HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Just like with the native resolution, WMR is also fairly confusing when it comes to the forms of reprojection it uses. Here's my findings (I'll do a copy/paste rather than offsite link, as I think that is politer here and I've already type it :) ) :

"If a game can reach around 55 to 60 fps the WMR with the default.vrsettings set to ‘auto’ will use something called ‘motion temporal reprojection’, which is the Microsoft clone of ‘Async Space Warp’ (ASW) on the Oculus side. It looks ahead/behind frames with GPU geometry to work out an in-between frame that’s pretty convincing. This allows the trees to appear smooth at 90 Hz in the headset, but DCS needs to reach about 60 fps.

If a game only reaches about 45 fps or less then WMR falls back to ‘asynchronous rotional reprojection’, which is what the old ‘Async Time Warp’ (ATW) used to be on Oculus, i.e. ok for moving your head around, but bad at predicting things moving outside the cockpit. When you see the cockpit moving ok but the trees to the side ‘jumping’ in WMR then it’s using reprojection but falling back to what it can do.

I didn’t realize before why it falls back to the older algorithm like that, but does explain what people see.

It’s also why DCS will just stick at 45 fps even if motion reprojection is not set to ‘auto’ in that config file or everything is left as defaults - it’s because it defaults to the old ‘asynch rotational reprojection’ by default unless the ASW equivalent is enabled or the app is reaching 90 fps.

It will be interesting if the DCS VR optimizations allow more people to get to 60 fps with more settings maxed out. In my experiments with the WMR reprojection, the ‘motion temporal reprojection’ is very good, i.e. very smooth sideways trees.

REF: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps 2

Oh, plus should say. You can turn things on and off in the SteamVR settings stuff for the Valve ‘motion reprojection’ and all those things, then it’ll be completely ignored by the WMR headset. If you see any difference using those settings then it must be a placebo, as the reprojection steps only happen on the Microsoft driver side using its own rules/steps mentioned above I believe.

I think the resolution / super sampling percentage value is probably the only setting from SteamVR that is read, everything else is probably on the Windows WMR side of things.

It seems the best ‘tuning’ algorithm for WMR and using reprojection in DCS would be:

Go to the default.vsettings file and comment out (using //) the motion line, i.e. turn it OFF.

Test DCS with your settings. Adjust them so you get to 55 to 60 fps with the resolution / super sampling you want.

Go back to default.vrsettings and uncomment the line (remove the //) so it says “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”, in there.

That way you’ll get smooth tree sideways and reprojection working properly. The things I didn’t realize before were:

WMR always has some form of motion reprojection on, it’s just the simpler ‘rotational’ type (where looking sideways causes judders for example) if it can’t make some headroom over 45 fps (it seems typically you need 55 to 60 fps to be safe).

The fancy ‘motion vector’ reprojection is very good, but needs to be turned on in that file. Once on then you’re only ever going to see either 45 or 90 in the fps read-out. Turning it off is useful to adjust detail settings.

WMR is like archaeology on how it works underneath. I half expect to find a stick of a certain length that’s going to refract the sun’s rays over a temple map through a jewel, so we can find out how to do nicer anti aliasing one day…;) "

fearless just to agree with your earlier post - basically if you can get the game to 60fps (which from your post enables the windows version of ASW?) its a complete game changer - was testing with asseto corsa (will test with DCS later) and managed to get it locked to 60 and its amazingly smooth with absolutely no judder...…………….

Update: Tried with DCS and with the FW190 over Europe managed to get it locked to 60fps and was amazingly smooth with absolutely no judder - but with the f14 I was struggling between 30-40 fps and it never hit 60 and got some judder...……

weird thing is (and maybe you can explain it to me) in the WMR portal I set it to 90hz but I noticed in the steamVR options the headset was showing as 60hz before I had even tried to play asseto or DCS! - never had this before and surely it should be showing as 90hz?!(did notice my steam VR updating in steam before I used it)……..

Edited by mac22

I think I can say DCS is likely one of the most demanding titles for VR.

I very much concur here. In other game titles I play in VR ( Euro Truck simulator and others), I average around 80fps. Not close to half of this in dcs

I guess these are some the things being addressed in the VR optimization from ED.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

With “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”, in default.vrsettings enabled I do see a constant 45 FPS displayed (never 90 FPS even when all sky). The terrain is smoother near the ground looking sideways with it on. I am leaving it on for now. I guess with the added virtual frames the actual FPS you see is something approaching double that? To tweak more then I need to turn it back off to see the effect before re-enabling it.

bx3Ju6t.png

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

The WMR cliff house functions and Windows desktop are really useful now with the clarity of the Reverb.

I was surprised how good Buzz Aldrin Cycling Pathways to Mars in 3D (free on Steam) was with the HP Reverb. Definitely worth the 20 minutes or less to watch. There are quite a few well rated free 3D VR movies on Steam. The Reverb is a game changer for VR IMO.

steam://rungameid/608000

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

@Nagilem

:) you mixed threads and answered here, hehe. The new name for the CPU affinity option is - disable Hyperthreading. It prevents the .exe from using every 2nd core (the virtual ones). Would be helpful for others if you can post your findings in the original thread.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I would shift the SS to SteamVR as many of us are doing with the PD at 1.0 in DCS and see how it goes before I would buy a new card with a 2070. I suspect it will do ok. Especially if OC'd.

