | Bf109K4 | Fw190 A8 & D9 | P51D | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15bis | MiG19P | MiG21bis | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5E2 | F14 | F16C | F/A18C | M2000C | JF17 | Christen Eagle II | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8MTV2 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | NTTR | WWII Assets
Old 01-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
Quadg

when you get good at balancing the huey the control inputs are more like nudges than full inputs.
the early mistake is to overcorrect and enter PIO (pilot induced oscillation) where you are chasing your own tail trying to balance your own inputs, rather than balancing the huey.
this is when you can hit a target the size of a football pitch
you need to make constant corrections. but only necessary corrections.
you figure out which is which by practising
removing the return spring from my warthog really helped me make nudges instead of PIO..

two concepts to get straight in your head are ground effect and translational lift.
both of these things provide lift and remove lift as you transition through a take off and work opposite in a landing. and they only effect helicopters not planes.
the bit you describe where you drop at the end is transitioning from translational lift.
as you enter a hover your rotor starts recycling air instead of cutting clean air in front of the moving huey.
so you lose lift and drop as its less efficient
the drop announces itself with the beating noise from the rotor at about 20mph.
you get the beat accelerating and slowing down as you cross 20mph.

when landing you should start lifting the collective when the airspeed reads 40mph. because if you wait for the beating sound and 20mph you are doing it late.
you will get rotor droop lifting the collective to quickly.
start lifting the collective at 40 mph slowly. and when you hear the beating noise concentrate on the collective and the vertical velocity meter to maintain your decent. (don't drop) and come to a stop.
pretty soon you will be able to smoothly pull the collective and come to a stop without falling out the sky. in ground effect or out of ground effect. (IGE or OGE)

you need to move the collective further and start earlier to come to a stop out of ground effect.
(a high hover in your example above)
a low hover gets free lift from ground effect. (under 50ft or the rotor diameter)
so when landing its a good idea to enter ground effect before slowing down below 40mph and losing translational lift. they balance each other some, and you need to move the collective the least.
so its easier to learn.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
lwalter

Thanks for the detailed advice Quadg!
I'm a bit afraid to remove the spring of my Warthog stick... but I have an extension, so it's not too hard to move around.
Looking at your other pieces of advice, I'm able now to land on a runway, a carrier like the Stennis or the Tarawa, and even some (large) building roofs. However, the back helipad of a Ticonderoga class.... still impossible for me. How would leverage the ground effect for such case? wouldn't it be below the deck?
Old 01-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
RePhil

need to work on getting into a hover above ground effect that will help. The DD or Cruiser should be steaming so its easier to land on you approach from astern match the speed then inch forward reducing you height till you set down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXc...ature=emb_logo

Last edited by RePhil; 01-03-2020 at 07:29 PM.
RePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Foul Ole Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalter View Post
Thanks for all your answers!
It looks like I should now practice (intensively) hovering.
Should I rather practice hovering close to the ground (looks like the one I need for landing) or even at higher altitude? The latter seems "impossible" to me at this stage...
In the manual I read that you had to move the cyclic 2 to 3 times a second continuously to keep the hover. Is that really the case? If yes, how can you find the right "rhythm"?
https://youtu.be/-URVYxyIww4

I found this hover tutorial from Furia really helpful when the Huey was released originally. If I remember right he's a heli coast guard pilot in Spain so knows what he's talking about. If you practice what he demonstrates in the video you'll be good at the fine adjustment controls needed around landing.
Foul Ole Ron is offline   Reply With Quote