DCS Mustang Developer Notes - Page 21 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #201
jcomm

Reputation power: 19
jcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaspeR32 View Post
You know how you're supposed to raise the throttle 1 inch before you start? Don't do that. Keep it at idle and start the P-51D. It starts and idles fine. No stalls, no stuttering engine, etc. That's all I mean.

It was discussed earlier and the possibility was thrown out there that they *might* return to the PFM to tweak starting behavior of engines (low-RPM). It's not something that would be required by any means to enjoy the aircraft, but I always thought it'd be cool to FEEL the merlin engine starting up a bit less... perfectly.

This is something that A2A's p51d, and all of their props, model very plausibly. Would really like to see it implemented that way in DCS...
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #202
T}{OR

Reputation power: 8
T}{OR is a jewel in the roughT}{OR is a jewel in the roughT}{OR is a jewel in the roughT}{OR is a jewel in the roughT}{OR is a jewel in the roughT}{OR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
This is something that A2A's p51d, and all of their props, model very plausibly. Would really like to see it implemented that way in DCS...
Seconded.
DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature
T}{OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #203
Captain Orso

Reputation power: 6
Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

I think it would also be nice eye-candy if when the starter is activated the propeller turns at a far slower, more realistic rate. Currently it spins at about 400 RPM--it's really hard to tell without doing a slow-motion count.

Leave the fuel booster and magnetos off and just activate the starter to demonstrate this.

I've seen a number of videos where start up procedures in the RW are demonstrated. They mention that you're supposed to turn the prop 6 blades--one actually counted them in the video--with magnetos and fuel booster off, and the prop is turning really slowly, like about 15-20 RPM. This is to get oil distributed on the barrings in the engine before the initial ignition.

After 6 blades, without pausing turning the engine with the starter, mags and booster are turned on and you start priming--one guy said, you've got all your fingers busy during startup --and after a couple more blades pass you get your first ignition and then the prop starts to take-off.
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #204
BSS_Sniper

Reputation power: 6
BSS_Sniper will become famous soon enoughBSS_Sniper will become famous soon enoughBSS_Sniper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
I think it would also be nice eye-candy if when the starter is activated the propeller turns at a far slower, more realistic rate. Currently it spins at about 400 RPM--it's really hard to tell without doing a slow-motion count.

Leave the fuel booster and magnetos off and just activate the starter to demonstrate this.

I've seen a number of videos where start up procedures in the RW are demonstrated. They mention that you're supposed to turn the prop 6 blades--one actually counted them in the video--with magnetos and fuel booster off, and the prop is turning really slowly, like about 15-20 RPM. This is to get oil distributed on the barrings in the engine before the initial ignition.

After 6 blades, without pausing turning the engine with the starter, mags and booster are turned on and you start priming--one guy said, you've got all your fingers busy during startup --and after a couple more blades pass you get your first ignition and then the prop starts to take-off.
That is a normal procedure fir a radial engine. I've never seen or heard of that with an inline fuel injected engine. That is interesting but I wonder if it's correct.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #205
Ala13_ManOWar

Reputation power: 13
Ala13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
It is exactly to be sure of the lower cylinder being empty of oil, as gravity accumulates it in the lower one after stopping. You can break the cranks if you try to fire the engine and lower cylinders are plenty of non compressible oil... If you can't move prop at all you have to remove lower spark plugs and empty cylinders by hand. Nothing to do with inline engines.

S!
Old 10-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #206
MiloMorai+
Posting Rights Revoked

Reputation power: 0
MiloMorai is on a distinguished road

Orso said the engine was turned over with the starter not hand pulled thru.
MiloMorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #207
Ala13_ManOWar

Reputation power: 13
Ala13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloMorai View Post
Orso said the engine was turned over with the starter not hand pulled thru.
Still related to radial engines feature I explained . Radials have a complicated lubrication.

S!
Old 10-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #208
sobek
Veteran

Reputation power: 186
sobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS_Sniper View Post
That is a normal procedure fir a radial engine. I've never seen or heard of that with an inline fuel injected engine. That is interesting but I wonder if it's correct.
It is for merlins. These engines feature 1940s metallurgy, every start up is one nail to the coffin of such an engine. It goes so far that some operators have installed after market pre oiling pumps to their engines to pressurize the oil system for a few minutes before engine start up after a prolonged downtime. This can be seen in the video of Kermit Weeks operating his P-51.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #209
Vitesse2l

Reputation power: 10
Vitesse2l has a spectacular aura aboutVitesse2l has a spectacular aura aboutVitesse2l has a spectacular aura aboutVitesse2l has a spectacular aura aboutVitesse2l has a spectacular aura about

I'll go with Sobek. My experience is with old car engines, but the greatest wear happens during starting and while the engine is cold.
Vitesse2l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #210
adrianstealth

Reputation power: 3
adrianstealth has a spectacular aura aboutadrianstealth has a spectacular aura aboutadrianstealth has a spectacular aura aboutadrianstealth has a spectacular aura about

How do I stop destroying the the engine ?

( I'm new to this )
adrianstealth is offline   Reply With Quote