Curved runways in DCS ? Anyone ?

Kelevra

When playing sims we always tend to wish for real life equivalent (albeit sometimes imperfect's one) for increased immersion.

regarding runways,

I have always wandered why they were all perfectly (almost too perfectly) plane.

Indeed, in real life, lots of runways are curved.

Here is a few exemples I could find :

12oe4.jpg

Landing_at_Zurich_International_Airport.jpg

runway-wallpaper-4.jpg

You get the idea.

I think, that in our sim runways are too perfect.

b006b6b3c12ecd81cf02faec9ff152a42fd9ea7c.jpg

Now is it a software limitation ? An oversight ?

Whats your take on that ?

• Like 3

The runways aren't perfectly flat. There were even some issues people had with glitches with certain aircraft if I remember, which occured only on particular non flat runways.

A lot of what you're seeing in the photos is also optical distortions, or a matter of perspective and camera focus (i.e. it looks worse than it is). Most runways are going to be pretty flat because they try to build them that way... rough wavy runways are dangerous at 200mph. Ones that AREN'T pretty flat would be the exception, not the norm.

PC games usually don't ''do'' optical distortions. A computer renders things as they are, not as they are refracted through light and heat waves.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yeah, there's a fair bit of narrow-fov forced perspective going on in those images — just remember how long your average runway is and what that means in terms of the distances between those humps.

That said, there are a fair amount of, if not outright bumpy, then at least slanted runways in DCS, most notably in Nevada, where one end may be several tens of feet higher or lower than the other end.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

In DCS, there are runways that aren't level, but they're flat. I've never encountered one, or at least noticed one that had essentially woopdies in it. If there are, could someone point out an example?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Soganlug is probably the best example of not being perfectly flat. Could have swore there were other bases like Havadrya or one of the small airports on NTTR but it doesn't appear to be the case.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Inside a computer game it's asking for problems. Let the technology progress a bit.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

XP 11 Has this feature to a degree. the terrain mesh though is a pretty low resolution for the ability to use the entire world. However, I have run into a few runways in XP that are like ski jumps and I go off of a jump at 80kts and end up smashing back down further down the runway. both for landing and takeoff.

it makes it very challenging. While I agree that this feature would be awesome in DCS more than it already is. The developers just need to be careful and make sure it's smooth.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E MB | Ryzen 9 5950x | ASUS Tuf RTX 4080 | 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 MHz DDR4 | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Track IR 5 | Gigabyte M27Q-P 1440p 165hz |

Guys, that feature is already in DCS... check Havadarya per example

-------

All the people keep asking for capabilities to be modelled.... I want the limitations to be modelled.... limitations make for realistic simulation.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a bit you realize the pig likes it.

Long time ago in galaxy far far away:

https://www.deviantart.com/alfafox/gallery

Checked all Caucasus runways - all flat but some sloped.

Checked NTTR runways - some have curves but most notable ones are at McCarran. Both protuberant and concave ones.:thumbup:

McCarran.png.d0abd48380b2a0b9b696a3143ae801c7.png

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

XP 11 Has this feature to a degree. the terrain mesh though is a pretty low resolution for the ability to use the entire world. However, I have run into a few runways in XP that are like ski jumps and I go off of a jump at 80kts and end up smashing back down further down the runway. both for landing and takeoff.

it makes it very challenging. While I agree that this feature would be awesome in DCS more than it already is. The developers just need to be careful and make sure it's smooth.

True, XP11 does have that, actually i think it appeared in earlier versions too. But I seem to recall that the user could turn off that feature if they didn't like it, giving perfectly flat runways if you checked a box. options are nice!:pilotfly:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Another one I found in NTTR - Tonopah Test Range RWY11/29

Wow. Good find, draconus!!

I know this is an old thread, but definitely relevant given then upcoming Marianas map.

PS: You've definitely earned your "DCS Ground Crew" forum tag now.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that one ;))

Wow. Good find, draconus!!

I know this is an old thread, but definitely relevant given then upcoming Marianas map.

PS: You've definitely earned your "DCS Ground Crew" forum tag now.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that one ;))

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259907 Oh it's live and kicking

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The Biggin Hill Roller-coaster

... and here's jolly old Biggin Hill (profile courtesy of Google earth):

1709473293_BigginHillRunwayprofile(GoogleEarth)2020-01-10214345.thumb.png.11e963e2db2f780f2980f07df86916b1.png

I'm not sure how to get a decent view with this picture-file (best I could find was "attachment") ... Please could anybody point me to "How to Use Forum Tools" guide?

Rig A: (New in 2019) Custom-built: ASUS Maximus Code XI; Water-cooled i7-8700K; 32 GB RAM; 2xSSD=970 EVO 500GB; Graphics Card = EVGA RTX 2080 (FTW3 Ultra); Thrustmaster Warthog; Saitek Rudder; Tracking Headset.

Rig B: Surface Book (Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz; 16GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GPU(1GB-RAM); 500GB SSD) Saitek 35x Joystick & Throttle

Rig C: Alienware M17X-R2 (Intel Core i7 Q820 CPU@1.73GHz; 8GB DDR3 RAM; Twin AMD HD5800 Radeon GPUs (1 GB RAM each); 500GB SSD + 500GB HD)

Anderson AFB

Now that we know the next free map is the Mariana's this has to be implemented. FWIW, back in the day when I was BUFF aircrew...the old crusty RN's used to talk about the 70 knot time call at Anderson being the second time not the first time because of the change of slope of the runway...

Cheers

SKÖT

Edited by mkellytx

Now that we know the next free map is the Mariana's this has to be implemented. FWIW, back in the day when I was BUFF aircrew...the old crusty BN's used to talk about the 70 knot time call at Anderson being the second time not the first time because of the change of slope of the runway...

Cheers

SKÖT

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4161577#post4161577

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2020 at 9:30 AM, draconus said:

Again, it is implemented. Just a question of how much detail devs choose.

We definitely need more curved runways. Wags pls tell Nick to add more details.

Edited by Expert