Request regarding main compass

Would it be possible for the devs to provide a 'main compass view' key function?

The aim being to give a clear zoomed in view of the main compass so that it can be used to navigate, set and read to be able to set the gyro compass from it. At the moment it is hardly possible to safely use the main compass whilst in flight as per the real life design function.

Sorry if I am missing something, but proper navigation in the Spitfire would appear to be nigh impossible at the moment.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

By modify a snap view and you have fast and practical access. Although a toggle view will be more practical in flight.

P_8_Compass.jpg

This view allow set "Red on red" calibrate DG and set altimeter.

But normally you don't use the compass to navigate - unless learn read their scale inverted.

Use for calibrate DI (DG).

Thanks for posting :))

I am using TIR so not using snap views. Are snap views possible with TIR? I hope it is not anything ultra complicated to set up; as a customer, I don't want to be going in and changing files on the c drive. It would be much better to have the compass view catered for as a toggle as it is in rather a difficult positon for a PC pilot to access in flight.

No idea how you have achieved this view to be flashed up for use whilst in flight, how is this possible?

So, looks like you are heading 220, correct?

Thanks again.

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

It looks to me like the heading is 229.

The problem with looking at the compass is that you can only lean in as far as the back-edge of the gunsight, where you are blocked by the limits of the extent of to where you can position your POV.

The compass in general confuses me, because the only thing you can use to read your magnetic heading is the dark bar/wire inside the bowl of the compass, which is certainly not easy to read during daylight hours, but at dusk and beyond will be impossible.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

This view is the default Snap View in LWin+Numpad5 (think that originally look front), I modify then with keys RShift+RCtrl+Numpad# and save the new position with RAlt+0.

If TrackIR conflict with Snap Views, the only way to use this is momentarily pause TrackIR. Perhaps with joy soft can assign both in on button, pause TrackIR and look at compass.

In the picture the magnetic heading is ~228/229º.

But the compass don't show this until you turn the Course Setter disk and alight N with the needle +, why the compass is not practical for navigate.

This compass has the Lubber Line modeled wrong.

In P-8 the Lubber Line is not this vertical pin internal to bowl used actually, but this phosphorescent bar under N,

, what will make more easy read the magnetic heading.

You use compass only for 2 things:

Eventually read the actual heading, by align "Red on Red" and use this value to recalibrate DG. This requite a straight and leveled flight.

Or set a give course using the Course Setter, then follow this course keeping the needle + pointed to N. Too suitable only for calm cruise flight.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks Sokol, that's how I thought it ought to work :thumbup:

Now if we can get the devs to make this simple fix :huh:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I can't imagine they fought against Kraut and found their way back to the homebase.

I am complete unable to just read simple heading from that thing (even from a still close up).

Glamour Boys. :thumbup:

Edited by Tekkx

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Tekk

Is easy, just mirror the things, leave the N fixed at 12:00 o'clock (like in spawn), then your actual heading is the opposite for where the needle + point.

advanced_nav07.jpg

Or do math, subtract the indicate value from 360. 360 - 50 = 310

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

I am using TIR so not using snap views. Are snap views possible with TIR? I hope it is not anything ultra complicated to set up; as a customer, I don't want to be going in and changing files on the c drive. It would be much better to have the compass view catered for as a toggle as it is in rather a difficult positon for a PC pilot to access in flight.

No idea how you have achieved this view to be flashed up for use whilst in flight, how is this possible?

Thanks again.

56RAF_Talisman

If you can find a new one:

Get yourself a Logitech G510 keyboard with its 3 modes of 18 each mode programmable G-keys.

That's what I use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is here some place for a dream?

What about Export to a separate monitor? I ("some" others maybe also) have plenty of them here for the A-10C.

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Is here some place for a dream?

What about Export to a separate monitor? I ("some" others maybe also) have plenty of them here for the A-10C.

Great idea. There is one such for CloD called Virtual Cockpit. It's just the sort of thing we need for the DCS Spit.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

We are forgetting one thing, the main reason in use P-8 Compass is for calibrate DG (DI) and secondarily set a course, so the big question is: DG(DI) became uncalibrated?

