[REPORTED]VR Performance OB 2.5.6

Gripen 4-1

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I know DCS and low FPS in VR is the samllest Problem the world has at the Moment because of covid19.

But c'mon more than one month since the release of 2.5.6 and the FPS are still catastrophic low…..

As someone said: ED can implement new things as much as they like, but the whole 2.5.6 is unplayable!

PLEASE FIX THE VR FPS ISSUE FIRST, then make other updates! The Thing is unplayable!

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

I totally agree with Gripen! at least give us an update on when the VR FPS drop might be solved. In the mean time I have rolled back. Will look at updating my computer which isn't too shabby now (i7-7700k, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32gb ram). I will need to wait until the world is somewhat back to normal before I can upgrade.

• ED Team

Hi all

the team are working on FPS issues, this patch had memory leak fixes which helped some.

As we progress with 2.5.6 hopefully you will see performance increase, but please remember we had a massive lighting change with 2.5.6 so you may need to tweak your settings.

I will be highlighting the VR FPS issues to the team again on Monday in my weekly report to the team.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

the team are working on FPS issues, this patch had memory leak fixes which helped some.

As we progress with 2.5.6 hopefully you will see performance increase, but please remember we had a massive lighting change with 2.5.6 so you may need to tweak your settings.

I will be highlighting the VR FPS issues to the team again on Monday in my weekly report to the team.

thanks

Yes please. I think the problem is not PC specs, majority of VR pilots have high-end machines, or at least, decent ones. Thank you and keep up the good work.

Most important of all, keep safe please.

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Hi all

thanks

Thanks @bignewy. if the lighting change means this much perf drop, the i would rather we didn't have the lighting change, a switch to turn it off would be also welcome, because TBH whilst being able to see water reflections is nice and the shallows on the beach, it does not damage my immersion as much as not being able to fly in combat... I know you guys are super passionate about getting the right balance here and i know you will work towards the right goal for you as a company.

I hope everyone is well and remains that way

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I know I know DCS and low FPS in VR is the samllest Problem the world has at the Moment because of covid19.

But c'mon more than one month since the release of 2.5.6 and the FPS are still catastrophic low…..

As someone said: ED can implement new things as much as they like, but the whole 2.5.6 is unplayable!

PLEASE FIX THE VR FPS ISSUE FIRST, then make other updates! The Thing is unplayable!

I agree.

Fix the performance issues first, please!

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Honestly ED can complete every module, add every feature in the book at this point. It won't matter becuase it will CONTINUE to go unplayed. The patch release notes are one big:

"Look at this fix/feature we added that you cannot use!"

I'm seriousy gonna flip my lid when the Super Carrier I instantly preordered gets released and I can't fly it.

Literally. The main core of DCS Openbeta is broke. When will we make progress? Another month? 2? 3?

We can dress a pig 3 ways to sunday and it is still going to be a pig.

The sim is broke. Its been broke. Tomorrow it will be broke. The next day and the following. It needs a major overhaul. It needs that major overhual now.

Out.

Edited by Fang333333

I wonder if Vulkan will help?

Quite possibly, if we're being CPU draw call limited. But it's going to be an age and a half until they rewrite the engine, so focus has to be made to improve the current engine before we start looking at vulkan to be our lord and savior.

What I'm seeing in heavily populated multiplayer servers, when I'm getting abysmal framerates (we're talking 10-20 fps on a 2080ti) is that the CPU isn't doing much (loaded to about 40%) and the GPU is doing about the same (40-50% load). It's really confusing, one or the other should be going nuts and neither seems to be.

What I'm seeing in heavily populated multiplayer servers, when I'm getting abysmal framerates (we're talking 10-20 fps on a 2080ti) is that the CPU isn't doing much (loaded to about 40%) and the GPU is doing about the same (40-50% load). It's really confusing, one or the other should be going nuts and neither seems to be.

Could it be the server software?

Hi all

thanks

I doubt lighting as a cause of performance.

A lot of people post many tests even with different settings, many of them, a common point is unusual cpu usage. With mostly high end computers here in VR. Whats the point in implementing carrier ops? to have single digit stuttering experience? to quit from VR passing to 2D? there is no CPU/GPU on this planet that could move this, with any low or high graphics settings.

In the past I see some significant changes like DCS 1.5 version, more than now from 2.5.5 to 2.5.6. Let me remember to you:

1-. With new edge engine implementation, year 2015 october --> nice performance gains, from 1.0 to 1.5, earth curvature, draw distance of terrain hugely incresad,... excellent work on 2015. Brilliant, the move to 1.5 edge engine. VERY GOOD WORK.

