HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I am wearing glasses and was concerned of the glasses lenses touching the Reverb lenses but there is a gap - even when tight. On my Lenovo Explorer the gap is so narrow they can touch and mar the glasses and lenses. I don't see any halo or anything funky. IPD may be the issue. I am 64 mm. I think that is why the sweet spot is so large for me.

Definitely not an IPD issue. Its more of a vertical angle issue. If I get the right vertical angle on the HMD, I don't see the halos from the upper and lower edges of the lenses. The problem is, that perfect vertical angle never stays for very long. Its not affecting the clarity of the display, or the size of the sweet spot, I just keep seeing the edges of the lenses and its annoying as hell. Its almost like the foam in the face pad isn't rigid enough so I'm sinking into it just a little too far. I can also make the halos go away just by pulling the HMD away from my face by mere millimeters. Other than that, the cockpit of the A-10C is nice and crisp.

Haven't had much time for tweaking or enabling motion reprojection, so there's smearing of the image if I move my head too fast, but it actually seems to be less pronounced than it is in my Rift with ASW turned off. I think its definitely a keeper, just have to learn all the ins and outs of WMR and SteamVR. I might even figure out that the halos are caused by something I overlooked. Kind of had an embarrassing moment yesterday when I was bummed by the fact that the right eye seemed to have damaged optics right along the vertical center of the lens. That was when I took the HMD off and discovered there was protective film on both lenses. DOH! :doh:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I guess everyone's head is shaped differently too and distance from the front of the face to the eyes. Maybe my eyes are sunk a few mm back into my head more. lol I have been loosening the straps slowly just for best comfort and now I think I could wear it easily for a few hours or more in comfort. Before mine arrived on Tuesday I read about someone who left those films on or I might have done the same thing.

How many FPS are you seeing flying near terrain? I don't get much smear moving my head but without the reprojection on it is about 60 FPS near terrain and 90 FPS pointed skyward. The reprojection helps the stutter out the side canopy looking at the terrain at a very low altitude in the F-18 at a high speed. It's not bad with it off but it definitely smooths it out a bit. I am sure it is doing other smoothing.

The clarity is so good I have been watching some of the free 3D VR movies on Steam. Some of them are stunning. You can make any size screen you want in the cliff house. 4K videos on YouTube look great too. I am very impressed after my Lenovo Explorer which always seemed fuzzy with a much smaller sweet spot. The entire DCS main menu is clear now.

For spotting jets at a distance in A2A or seeing the green carrier landing lights (datum) from past 10 NM it is amazing compared to the Lenovo. It certainly makes the Case III landings easier in such clarity and detail. As good as mine is performing I don't see why a 1080ti or even a 1080 wouldn't work pretty well.

Definitely not an IPD issue. Its more of a vertical angle issue. If I get the right vertical angle on the HMD, I don't see the halos from the upper and lower edges of the lenses. The problem is, that perfect vertical angle never stays for very long. Its not affecting the clarity of the display, or the size of the sweet spot, I just keep seeing the edges of the lenses and its annoying as hell. Its almost like the foam in the face pad isn't rigid enough so I'm sinking into it just a little too far. I can also make the halos go away just by pulling the HMD away from my face by mere millimeters. Other than that, the cockpit of the A-10C is nice and crisp.

Haven't had much time for tweaking or enabling motion reprojection, so there's smearing of the image if I move my head too fast, but it actually seems to be less pronounced than it is in my Rift with ASW turned off. I think its definitely a keeper, just have to learn all the ins and outs of WMR and SteamVR. I might even figure out that the halos are caused by something I overlooked. Kind of had an embarrassing moment yesterday when I was bummed by the fact that the right eye seemed to have damaged optics right along the vertical center of the lens. That was when I took the HMD off and discovered there was protective film on both lenses. DOH! :doh:

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Just got an email from BLT :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your order:

The following item you ordered is in stock:

REVERB VIRTUAL REALITY HEADSET - PROFESSIONAL EDITION

We have processed this item for an estimated ship date of today. The day following shipment, a receipt will be sent by email with tracking information.

If you should have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us via the methods listed below. Thank you for your time, and business.

Best Regards,

David D.

I just got an email with 21st date....

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Still nothing from Amazon. Ordering from them was a absolute mistake......
I search "reverb" or "HP reverb" on Amazon and nothing even remotely close shows up lol.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I just did the Run As Administrator trick on the shortcut for it on my desktop, because that's what a YouTube video I found said to do. I was doubting it would work for anything other than clicking on the shortcut, but somehow it translated to keeping it from automatically running. When I want to run DCS on the Rift now, I have to manually start Oculus before starting DCS. If I don't do that, it doesn't autorun when DCS is started. :)

That certainly seems easiest. I will give it a go once my PC has stopped downloading 34GB of Open Beta 2.55 on my lightning fast 3.5Mbs internet connection. It has been on overnight and probably will be all today too.

