HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I can try it again...but that doesn’t change the fact that my hardware with 100% SS and the same imacken settings, should be capable of similar fps

Yep, personally, I see no difference in fps with different visibility settings. Ultra/high/medium etc. all feel the same to me, but I keep it on High just in case!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I can try it again...but that doesn’t change the fact that my hardware with 100% SS and the same imacken settings, should be capable of similar fps

Have you tried using FpsVR to see where your bottleneck is? It's available on the Steam store for around $4, it's an invaluable tool for seeing whether your framerate issues lie with the CPU or GPU.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

Have you tried using FpsVR to see where your bottleneck is? It's available on the Steam store for around $4, it's an invaluable tool for seeing whether your framerate issues lie with the CPU or GPU.

Yes i have it and i used in the past when i was spending more time testing and trying to optimize then flying.

There i saw that both the cpu and the gpu are unable to deliver under 22ms in every situation

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Can someone explain to me how I’m supposed to be interpreting the metrics that fpsVR is showing me?

I’m seeing around ~18-20ms when flying close to the ground or in complex scenarios (ie basically anything other than the NTTR F-18 free flight mission.

Ie shall I be tuning to aim for 11ms? I’ve also noticed that based upon my rig (see sig.), my GPU sits at around ~75% utilisation; I’m assuming this means my CPU is the bottleneck?

Edited by obious

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Sorry to change the subject for a bit, but I just had to share it with someone...

I just pulled the trigger!! :pilotfly:

I agreed on buying a 2nd hand Reverb (version 2) for €600,-. Which basically saves me about €90,- as to getting it from the HP store. (money to spend on another module :P). The guy I'm buying it from, told me he's selling it because he has an ipd of 70 and therefor can't use its full potential. He bought it 3 months ago, so I still got warranty. Friday we'll meet up and if all goes according plan, I'll be the happy new owner :)

Some of you guys advised me to go to HP store and may probably find it quite stupid to purchase it 2nd hand. It's not that I didn't want to listen to you, but (as most people here I guess) this hobby is quite expensive for me, so If I can I try to get a nice deal somewhere. I also bought my cv1 and my HOTAS 2nd hand and both of them have never let me down, so I have good hopes for my Reverb

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Sorry to change the subject for a bit, but I just had to share it with someone...

I agreed on buying a 2nd hand Reverb (version 2) for €600,-. Which basically saves me about €90,- as to getting it from the HP store. (money to spend on another module :P). The guy I'm buying it from, told me he's selling it because he has an ipd of 70 and therefor can't use its full potential. He bought it 3 months ago, so I still got warranty. Friday we'll meet up and if all goes according plan, I'll be the happy new owner :)

Some of you guys advised me to go to HP store and may probably find it quite stupid to purchase it 2nd hand. It's not that I didn't want to listen to you, but (as most people here I guess) this hobby is quite expensive for me, so If I can I try to get a nice deal somewhere. I also bought my cv1 and my HOTAS 2nd hand and both of them have never let me down, so I have good hopes for my Reverb

I hope you get the version with the clip. :D Welcome in the new array of Vr!

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Good Luck!

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I hope you get the version with the clip. :D Welcome in the new array of Vr!

I will, he send me a few pictures of it. But I'll double check it during the transfer, just to be sure :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I just went ahead bought a Reverb today as well !

I have had a Vive since launch in early 2016 and was eager to update to an Index or a Reverb. The Index wait was killing me (its never in stock) so I just went ahead and got the Reverb.

My main concern was having to fiddle with WMR and stories of how Microsoft software updates can make it act weirdly. But I guess tinkering with stuff is part of the PC gaming fun :D

Going to have to get new lenses from VRoptician. I don't think the old Vive ones will fit.

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

This may help some people.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

This may help some people.

Yep, really useful video. However, he does get the whole SteamVR SS and PD values relationship wrong when he suggestes that SS of 200% is equivalent to a PD of 2. But, I've gone on about that often enough here!