2-. DCS 2.0 Nevada, or the inital 2.5 version from 2018 with the new caucasus terrain, was great also: less fps, but understandable due the new terrain, deferred shading, many higher number of objects, new trees, etc...and with performance fixes from DEVs in beta in 15 or 20 days only, hotfixes,... not in 3 months like now. In addition, with many less stuttering due change in terrain version, in comparison with 1.5 or 1.0. Different loading (or preloading) terrain that give us a smoother experience. An improvement over edge engine. VERY GOOD WORK. With fixes and stable version in only 1.5 month, and hotfixes addressing performance issues.

3-. But NOW: I only see some changes in shader properties in lighting, more vivid and more contrasted, different colout properties or tones, a bit longer night lighting,... not much more. ONLY that (appart to have other new VR problems like double clouds in one eye, lighting seen in one eye, the list is huge...). But those aren´t significant changes like new terrain engine (edge), new shadows, more LOD in terrain (caucasus 2.5.0), or complete deferred shading implementation (2.0b and 2.5.1), etc... like was implemented in the past. Never I tested a Beta or Alpha (2.0) or other version from ED Devs, with the problems we have now, its a completely disaster from my point of view, not comparable and not acceptable (I understand its a beta, but due we are testers... I only would some explanation from DEV what is happening NOW).

It seems to me that VR are are completely abandoned or at least, not tested, not giving any priority (in fact, there is no changes since more than 1 year in VR, but many new more bugs that 1.5 years).

I don´t understand why fix "memory leaks" if we cannot play 90% of missions (missions with more than 10-20 units), please consider return to 2.5.5 if finally trere is no solution or fix to fps problem (at least, with the SAME level of 2.5.5). I only hope the message you pass to DEVs will be taken in account, because if not, I only would have the opportunity of recover my money I paid in EA carrier ops module, because with this performance in VR, with this approach, I´m sure I will not use. It will be so kind if I could have that possiblity now, to recover what I invested trusting in ED of having a more optimized product in 2020.

Edited by Gryzor

looking at CPU load in task manager or similar tools is pretty meaningless.

If you look at the frame times (i use fpsVR) between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 whilst the GPU frame time is increased a little, it is the increased CPU frame time that is causing the problem. Whilst the maximum CPU frame time is unchanged the number of times it hits that maximum is significantly up.

I took this when 2.5.6 first came out the picture has not improved by much ...

y4mH_uEloo2kQhENLWbBmDi3dW3RfMjUkbZqAfEgpz1OV0qKqyYCdzlNpCwhpN1o95PsVy7kzW94sZX9iSivRlpuYadG98Ke0qyPp17TyYbq6ENSiFCT6I7gBq1jxsqUKGXQiIh_nccnFZPEQeFmmTSxlVECABX17IMsIp1-nKmzmZ4-VD13U0JylA9RhEetAF8

both of these were taken in the instant action mission free flight , for an f-18 in the Caucuses after about 15 seconds of straight and level flight, on the same settings for both...

something i just noticed why is it using less GPU memory in 2.5.6 that feels "odd"

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

If you look at the frame times (i use fpsVR) between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 whilst the GPU frame time is increased a little, it is the increased CPU frame time that is causing the problem. Whilst the maximum CPU frame time is unchanged the number of times it hits that maximum is significantly up.

I took this when 2.5.6 first came out the picture has not improved by much ...

y4mH_uEloo2kQhENLWbBmDi3dW3RfMjUkbZqAfEgpz1OV0qKqyYCdzlNpCwhpN1o95PsVy7kzW94sZX9iSivRlpuYadG98Ke0qyPp17TyYbq6ENSiFCT6I7gBq1jxsqUKGXQiIh_nccnFZPEQeFmmTSxlVECABX17IMsIp1-nKmzmZ4-VD13U0JylA9RhEetAF8

both of these were taken in the instant action mission free flight , for an f-18 in the Caucuses after about 15 seconds of straight and level flight, on the same settings for both...

something i just noticed why is it using less GPU memory in 2.5.6 that feels "odd"

Maybe less GPU memory could be related to stutters in caucasus preloading, due not preload terrain (using tgp or sensers is very easy to see it).

Who's looking at Task manager? FPS VR is showing sever under utilization of resources overall.