For what I test, after a series of rolls, looping, high G breaking, inverted flight, very little difference between DG and compass reading (in CloD the DG went crazy after the first maneuvers).

I conclude that don't worth worry with compass, just look at DG, clear visible middle of panel.

Great idea. There is one such for CloD called Virtual Cockpit. It's just the sort of thing we need for the DCS Spit.

Just ask this guy for include Mk. IX there:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mihaig.bf109

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 3 weeks later...

Nice discussion. Dam_ nice video! (Where and how did you find that?) See at 7:15 into this video for setting the compass and Directional Gyro.

==========================================================================================

-

-

Is Chuck's .pdf Guide WRONG ??

See Page 58 .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3RmVCamxfZDNaOVk/view

To check >>> see the supplied airports' guide in the kneeboard as to a runway's compass heading.

-

-

Have not tried to digest the supplied Spit 9's Flight Manual just yet.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are forgetting one thing, the main reason in use P-8 Compass is for calibrate DG (DI) and secondarily set a course, so the big question is: DG(DI) became uncalibrated?

For what I test, after a series of rolls, looping, high G breaking, inverted flight, very little difference between DG and compass reading (in CloD the DG went crazy after the first maneuvers).

I conclude that don't worth worry with compass, just look at DG, clear visible middle of panel.

Just ask this guy for include Mk. IX there:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mihaig.bf109

Interesting - my understanding is that the DG will go off settings when maneuvering hard and it requires checking the compass to reset the DG. It is possible that the DG is not working correctly at this time?

• 7 months later...
By modify a snap view and you have fast and practical access. Although a toggle view will be more practical in flight.

P_8_Compass.jpg

This view allow set "Red on red" calibrate DG and set altimeter.

But normally you don't use the compass to navigate - unless learn read their scale inverted.

Use for calibrate DI (DG).

My snap-view is almost the same as Sokol's.

If you need mapping coordinates, just ask.

I just remapped my setup from 1.5.7 to 2.1.1 by just inputting the same SnapViews.lua under Saved Games by inputting same manually using Notepad++ .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks again.

56RAF_Talisman

YES!

I map 2 keys on my CH Products Fighterstick :

One to Pause Track-IR and another one to re-center its position.

Then I mapped a joystick button for a glance view to my Pro Throttle using a Snap View.

Interesting thing is, in 2.1.1 is almost impossible to get that view. I took the Snap View coordinates from my 1.5.7 setup, then inputted it manually using Notepad++ . Then copied my SnapViews.lua and stashed it in my My Documents under my Spitfire saves for backup.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you can find a new one:

Get yourself a Logitech G510 keyboard with its 3 modes of 18 each mode programmable G-keys.

That's what I use.

Great keyboard that one. Use it myself.

The three sets of macros make it handy for switching between flight sims, and is perfect for all those radio commands.

Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Great keyboard that one. Use it myself.

The three sets of macros make it handy for switching between flight sims, and is perfect for all those radio commands.

Highly recommended.

In case anyone is in love with their keyboard but still wants highly customized binds, I *highly* recommend the Logitech G13. Hell, I'd recommend it to any gamer of any genre. Hell, any PC user. It's really top notch especially at that price point. Pretty handy for every single DCS module.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

I am using TIR so not using snap views. Are snap views possible with TIR?

56RAF_Talisman

Solution for TrackIR Users.

(Thanks to Sokol for inspiration.)

Snap views do work with a TrackIr set up.

You can set a snap view and assign it to a joystick or throttle button or single key as well as a macro, just make sure you can still hold the button down whilst adjusting the compass and holding the stick in level flight.

Step One: Press the button/key assigned to one of the snap views, say Snap View 1. Then release the button to return to TrackIr view.

Step Two: Try and get a clear view of the compass without moving the stick. This seems to work best by contorting yourself into a painful position, to the left side and above is easiest. Once in position zoom the view in until the compass is easy to read and press F9 to pause TrackIr. You may have to try this a few times, re-centre your view if you can't get a clear angle on the compass.

Step Three: Press RAlt and NUM 0 to save the view. Then unpause TrackIr.

Step Four: Book chiropractor to reset neck.

You should now have a custom snap view of the compass.

Cheers, Scream.

Edited by Screamadelica

• 4 weeks later...