Sabre Skins for DCS 2.5 by jocko417 - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #71
jocko417

Default RCAF Sabre Mk.2 - 1 (F) Wing, North Luffenham, UK

Was playing around with my templates recently and decided to go back a bit further in time. RCAF fighter squadrons in the early fifties had pretty colourful art before things started to become more standardized in the mid-fifties.

When Canada first sent Sabres to serve with NATO forces overseas, No. 1 Fighter Wing was based in England, at North Luffenham, just east of Leicester. The Sabres were based in the UK to defend Britain from the MiG threat, since the RAF at the time only had first generation straight-winged types on strength, like the Gloster Meteor and the deHavilland Vampire. Once the RAF had enough swept wing fighters based at home, 1 (F) Wing moved to it's new home at Marville, France, and upgraded to the more powerful Sabre Mk.5.

But back to North Luffenham:

Canada's NATO fighter squadrons were originally equipped with the Canadair Sabre Mk.2 (and some Mk.4s), basically the same as an F-86E, with the narrow chord, slatted wing. A lot of the Canadair Mk.2s (and 4s) were later upgraded to the hard leading edged, broad chord 6-3 wing and sold to other NATO nations.

So I figured I'd do some "semi-historical" RCAF paint schemes for our F-86F model, starting with 1 Wing, circa early 1950s.

No. 410 (Cougar) Squadron

No. 439 (Sabre-Toothed Tiger) Squadron

No. 441 (Silver Fox) Squadron

Sabre 2 paint schemes include squadron artwork, and the early all-plastic intake (with metal gun camera panel at 6 o'clock position).

441 squadron artwork changed a few times in the early fifties, this is a composite of the two main styles.

Wing walkway stripes have been painted to mimic the slatted leading edges of the early Sabres.

Aircraft numbers can be assigned in the mission editor, using the nose BORTS. I made new BORTS using authentic aircraft numbers as seen in period photos. 441 displayed the last three digits of the aircraft serial (Sabre Mk.1-4 used 19 as the leading two digits whereas Sabre Mk.5 and 6 used 23), 439 displayed the last three as well, and later just the last two digits, albeit larger in size. 410 sometimes put the last three on the inboard slat section on both left and right wings, which we obviously can't do in the game.

The numbers are randomized, you can use them by typing 111, 222, 333, etc. into the mission editor.

The sharp eyed will probably notice that the fuselage nationality markings do not directly oppose each other but are slightly skewed fore and aft. This is because of the way the RCAF arranged the fuselage marking string back then.

The string consisted of a two-letter squadron code/roundel/single letter for the individual aircraft, just like it had been in WW2. It was "read" from left to right on both sides of the fuselage, so the roundel on the right side will always appear to be too far forward in comparison with the left side.

As these skins can't use fuselage BORTS I have left the letter codes off, and used nose BORTS instead.

Pilot textures include period squadron patches, and early, dark blue RCAF flying suits.

Lastly, cockpits in the Sabre 2s were finished in all over matte black. My Early Black custom cockpit textures can be used to complete the experience

Available here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/3308361/

Last edited by jocko417; 03-12-2020 at 01:31 AM.
jocko417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #72
jocko417

Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #73
reece146

Excellent work per usual!
reece146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #74
71st_AH Rob

Outstanding!

Training for Sabre Pilots
http://1-fighter-otu.enjin.com/

http://www.il2aceshigh.com/
71st_AH Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #75
jocko417

Default Golden Hawks 1960

This one took a lot of tweaking and I think this is about the best it will get, especially for a guy with no formal training in image editing software/skinning

Canadair Sabre Mk.5 23066 of the RCAF Golden Hawks aerobatics team, circa 1960, as flown by team lead S/L Fern Villeneuve, who passed away on Christmas Day, 2019, in his 93rd year.

Finished in Sheffield Luxor Pale Gold, with polished bare metal trim and Golden Hawks team markings as they appeared during the 1960 season. Minimal weathering, as this was an airshow bird.

I had to play around with the mipmap settings to keep any ghosting around the markings to a minimum, and the ROUGHMET files took a lot of work to get the proper look for metal flake paint.

Pilot wears Golden Hawks flying gear with patches and metallic gold helmet.

Available now, includes <BONUS!> the later paint scheme as seen on Mk.6 aircraft in the final two seasons:

See first post for skin pack DL link

Last edited by jocko417; 05-10-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 AM   #76
jocko417

Golden Hawks skins released, see first post in this thread for link.