Hoping that 2.55, Oculus disabled, motion reprojection on auto, setting shadows to flat and backing off some static ground objects populating my airfields will give me better performance on the ground. In the air was not a problem.

Then to try some audio suggestions to get Buttkicker running again (thanks to that poster). Buttkicker is a bit like VR, once you have had it, you can't go back.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I know my Reverb has worked perfectly with just over ten hours on it as of a little while ago.

There are a handful of folks on Reddit are having a similar Reverb problem. It sounds like maybe the cable connector? One lens flickers or goes black. I would love to know how many actually shipped on the first go around.

I have that exact issue. The Reverb flickers and goes a bit darker after a few seconds of use. Also, I occasionally get one or both lenses going black for a few seconds and that usually is followed by a DCS/SteamVR crash.

Do you have link to the Reddit thread?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have that exact issue. The Reverb flickers and goes a bit darker after a few seconds of use. Also, I occasionally get one or both lenses going black for a few seconds and that usually is followed by a DCS/SteamVR crash.

You might want to stick a powered USB hub between the headset and your PC, that solved a lot of flickering issues on my WMR headset. Also SteamVR shuts down if the headset disconnects, which closes DCS, so if you temporarily lose connection (which happened a lot to me without the powered USB hub) then it looks like the game has crashed (when actually it's just the headset switching off/on quickly).

You might want to stick a powered USB hub between the headset and your PC, that solved a lot of flickering issues on my WMR headset. Also SteamVR shuts down if the headset disconnects, which closes DCS, so if you temporarily lose connection (which happened a lot to me without the powered USB hub) then it looks like the game has crashed (when actually it's just the headset switching off/on quickly).

Yep, that's what I thought. I did have it plugged into a non-powered USB hub. I have now moved it to a direct USB3 port on my motherboard.

So far, so good!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If you need to use a hub for any sim/gaming peripherals Powered USB is the only way to go.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Yep, that's what I thought. I did have it plugged into a non-powered USB hub. I have now moved it to a direct USB3 port on my motherboard.

So far, so good!

I spoke too soon. The issue of flickering screen is still there. However, I think I have probably mis-described this. It's not a flickering, but one flicker and then a slight dimming of the display that occurs about a minute or so into a session, whether it is WMR Portal Home, SteamVR or DCS. So, it's clearly not related to an particular app.

If you need to use a hub for any sim/gaming peripherals Powered USB is the only way to go.

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't totally agree with that as I have 2 powered hubs and 1 non-powered. Devices plugged into the non-powered have always worked without an issue. It depends on the devices.

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't totally agree with that as I have 2 powered hubs and 1 non-powered. Devices plugged into the non-powered have always worked without an issue. It depends on the devices.

Your right some devices work but I always go powered to eliminate the possibility of the issue arising ....My headset is coming soon thanks for posting your findings.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I've been experiencing the same "dimming" issue with my headset. Initially it occurred in the right eye. But, it soon started in either left or right, followed by the other eye also dimming several minutes later.

I've tried all my on-board USB 3 ports, including a Fresco Logic powered card originally acquired for use with my Rift, all with the same result. Although I haven't tried an external powered hub, I have tried it with the USB-C on my GPU (RTX 2080ti FE) which provides at least 15W, also with the same result.

I've now contacted support and the headset is being RMA'd. I'm gutted as it looks like there's quite a wait for replacement stock. Dimming aside, the image quality, detail and sense of scale in the Reverb has been a revelation and I really don't want to go back to the Rift.

(JTF-1) Yomo | 55th FS

JTF-1 Discord

Asus Prime Z370 MB // Intel i7 8086k @ 5GHz // 32GB DDR4 3200 // RTX 2080ti // Virpil FSSB3 Lighting, Cougar Throttle with USB mod, T-50 Base + Warthog HOTAS, custom collective // Thrustmaster TPR // Vipergear v2 ICP // 3xCougar MFDs // a bunch of DIY Button Boxes // Oculus Rift

I've been experiencing the same "dimming" issue with my headset. Initially it occurred in the right eye. But, it soon started in either left or right, followed by the other eye also dimming several minutes later.

