PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

Probably a bit early to ask you this Miles, but will you consider making a Valve Index mount for Point control?

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

I'm brand new to VR. Just got a Rift S last week. I'm very interested in a set of these. Please add me to the list. Thanks.

You have been added to the list link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3862014&postcount=690

Also if you haven't, please read MilesD post link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3860382&postcount=660.

Cost. Link below

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3813688&postcount=468

Cheers.

I have been following this for awhile, finally ready to take the plunge. Please ad me to the list.

You have been added to the list link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3862014&postcount=690

Also if you haven't, please read MilesD post link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3860382&postcount=660.

Cost. Link below

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3813688&postcount=468

Cheers.

@hansangb & mariner (don't want to waste Miles' time :smilewink:)

I might have missed it in one of your previous review posts, but how's turning knobs feel with pointctrl?

Can you really point your hand at a knob, press an fcu button and turn (rotate) your hand, or do you need to click a knob and then move your hand up or down (like you need to with a mouse)?

Thanks for your enthousiastic feedback :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

@hansangb & mariner (don't want to waste Miles' time :smilewink:)

I might have missed it in one of your previous review posts, but how's turning knobs feel with pointctrl?

Can you really point your hand at a knob, press an fcu button and turn (rotate) your hand, or do you need to click a knob and then move your hand up or down (like you need to with a mouse)?

Thanks for your enthousiastic feedback :thumbup:

I know you were joking about wasting my time ,and I know I have said this before, but I truly appreciate everyone's participation in this project. I especially like to see questions to, and answers from the few testers, which will be increasing this week.

I also appreciate the civility and mutual respect shown to each other in this thread. As we know, it's not always the case in all threads when there are delays and other issues similar to what we have experienced with PointCTRL.

That being said, I will field this question because I also have an ask.

Sirrah, you are correct, PointCTRL only simulates the mouse. The perception of rotating a knob is not consistent and dependent on how you rotate your hand, but we can get there.

The reason PointCTRL appears to rotate the knobs is because when the hand is rotated a certain way the IRLED moves in a circular sweep which includes up and down. If you rotate your hand from the wrist with your hand pointed slightly upward, this IRLED sweep radius is increased which also increases knob rotation and effectiveness.

Now how do we make it work better? I have previously used the LUA files for modding my throttle switches for 2 events on the single pole single throw switches. I never looked at mouse functions but if we can switch the knob rotations from the mouse Y axis to X axis the whole knob rotation thing with hand rotation will work very well.

I am trying not to get sidetracked, so the ask is, if anyone has the time to check out the LUA files for this it would be great.

I will add some pics of hand positions as soon as my phone charges.

Thanks,

Miles

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Thank you for your extended answer Miles. Current functioning sounds like a great way to do some minor knob rotation adjustments by rotating your hand and the larger inputs can be made by clicking and moving your hand up/down :thumbup:

As for improving it even further, unfortunately I can't be of any help to you with the LUA editing part, as I don't have any knowledge about that, but I'm certain some people here can.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I have two questions, sorry if they've been asked before.

1. I have a throttle mounted to the left armrest of my chair, with a button box directly in front of the throttle. If I want to reach into that area with PointCTRL, say to lower the launch bar on the hornet, I will be putting my hand directly through the throttle/button box. How does PointCTRL work around physical obstructions like this?

2. Do the FCUs get in the way when holding a HOTAS? I have an MCGPro, does the right index finger FCU catch on the folding trigger or similar?

Thanks.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

The idea and function of PC is to allow interaction with the VR cockpit in a realistic fashion. It essentially makes the button box unnecessary and it eliminates the need to bind controls. Continuing to use the button box for cockpit control binds is going to negate what PC brings to you.

In covered triggers, you will probably have some interference but that remains to be seen. Most HOTAS controls aren't effected by the FCU's.

Edit - if you have something in the way of the FCU as you reach to manipulate a control, obviously you will hit it. As Ive stated before, those of us with home Pits have to be a bit more careful in pointing in VR than those that dont. It is completely possible to touch a control without a full reach so you dont hit the physical Pit you have. You just dont reach that far out. I think you will be best served to move the button box.

Having said that, I havent had any issues hitting my Pit (pictured) in any aircraft that I have, to include props, jets, and helos.

20951.thumb.jpg.482beebdcd32007fd988eb3b24ced6db.jpg

Edited by mariner3302

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

I know you were joking about wasting my time ,and I know I have said this before, but I truly appreciate everyone's participation in this project. I especially like to see questions to, and answers from the few testers, which will be increasing this week.

I also appreciate the civility and mutual respect shown to each other in this thread. As we know, it's not always the case in all threads when there are delays and other issues similar to what we have experienced with PointCTRL.

That being said, I will field this question because I also have an ask.

Sirrah, you are correct, PointCTRL only simulates the mouse. The perception of rotating a knob is not consistent and dependent on how you rotate your hand, but we can get there.

The reason PointCTRL appears to rotate the knobs is because when the hand is rotated a certain way the IRLED moves in a circular sweep which includes up and down. If you rotate your hand from the wrist with your hand pointed slightly upward, this IRLED sweep radius is increased which also increases knob rotation and effectiveness.

Now how do we make it work better? I have previously used the LUA files for modding my throttle switches for 2 events on the single pole single throw switches. I never looked at mouse functions but if we can switch the knob rotations from the mouse Y axis to X axis the whole knob rotation thing with hand rotation will work very well.

I am trying not to get sidetracked, so the ask is, if anyone has the time to check out the LUA files for this it would be great.

I will add some pics of hand positions as soon as my phone charges.