XPlane is real demanding in VR one of the reviewer/testers said. Even more so than DCS.

I tried using the SteamVR beta motion setting (uncommented it) and see a bit less judder when looking sideways close to the ground. The DCS FPS display is stuck on 45 FPS. I think the jury is still out about how much of an improvement it really is for my setup/config. since it is in that 58-60 FPS (without the motion setting) at the moment with the Reverb when near terrain. Still doing minor tweaking.

Great news about enabling motion reprojection in the settings files. I did just that last night while still tinkering with audio. BTW, I removed the headphones and they look at first glance to be identical fittings to the Rift. Might be possible to swap them over if the dimensions are the same..

I did not have time to test the motion reprojection settings, just enabled them and set to auto.

What I did find, despite whatever settings you put in sound as default, WMR overrides them, just like Rift did at release, even analogue stuff won't work. Disappointlng since I just bought some new earbuds for it.

Only way to run my buttkicker, so far as I can see is to run a splitter directly off the headset 3.5mm Jack, one to my buds, the other to the buttkicker amp. I will try tonight. More crap cable tied to the back of my headset. However if Rift headphones fit and the Jack still works with them fitted, happy days other than the addition buttkicker cable. A bit concerned about current running the larger drivers and sending the signal to the amp though.

I hate USB audio, God knows why headset manufacturers always insist on it. Cheaper to use one plug and cable I suppose. However it limits what you can do with audio.

BTW. Has anyone found a way to stop Oculus opening when DCS starts yet? It is a pain in the arse.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

BTW. Has anyone found a way to stop Oculus opening when DCS starts yet? It is a pain in the arse.

Click right on the desktop icon of the Oculus software. Select "properties". Go to field "compatibility" and check field "start program as admin". (I hope the expressions in " " are correct as I use the German version of Windows) That prevents the Oculus software from auto start.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Great news about enabling motion reprojection in the settings files. I did just that last night while still tinkering with audio. BTW, I removed the headphones and they look at first glance to be identical fittings to the Rift. Might be possible to swap them over if the dimensions are the same..

I did not have time to test the motion reprojection settings, just enabled them and set to auto.

What I did find, despite whatever settings you put in sound as default, WMR overrides them, just like Rift did at release, even analogue stuff won't work. Disappointlng since I just bought some new earbuds for it.

Only way to run my buttkicker, so far as I can see is to run a splitter directly off the headset 3.5mm Jack, one to my buds, the other to the buttkicker amp. I will try tonight. More crap cable tied to the back of my headset. However if Rift headphones fit and the Jack still works with them fitted, happy days other than the addition buttkicker cable. A bit concerned about current running the larger drivers and sending the signal to the amp though.

I hate USB audio, God knows why headset manufacturers always insist on it. Cheaper to use one plug and cable I suppose. However it limits what you can do with audio.

I operate my two BK's through windows 10.

Go to Sound Control Panel- Right click Recording- Hit Show disabled devices-Right click Stereo Mix and enable-Right click Stereo Mix again-Properties-Listen-Tick Listen to this device-Select second soundcard from drop down list-Apply-OK-Hit playback tab-Check both soundcards are enabled-Properties-Check second sound card has volume- Should be good to go.

This works very well, albeit with a little delay.

These settings can reset after Windows Updates. I have found that disabling and re-enabling the second sound card in the Sound Control Panel fixes this.

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Did you try my suggestion of setting Oculus to "Run As Administrator"? I'm doing that on my rig, and Oculus doesn't automatically open when you start DCS.

Just got my Reverb yesterday, so I'm working through all the clunkiness that is WMR. A major issue I noticed right off the bat is that the inside of the HMD doesn't seem to be recessed far enough from the face pad. The spot it seems to want to settle into naturally on my face puts the lenses way too close to my eyes. It doesn't seem to affect focus much, but I can see the edges of the lenses, which makes a rectangular blue halo around each eye. Anybody having the same issue?

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I am wearing glasses and was concerned of the glasses lenses touching the Reverb lenses but there is a gap - even when tight. On my Lenovo Explorer the gap is so narrow they can touch and mar the glasses and lenses. I don't see any halo or anything funky. IPD may be the issue. I am 64 mm. I think that is why the sweet spot is so large for me.

Did you try my suggestion of setting Oculus to "Run As Administrator"? I'm doing that on my rig, and Oculus doesn't automatically open when you start DCS.

Just got my Reverb yesterday, so I'm working through all the clunkiness that is WMR. A major issue I noticed right off the bat is that the inside of the HMD doesn't seem to be recessed far enough from the face pad. The spot it seems to want to settle into naturally on my face puts the lenses way too close to my eyes. It doesn't seem to affect focus much, but I can see the edges of the lenses, which makes a rectangular blue halo around each eye. Anybody having the same issue?

Edited by Secoda

Right-click My Computer -> Computer Management/Manage -> Services & Applications -> Services -> Oculus VR Runtime service, turn that one to Off and on Manual. When Oculus is needed just turn it on. For easy of use you can create a shortcut directly to services.msc.

Don't give the Oculus App admin privileges, like others have stated, as you don't want to give apps more permissions than needed, because of security reasons.

Has more Reverb stock been released anywhere (globally) after the first batch? The US HP Store site where I got mine still shows Out of Stock.

Edited by Secoda

Has more Reverb stock been released anywhere after the first batch? The US HP Store site where I got mine still shows Out of Stock.
I've been looking but haven't found anything. I don't want to order from HP site though. I'd rather get it from a store but even Microsoft store doesn't carry it and I'm not sure if it will since it's the pro version.

I also checked Best buy and they had no such listing. Neither does Amazon.

Edited by sze5003

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

UK Reverb=0

I've been looking but haven't found anything. I don't want to order from HP site though. I'd rather get it from a store but even Microsoft store doesn't carry it and I'm not sure if it will since it's the pro version.

I also checked Best buy and they had no such listing. Neither does Amazon.

Cannot find any supplier in the UK that can sell me a Reverb. I hope someone from Blighty can correct me.

Cannot find any supplier in the UK that can sell me a Reverb. I hope someone from Blighty can correct me.
Interesting as those that seem to have one already are in UK or Europe in general. I was talking about the US, there's been nothing over here for a while. But I can walk into any store and buy a Rift S.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Interesting as those that seem to have one already are in UK or Europe in general. I was talking about the US, there's been nothing over here for a while. But I can walk into any store and buy a Rift S.

Firstly, thanks for all the replies regarding Oculus, I did go down the rabbit hole last night using file explorer , Oculus and services, then several sub folders and finally properties. Googling advised that I should open compatibility and tick a checkbox, but the compatability tab was no longer present. Further Googling revealed that method was no longer doable as Oculus had got wise to it.

I will give your suggestions a go....

Break. To OP.

HP UK have been sold out for quite a while now. It's odd that we got them first as it is usually the U.S. that gets stuff out before Europe. We didn't even get a chance to buy the Odyssey.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

@harlikwin - so what I am doing now is validating my configuration with what I have since the Reverb will just likely be more of the same, just at a higher res. I figure if the WMR, SteamVR, and DCS settings give me a good experience before the Reverb arrives, I'll be in a better position to see the difference the native HMD resolution makes.

This is also a learning journey for me in terms of getting good VR clarity with other apps. Since I decided to get an index, I am likely going to expand my VR experience beyond DCS. I've played Elite Dangerous and would like to try Onward, and a few other titles. I think I can say DCS is likely one of the most demanding titles for VR.

Got it.

And yeah, ED will run fine on the reverb, I can push ED to stupid high settings now. Worked fine on my old system too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just got an email from BLT :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your order:

The following item you ordered is in stock:

REVERB VIRTUAL REALITY HEADSET - PROFESSIONAL EDITION

We have processed this item for an estimated ship date of today. The day following shipment, a receipt will be sent by email with tracking information.

If you should have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us via the methods listed below. Thank you for your time, and business.

Best Regards,

David D.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Now i have to go through all the settings posts again......

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Called Neobits and they say they have a limited quantities available. Also, the cheapest price I can find. Reviews on the company looks good.

I called ShopBLT and I didn't make the cut in the ones they received so I canceled and went with Neobits. Thanks for the update. I also found one at Provatage that has 34 in stock but they wanted to charge me $690 for shipping and taxes Neobits did not charge me taxes and paid $623.

https://www.provantage.com/hp-7dh40ut-aba~7HPP9HK7.htm

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Firstly, thanks for all the replies regarding Oculus, I did go down the rabbit hole last night using file explorer , Oculus and services, then several sub folders and finally properties. Googling advised that I should open compatibility and tick a checkbox, but the compatability tab was no longer present. Further Googling revealed that method was no longer doable as Oculus had got wise to it.

I will give your suggestions a go....

I just did the Run As Administrator trick on the shortcut for it on my desktop, because that's what a YouTube video I found said to do. I was doubting it would work for anything other than clicking on the shortcut, but somehow it translated to keeping it from automatically running. When I want to run DCS on the Rift now, I have to manually start Oculus before starting DCS. If I don't do that, it doesn't autorun when DCS is started. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

ShopBLT.com has ETA of June 21, thus is June 13. Its only a week between the two.

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

I know my Reverb has worked perfectly with just over ten hours on it as of a little while ago.

There are a handful of folks on Reddit are having a similar Reverb problem. It sounds like maybe the cable connector? One lens flickers or goes black. I would love to know how many actually shipped on the first go around.

HP Reverb Stock Expected in July Following Delay, Early Users Report Display Issues

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-release-date-delay-slip-out-of-stock/