ALR-67(v) Update

Zeus67

So just to get a clear understanding:

The inner circle is containing critical threats, which are actively attacking (missile launch)

The middle circle is containing threats, which are not attacking but are searching with their radar

The outer circle contains non threats

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

So just to get a clear understanding:

The inner circle is containing critical threats, which are actively attacking (missile launch)

The middle circle is containing threats, which are not attacking but are searching with their radar

The outer circle contains non threats

Yes.

The inner circle contains all threats that are either actively targeting the aircraft (radar lock or missile launch) or whose signal strength is such that they cannot fail to detect you.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Also im seeing short solid stems dashed but slightly longer stems and very long solid stems with either a carrot or not. Also the lock warning sound seems to stay on after the threat is off the RWR sometimes and the only way to get it to stop is to cycle the RWR off and back on.

Yes.

The inner circle contains all threats that are either actively targeting the aircraft (radar lock or missile launch) or whose signal strength is such that they cannot fail to detect you.

This information should be updated then, in the video that was released 1 day ago it is still wrong.

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

Ok so then the diagram in the first post is wrong? This is getting very confused.

Yes, because the diagram was built with outdated info.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

This information should be updated then, in the video that was released 1 day ago it is still wrong.

I know, but it is hard to redo a video.

As far as lethality rings... I hit up Jello from the fighter pilot podcast when the hornet was going through the same questions, he stated that it changed several times during his time in the F18. That is why there was confusion with the hornet and I assume why there is the back and forth on the harrier as well.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

• 4 months later...
I am not so sure that you can't extrapolate from the F/A-18C version... If we think logical, why for the love of god would you switch the meaning of symbology between different versions of the same device?

It would be like having traffic lights that depending on build and type use red for "stop" and green for "drive", where in older version it is green for "stop" and yellow for "drive", red is not explained and can mean anything?!

I am sure we can safely assume, the general logic between the RWR on the Hornet and AV-8B is similar. So if we have a detailed description from the Hornet manuals, I would rather assume it is the same than guessing around from pictures and videos...

Keep in mind the pilots life depends on split second reaction to some of these threat indications, so they likely are consistent and logical. You would not want to be the engineer explaining the loss of an aircraft and crew is related to you tweaking around with a well established symbology just because you could. ;)

shagrat, I've been thinking about the ALR-67A(V) again recently and your specific question. I wonder if the changes were made, simply due to a change in the primary threat display type. Initially, the primary display for the ALR-67A(V), was the IP-1276/ALR-67 azimuth indicator and at around 3 inches or so in diameter, the display is rather small. Having critical threats (the most important) within the innermost ring, particularly in a high threat, multi-emitter environment, could make the indicator difficult to read, as well as making it more difficult for the crew to determine the azimuth position of the threats, thus the critical ring was placed furthest from the centre.

Later on, aircraft such as the AV-8B introduced the MFDs/MPCDs as the primary RWR display. The vastly increased display area over the IP-1276, afforded threat symbols the benefit of much more room and radial separation, mitigating a lot of the overlap that may have occurred with the older display. Because of this, the software engineers probably decided to go back to a common sense approach, of having the critical ring threats closest to the inside and the non-lethal threats on the outermost ring.

Edited by Blaze1