Thanks,

Miles

Ah, makes perfect sense now. Unfortunately, work and life got in the way of creating the PointCTRL usage video.

Miles,

If you want me to go looking for some LUA mods, I'm happy to do it.

Hansang

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Any updates on which batches are shipping?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hey Mariner, loving your pit! Particularly interested in your pipework!!! biggrin.gif

I did copy some guys idea about mounting my stick on wider drain pipes that fit the circumference of the hog base, that works pretty well but I really like this idea with the offset bend bringing the stick closer. Was it difficult to put together?

Back on topic... The mention of hitting physical objects while using PCtrl reminded me that Miles mentioned early on some sort of physical screen "thingy" (stop me if I'm getting too technical...) that you could hit while touching the controls. Is that still something planned?

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Any updates on which batches are shipping?

Well, I think we are ready for "The List"

We talked about this before but just a reminder on how it will work. PointCTRL has been driven by this community, so if anyone has any better, or more fair ideas, please let me know.

I will start with groups of five and put up a "Now Serving" post with the start and end numbers. Since my son just stated the website last night if your group is called, if you could send me a PM through DCS with your email and then send an email from the same address to orders@pointctrl.com and specify which HMS mount you would like. No need for address or anything else. I will then send an invoice for payment. Each new "Now Serving" post will have reminders for Pricing, shipping, options, and a link to https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3862014&postcount=690 "The List"

Well its 0422 in the morning so I will post the first "Now Serving" after some sleep.

An additional note: I remember there was some discussion about this, so just give me a minute to put on my Benevolent Dictator hat. No one will lose their place in line if they miss their groups "Now Serving" post or don't have the funds to purchase immediately. However once a new group is called, they will have shipping priority by line #. After the current groups orders are shipped, all of the orders from those who missed their groups slot, will be shipped by order received. After all of those are shipped a new "Now Serving" group will be posted, and so on.

Benevolent Dictator hat off, Thank you for understanding,

See you soon for... I guess for the PointCTRL launch.

Miles

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hey Mariner, loving your pit! Particularly interested in your pipework!!!

I think the forum has rules about this type of content

"Not that there's anything wrong with that" Sienfeld 1993

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

We talked about this before but just a reminder on how it will work. PointCTRL has been driven by this community, so if anyone has any better, or more fair ideas, please let me know.

I will start with groups of five and put up a "Now Serving" post with the start and end numbers. Since my son just stated the website last night if your group is called, if you could send me a PM through DCS with your email and then send an email from the same address to orders@pointctrl.com and specify which HMS mount you would like. No need for address or anything else. I will then send an invoice for payment. Each new "Now Serving" post will have reminders for Pricing, shipping, options, and a link to https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3862014&postcount=690 "The List"

Well its 0422 in the morning so I will post the first "Now Serving" after some sleep.

An additional note: I remember there was some discussion about this, so just give me a minute to put on my Benevolent Dictator hat. No one will lose their place in line if they miss their groups "Now Serving" post or don't have the funds to purchase immediately. However once a new group is called, they will have shipping priority by line #. After the current groups orders are shipped, all of the orders from those who missed their groups slot, will be shipped by order received. After all of those are shipped a new "Now Serving" group will be posted, and so on.

Benevolent Dictator hat off, Thank you for understanding,

Miles

WOOT! Awesome news! Thanks Miles!:punk:

(Now get some sleep dude...)

Miles

Hi Miles, we can't thank you enough and look forward eagerly to becoming one with our various offices in DCS and reporting back on our experience to you and the community.

When you woke up on the morning of 26th October 2018 and declared "why not" I along with the community are glad nothing shiny distracted you, like a true warrior you kept your focus on the end game to the benefit of us all.

I know having read the feedback from yourself right from the beginning to Los, mariner3302 and hansangb the input, ideas and questions from the members Point CTRL will be a flight sim VR game changer.

I am sure you have been through many up's and downs through the various stages of development, one's the community know about and some we don't, so on behalf of the community thanks for sticking with it Miles also your wife and family for the support and input they have given you. You are all our heroes.

Good luck with the launch and sales, considering all you have done for the community you deserve every success and reward due.:thumbup:

Hi Miles, we can't thank you enough and look forward eagerly to becoming one with our various offices in DCS and reporting back on our experience to you and the community.

When you woke up on the morning of 26th October 2018 and declared "why not" I along with the community are glad nothing shiny distracted you, like a true warrior you kept your focus on the end game to the benefit of us all.

I know having read the feedback from yourself right from the beginning to Los, mariner3302 and hansangb the input, ideas and questions from the members Point CTRL will be a flight sim VR game changer.

I am sure you have been through many up's and downs through the various stages of development, one's the community know about and some we don't, so on behalf of the community thanks for sticking with it Miles also your wife and family for the support and input they have given you. You are all our heroes.

Good luck with the launch and sales, considering all you have done for the community you deserve every success and reward due.:thumbup:

..... now my headbanging emoticon feels really cheap....

Nicely said sir.

Hi Miles / FireCat.

I would like to be added to the list if possible. Good luck with the launch, It sounds like you've done a great deal of development work to get to this point, I'm sure it will pay off.

Hey Mariner, loving your pit! Particularly interested in your pipework!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks, ..... I think? lol There is a great Pit discussion here - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=167971

the benevolent Dictator hath spoken! lmao

We in the Testing and Evaluation Section are working on the Zoom feature instructionals and video's right now. Very cool stuff!

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

What is the latest. I just cant read the whole thread but did get through half of it.

Wish to be on the list.

Is there a link to a central location for all the pertinent info?

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10