Red Flag Training Missions - F/A-18C - Page 11 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #101
beppe_goodoldrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Just downloaded this, and it looks great!
One trivial question though, is it possible to put some kind of mission success message in? Or a score?
Only tried the first mission, but it would be good to get some sort of indication of success - or failure more likely!
In the first mission you will get "mission end" message when parking. Follow the humvee until it stops.

In the other mission you will get it after landing , just before parking.
beppe_goodoldrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #102
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe_goodoldrebel View Post
In the first mission you will get "mission end" message when parking. Follow the humvee until it stops.

In the other mission you will get it after landing , just before parking.
Thanks for that. The humvee? Didn't see one.
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
imacken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #103
JumpinK

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe_goodoldrebel View Post

ADDED:
- realistic Modex numbers

THANK YOU very much!!!
"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"
— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.
JumpinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #104
imacken

Confused by the NTTR and formation flying mission now.
So, I went on the guided tour of NTTR with my wingman following all waypoints, landed back at Nellis, but no indication of the mission being finished.
What is the condition to get 100 score on this one?
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
Old 02-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #105
beppe_goodoldrebel

Quote:
Confused by the NTTR and formation flying mission now.
So, I went on the guided tour of NTTR with my wingman following all waypoints, landed back at Nellis, but no indication of the mission being finished.
What is the condition to get 100 score on this one?
100 score is reached after landing just before parking.

This is how it is supposed to work:

1) after landing at runway 21 Left turn right on taxiway Alpha
2) contact Nellis Ground , you'll be ordered to taxi Foxtrot then park at Foxtrot 135
3) during taxi you'll receive "Mission complete" message - this is when you'll get 100 score
4) park at F135 and shutdown

I know ATC and radio management is not easy at first but it's very rewarding after you get used to it.

Maybe I can make a short video on how it should be done so I can help newcomers to approach this monster :-)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #106
imacken

Thanks for that.
I think doing a short video on the ground radio aspect would be useful.
Personally, I don't have issues with radio comms when taking off, in air or landing, but I am confused by the comms on the ground in your missions. Maybe it's because I haven't come across this before, I don't know. Usually, in missions, I get the 'go to parking area' message and there are usually a couple of soldiers and a tanker waiting for me. I park near them and get the 'well done' type message.
In your missions, I am confused as there are messages saying what channel to tune to - and sometimes there are 2 channels simultaneously on the same COMM2 - and there are also messages saying 'press space bar to communicate with xxx' type thing. I find it difficult to know what to do. Should I use the normal COMMS menus, or just press spacebar and don't bother trying the normal ways of communicating? Not sure.
None of this is intended as a criticism as you have done a fantastic job, and this is not a paid-for product. My (and others) main gripe with some campaign/packages is that one can spend an hour flying into 'the situation' and get blown up within seconds, or fail the mission because of some missing protocol.
Maple Leaf's excellent products get round this by providing practice missions for each part of the campaign so that the user doesn't have the frustration as described. You get straight to the heart of the action, are able to practice procedures or techniques before taking on the full mission.
As I said, none of this is intended as criticism of the excellent work you have done, just personal observations.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #107
beppe_goodoldrebel

Quote:
In your missions, I am confused as there are messages saying what channel to tune to - and sometimes there are 2 channels simultaneously on the same COMM2 - and there are also messages saying 'press space bar to communicate with xxx' type thing. I find it difficult to know what to do. Should I use the normal COMMS menus, or just press spacebar and don't bother trying the normal ways of communicating? Not sure.
As I said before, it might seem hard at first, but it's very basic after you get it.

Basically it's just: press Spacebat to interact , follow instructions, go to the next waypoint.

On the ground are instructed to move through taxiways just as IRL. Taxiways have signals like that:

DCS's Nellis AFB might not have a very good signals but you can see the taxiways even on kneeboard.

I'll make a video today or tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #108
imacken

Thanks. I'm sure it is simple, but I'm still confused!
So, I did the NTTR formation flying again, landed at Nellis, crossed 21 R waited for some instruction to go to F135 parking, it didn't arrive, so I just went there anyway, but no, nothing. Score 0 as always! I don't ever see/hear your step #5 in previous post. How do I contact Nellis ground? There is nothing on the standard 'ground crew' menu re parking.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #109
donkeyrider

A video would be very helpful. I must admit to struggling with the air / ground communications as well. Having said that the missions are excellent and I hope to complete them all eventually (need to learn to A2A refuel first).

Thank you for the good work.
donkeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #110
Gryzor

Quote:
Thanks. I'm sure it is simple, but I'm still confused!
So, I did the NTTR formation flying again, landed at Nellis, crossed 21 R waited for some instruction to go to F135 parking, it didn't arrive, so I just went there anyway, but no, nothing. Score 0 as always! I don't ever see/hear your step #5 in previous post. How do I contact Nellis ground? There is nothing on the standard 'ground crew' menu re parking.
It happens the same. I Received the message when cross 12L "mission complete!", after following the humwee, but the final score was 0%.
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote