Defeating Tomcats (In Hornet) - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #11
Shein

Yes, it definitely is playing the Tomcat's game but my friend and I are determined to do it.

here's the mission if anyone can do it (works in 1 Vs 2 single player if you're REALLY suicidal)

If anyone can beat this, post a track? or video? or TacView? Anything?
Attached Files
File Type: miz KobyashiMaru.miz (9.6 KB, 11 views)
Shein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Cake

Great mission name! Waiting for Jim to respond...
Old 02-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #13
Shein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
Great mission name! Waiting for Jim to respond...
glad someone caught the reference
Shein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #14
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofEil View Post
Something I’ve been curious about, are the low poly AI 14’s and magical Phoenix being replaced by HB’s 14’s and Phoenix when they release?
Yes, but not immediately. The F-14B is releasing first. The AI in game is the F-14A, so whenever HB come out with their version of the F-14A it will replace the old AI one. Suppose it is possible for ED the modify the F-14A so that it uses the HB Phoenix, but I think they will just wait for the F-14A to be released.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #15
earnil

Since it's called KobyashiMaru, I couldn't resist just to try it. It's doable, but haaaaard. Couple of things:
- your original loadout was bit too excessive on 120s. F18 handles like a brick if you put anything at all on those wing pylons. Take 2x 120 and 2x 9x, that's enough - and you can actually turn.
- In the end I had to change CM loadout to 5 flares for terminal engagement and 115 chaff. With standard 60 / 30, ... I don't think it's possible to beat it.

Tactics is pretty simple - stay in the notch, let them come to you and when they are close, about 10nm, after you beat that last 54, turn in and shoot them.
You need to save your chaff for the close ranges so try to defeat the first two salvos with maneuver and once under 20nm always keep chaffing and notching until you see the missile pass, they tend to relock after you leave the notch or stop chaffing.

Not sure what the AI does in 2v2 though and honestly I don't have that much experience in it, but you can try to split them and play it as 2 separate engagements and if they follow just one of you, the other one can flank them and shoot them.

Tacview attached.

Uf, good challenge though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tacview-DCS-KobyashiMaru.zip (367.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by earnil; 02-13-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: adding attachement
earnil is offline   Reply With Quote