Also, on a personal level, I see absolutely no benefit when using the Shaders mod. The visual degradations are just not worth any minor improvement in my opinion.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Today i tried again fpsvr and I discovered something strange while trying in the persian gulf f18 instant free flight (100 feet over Dubai) and I discovered that with my actual settings i never go up 22ms neither with the gpu nor the cpu (Max 19/20 ms with the gpu and around 17 with the cpu) but i still have fps lower then 45. I don’t know how that is possible...22ms should be the maximum value for keeping 45fps.

Anyway during normal flight (away from dubai and at an higher altitude ) the ms are around 14/16 for both the cpu and the gpu.

In conclusion I think that i miss something and that my gpu is not performing well. Its an asus turbo gtx1080ti but with liquid cooling. Not the best 1080ti i know, but it is not the right time to change gpu

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

what's your GPU utilisation ?

Around 75% .

Cpu 20% (max thread around 40%)

But my point is that with less then 22ms timing i still have fps lower then 45. How that is possible?

Yep, really useful video. However, he does get the whole SteamVR SS and PD values relationship wrong when he suggestes that SS of 200% is equivalent to a PD of 2. But, I've gone on about that often enough here!

Also, on a personal level, I see absolutely no benefit when using the Shaders mod. The visual degradations are just not worth any minor improvement in my opinion.

I also don't use the shaders mod. Found no real benefit from it visually. Some of the other tweaks he mentions are very useful like the windows settings, clearing the shaders and making sure you have an idea of what each dcs graphics option does to performance.

I use a PD of 1.0 and 100% SS for the reverb and it's pretty smooth. Haven't even touched motion reprojection at all.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Around 75% .

But my point is that with less then 22ms timing i still have fps lower then 45. How that is possible?

Interesting. Do fpsVR and DCS show the same FPS values?

Interesting. Do fpsVR and DCS show the same FPS values?

Yes quite similar

I also don't use the shaders mod. Found no real benefit from it visually. Some of the other tweaks he mentions are very useful like the windows settings, clearing the shaders and making sure you have an idea of what each dcs graphics option does to performance.

Another thing I would say is that he is likening MSAA with nVidia anti-aliasing unfairly. Sure, the nCP option is less demanding, but it doesn’t come close to the end result that MSAA does in quality terms.

Around 75% .

no idea, i really don't, the only thing i can think of is that the CPU is bottle necking some how .. but, your CPU is way more powerful than mine.

In fpsVR, is that also below 22ms, if any of that is spiking red that might be the problem... then we only have to figure out why ...

the only other thing might be not having DCS on an SSD ... or mismatched memory ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

no idea, i really don't, the only thing i can think of is that the CPU is bottle necking some how .. but, your CPU is way more powerful than mine.

In fpsVR, is that also below 22ms, if any of that is spiking red that might be the problem... then we only have to figure out why ...

the only other thing might be not having DCS on an SSD ... or mismatched memory ...

Dcs is on an ssd the open beta on a nvme one.

Yes there are red spikes.

My gpu frametime are higher then cpu ones at least in the scenario i am testing (dubai)

If you are seeing red spikes in your cpu? Then that's what is impacting your frame rate. It doesn't matter if your gpu is in the green or amber, if your cpu is spiking red, you will be getting less than 45fps.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

If you are seeing red spikes in your cpu? Then that's what is impacting your frame rate. It doesn't matter if your gpu is in the green or amber, if your cpu is spiking red, you will be getting less than 45fps.

Not sure. He’s getting a maximum of 22ms. No matter what, that should be showing 45fps.

Dcs is on an ssd the open beta on a nvme one.

Yes there are red spikes.

My gpu frametime are higher then cpu ones at least in the scenario i am testing (dubai)

This might be obvious, but do you have Vsync enabled in DCS settings? It causes weird stuttering and issues in VR at least for me.

This might be obvious, but do you have Vsync enabled in DCS settings? It causes weird stuttering and issues in VR at least for me.

Then he wouldn't be spiking red...

Not sure. He’s getting a maximum of 22ms. No matter what, that should be showing 45fps.

Exactly...that is driving me mad.

Maybe i need to lower the vr pre rendered frames?