I've tried all my on-board USB 3 ports, including a Fresco Logic powered card originally acquired for use with my Rift, all with the same result. Although I haven't tried an external powered hub, I have tried it with the USB-C on my GPU (RTX 2080ti FE) which provides at least 15W, also with the same result.

I've now contacted support and the headset is being RMA'd. I'm gutted as it looks like there's quite a wait for replacement stock. Dimming aside, the image quality, detail and sense of scale in the Reverb has been a revelation and I really don't want to go back to the Rift.

Doesn't the pro version come with a better warranty? One where they will do an advanced rma? Meaning they will send you a new unit first then you send yours back? I thought I read something like that about the pro model.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I paid for the consumer version (in the UK store), but received the Pro. I did note, though, that the warranty extends out to 2021. So, perhaps I will have the advanced RMA. In either case, there's still a wait for the replacement stock.

(JTF-1) Yomo | 55th FS

JTF-1 Discord

Asus Prime Z370 MB // Intel i7 8086k @ 5GHz // 32GB DDR4 3200 // RTX 2080ti // Virpil FSSB3 Lighting, Cougar Throttle with USB mod, T-50 Base + Warthog HOTAS, custom collective // Thrustmaster TPR // Vipergear v2 ICP // 3xCougar MFDs // a bunch of DIY Button Boxes // Oculus Rift

What you are describing seems to be the common issue. I hope I am in the majority with no problems. I did zip tie that cable on both sides on the connector to the headset strap but have had no issues other than the cable feeling like it is tugging at times. That really helps with it being so heavy. Many are saying the problem is with the cable. Others say try 60 Hz. Some say USB power.

Q3mZbNb.jpg

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

That's unfortunate, seems like that guy returned it for an Odyssey+. I can't imagine the Odyssey+ being more comfortable. But I do like the oled panels of my Odyssey. It's just so uncomfortable I have not flown in months.

Seems like the rift S also had the screen/lens flashing or going black from what I remember in the thread over there. Perhaps this is why they silently delayed the release in May. I would expect more from a $600+ headset too. Hopefully everyone that is afflicted can get the issue resolved.

Same problem here with the random flickering in either eye. Very annoying. I'm going to sit it out for now though. Hopefully it is a software issue.

Edit- This doesn't happen in 60hz mode.

Edited by oz555

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Took the tip Provantage showed 12 in stock yesterday, placed the order and got an email today stating its on backorder. "In stock" does not mean anything from this vendor.

I called ShopBLT and I didn't make the cut in the ones they received so I canceled and went with Neobits. Thanks for the update. I also found one at Provatage that has 34 in stock but they wanted to charge me $690 for shipping and taxes Neobits did not charge me taxes and paid $623.

https://www.provantage.com/hp-7dh40ut-aba~7HPP9HK7.htm

Took the tip Provantage showed 12 in stock yesterday, placed the order and got an email today stating its on backorder. "In stock" does not mean anything from this vendor.
That honestly didn't look like a trustworthy website to begin with. I've never heard of them and was surprised to see its in Ohio.

I am really starting to like the reprojection turned on. I was just cruising at about 500 knots 50-60 ft over the ground/runway in the F-18 freeflight on the Caucasus map and looking out the side it was as smooth as it can be and very clear (with the Reverb). I can see detail clearly now. Before it was too jerky to make much out. Thanks FearLessFrog!

A large SteamVR update was also just installed. It seems to fix a lot of things.

I am really starting to like the reprojection turned on. I was just cruising at about 500 knots 50-60 ft over the ground/runway in the F-18 freeflight on the Caucasus map and looking out the side it was as smooth as it can be and very clear (with the Reverb). I can see detail clearly now. Before it was too jerky to make much out. Thanks FearLessFrog!

A large SteamVR update was also just installed. It seems to fix a lot of things.

How is the ghosting? Reprojection always introduced ghosting of objects like other planes or buildings - especially during rolling manouvers as the reprojection probably couldn't predict the excact position of small fast moving objects. The landscape was buttery smooth but the ghosting objects were a big turn off.

Secoda, I would be very grateful if you could post your current in game settings and NVIDIA control panel settings (apologies if you have posted them before on this thread).

I am struggling to maintain a decent frame rates at 90 Hz and 180% Steam VR resolution both with and without the WMR reprojection.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’ll check tonight. Thanks! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Secoda, I would be very grateful if you could post your current in game settings and NVIDIA control panel settings (apologies if you have posted them before on this thread).

I am struggling to maintain a decent frame rates at 90 Hz and 180% Steam VR resolution both with and without the WMR reprojection.

Check post #1527. Not sure how to link in Tapatalk. I asked the same thing.