Feature Request: Realistic Mustang Start-up Dynamics - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #21
Magic Zach

Reputation power: 1
Magic Zach will become famous soon enoughMagic Zach will become famous soon enough

You are supposed to warm up the engine to a certain temperature after a cold start. That temperature, I can't remember exactly. I warm my oil temp to 40C, and I roll...should probably open up a pdf of a manual some time...

Edit: I'm surprised that Sithspawn or Skatezilla haven't blown into this thread yet.

Last edited by Magic Zach; 08-27-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #22
Magic Zach

Magic Zach will become famous soon enoughMagic Zach will become famous soon enough

I have something to add to the list. Please see the third video in the original post.
•While starting, the engine may change directions and rotate counter-clockwise for 1/4 or 1/8 of a rotation, before continuing clockwise.
This should happen in accordance with what causes this. If anyone knows, please speak up, and links would give you a gold star sticker.

Some Spits. This one was smooth and quick:
https://youtu.be/xR52Wj9iz30
Also smooth:
https://youtu.be/p3jShHFEZXk
The flames in DCS are more realistic than I thought. Guess this guy overprimed:
https://youtu.be/n5V8uToqf4M
Skip to 2:40:
https://youtu.be/pRvVPP6AgDo
Training Spitfire, I think. And I don't know what a recalcitrant start-up is, but still worth looking at:
https://youtu.be/EWZj9F_9BTA
Yet another smooth one:
https://youtu.be/vCW-DMNcZeg

I've noticed that most of the rough start-ups in the Spitfire Mk IX have flames, and I assume from over-priming. In DCS, I give it 5 pumps, and I get flames. Obviously, I don't know how many these guys did, and the weather is different, so my view on this over-priming may be skewed. I have a bad habit of only looking at the manuals by ED, not the ones from the '40s.

Last edited by Magic Zach; 08-30-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #23
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Reputation power: 333
Yo-Yo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
Not all AC have this, but the BST choppers at least do.
AS far as I remember, it was started from Ka-50... Ahh, Mi-8 has the same engnes
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #24
=Mac=

Reputation power: 6
=Mac= has a spectacular aura about=Mac= has a spectacular aura about=Mac= has a spectacular aura about=Mac= has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
Awesome! Does he play DCS?
I am simply saying that starting the Mustang in DCS is different than in real life. A real one coughs. It puffs. It slowly starts to catch, instead of split-second like in DCS. And the engine will sometimes go silent for a small moment, and then continue.
All this we don't have in the DCS: P-51D Mustang. It would be an awesome effect to have a puff of blue smoke when cylinders start firing.
Real: "Put...put put...put...put, put, put put put putputputput*catches*"
DCS: "Whirwhir(starter)whirwhirwhir *catches*"
Don't criticise me for writing engine sounds That was what I mean by "It slowly starts to catch".
I am CERTAINLY not criticising your engine sounds via keyboard! To be sure, this is why I post this. Your description is exactly what I have seen the Merlins do. Jay Leno has a trailer mounted Merlin with a beautiful shiny prop. I watched him on YT struggle with a start. Awesome video, too.

For the sake of reality in a study sim, the startups as you described would be one helluva finishing touch to the DCS Pony.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 AM   #25
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Mac= View Post
For the sake of reality in a study sim, the startups as you described would be one helluva finishing touch to the DCS Pony.
Exactly the reason I'm bringing this up.

Ey! Yo-Yo! The reptilian has slithered his way in!
Anyways, Yo-Yo, got anything to contribute to this thread? Should this be moved to the wishlist section? I've added "Feature Request" into the title. Got videos, agreements, disagreements? I realize that while the Spit is still in...some sort of stage of progress, the Mustang has been around a lot now. However(my favorite word), I think that this damage model coming up will be a big step for the DCS: WWII community, and in addition to that, some things should be added, fixed, or changed, other than the damage models.
If this is added, it will be a thrill for the DCS: WWII community for not JUST the Mustang to get realistic start-up dynamics, but ALL of the WWII aircraft. The 109, 190, Spitfire LF Mk. IXc, and there is no better time to have a feature (or features) like this while the P-47D-30 is still in ED's shop, still getting pieced together.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #26
Solty

Reputation power: 8
Solty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the rough

OK. You wanted it, I will show it.
Here is an old Fw190D9 beeing started. At the end there are old P-51's beeing started. Skip to 6:37 to see the Mustangs turn their engines on. Notice the second Mustang.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Last edited by Solty; 08-29-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:11 AM   #27
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solty View Post
OK. You wanted it, I will show it.
Here is an old Fw190D9 beeing started. At the end there are old P-51's beeing started. Skip to 6:37 to see the Mustangs turn their engines on. Notice the second Mustang.
Okay? Noticed? I don't recall asking for a 190 start video, but thanks for your contribution! I'll put up videos of other FW190D9s and some BF109K4s starting that I can find.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:29 AM   #28
Solty

Reputation power: 8
Solty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
Okay? Noticed? I don't recall asking for a 190 start video, but thanks for your contribution! I'll put up videos of other FW190D9s and some BF109K4s starting that I can find.
Ehhhhhhh. Can you read? At the end you have 2xP-51D turning their engines on. It takes them a second and with no hiccups.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Last edited by Solty; 08-30-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #29
BuzzU

Reputation power: 16
BuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura about

We have no idea if the Mustangs were warmed up. Also, the air temp has a lot to do with how quick it smooths out. I know my buddies Mustang sputters and coughs when it stone cold.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:51 AM   #30
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solty View Post
Ehhhhhhh. Can you read? At the end you have 2xP-51D turning their engines. It takes them a second and with no hiccups.
That's a stupid question. Obviously I can read, as otherwise I would not be here. Watch your salt.
The first Mustang did take a moment to turn over. The second was smooth. As I said in the original post, not all startups are rough, and that should be represented in DCS as well. This suggests that engine condition should vary from aircraft to aircraft. I'm actually starting to agree with the slider option for the engine's condition.