Rivatuner shows the same thing. GPU significantly under loaded, no single CPU core being maxed out.

Hi all

thanks

Sry @BIGNEWy, tweaking down the settings ist not the way, and b the way I already did.

The actual 2.5 branch has never been so bad.

It seems that especially more modern systems with an 8700k ore 9900k are running quite weak.

There is a huge game braking bug that neds to be resoved, please.

i7-8700K / 32GB RAM @3000 / 1TB M.2 SSD / Asus RTX 2080 Ti OC

VR- Gamer: Valve Index

Flight Gear: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Thrustmaster TPR / 3x Thrustmaster MFD / Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all

thanks

If the solution to an update in lighting is to 'turn down the settings' then it clearly wasn't worth it. Any other modern flight sim optimizes and improves over time, Dcs has only got worse.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Thanks @bignewy. if the lighting change means this much perf drop, the i would rather we didn't have the lighting change, a switch to turn it off would be also welcome, because TBH whilst being able to see water reflections is nice and the shallows on the beach, it does not damage my immersion as much as not being able to fly in combat... I know you guys are super passionate about getting the right balance here and i know you will work towards the right goal for you as a company.

I hope everyone is well and remains that way

Agree with that, There's no point in having a game with great graphics if no one can play it in vr. It's an aviation simulation not baywatch or cows game.

Agree with that, There's no point in having a game with great graphics if no one can play it in vr. It's an aviation simulation not baywatch or cows game.

I totaly agree.

Such implementations should be done after core optimisations.

i7-8700K / 32GB RAM @3000 / 1TB M.2 SSD / Asus RTX 2080 Ti OC

VR- Gamer: Valve Index

Flight Gear: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Thrustmaster TPR / 3x Thrustmaster MFD / Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2.5.5 work fine with VR, we don't need graphics update, please roll back graphic engine before deploy the patch on stable and work on planes development. I invested 1500€ for VR ready specs computer with VR device, you cant tell decrease graphics for gain FPS!! For same graphic quality i want same FPS than 2.5.5. It's not correct to modify the game specs at every patch

Hi all

thanks

Do you really care about what players are telling ? we don't want your useless graphics update, what is so difficult to understand here ?

• ED Team
Do you really care about what players are telling ? we don't want your useless graphics update, what is so difficult to understand here ?

Calm yourself.

As I have said we are investigating, I am reporting to the team, there is no miscommunication.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Calm yourself.

As I have said we are investigating, I am reporting to the team, there is no miscommunication.

Thanks

Hi BIGNEWY!

Please try to understand the VR community:

Since 2.5.6 the OB is simply unplayable - since 5 weeks! To fix this should have TOP priority.

In the mean time I fly on the stable branch, that is ok. But how long will the stable be playable?!?

This is what every VR Pilot here fears: that the stable goes 2.5.6

It's cool that there are Special offers, but to be honest: I am not willed to spend a single penny, as long as the problem is not fixed! I don't want to be unpolite, but I only fear, that if you roll out 2.5.6 on stable DCS is not playable for me anymore; so I don't want to waste my money!

And my hardware is not the best, but also not the worst!

It simply can't be a deal: Nice lightening vs. really bad FPS

So please: If you can not fix the FPS ASAP, remove the lightening and put your efforts in finishing the modules!

I think most of the users can live without the nice lights!!!!!!!

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

2.5.5 work fine with VR, we don't need graphics update, please roll back graphic engine before deploy the patch on stable and work on planes development. I invested 1500€ for VR ready specs computer with VR device, you cant tell decrease graphics for gain FPS!! For same graphic quality i want same FPS than 2.5.5. It's not correct to modify the game specs at every patch
The last update to stable (2.5.5) was Dec 24 which in the scheme of software development is nothing especially when you factor in Xmas holidays and the recent disruptions.

I could cite a zillion examples of software where live business critical production systems have been seriously impacted and it take a lot longer to fix. We are talking about a beta version here.

I too have invested significantly in DCS running on VR but I want to see the product grow as an overall package and I am prepared to show some patience, I would rather the team spend the time making 2.5.6 work better in VR than abandon it at this relatively early stage. Creating additional branches for VR vs monitors would only seem to over complicate and slow down development IMHO.

This thread is great in terms of giving feedback which may help identify the performance issues but endlessly demanding roll backs when the stable 2.5.5 version is still available and will be for the foreseeable future is, in my opinion, far less helpful.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat