Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

The decision was a technical / financial one, as Wags has stated it is the best option they had for the customer and ED.

If you run a separate server you will need to purchase any DLC your server account wishes to host.

With that said the topic here is " Normandy Map Discussion "

so lets try and get back on topic and discuss the up coming map, it will be great to be able to fly around with more users, the Normandy skies have been a little lonely for me so far :)

BIGNEWY

I hope you will see this as on topic as it is offered as part of a Normandy package.

Could you clarify one point? It is clear that the AI Asset pack has to be purchased even for servers, unlike all previous AI items which came free and could be inserted into missions at no extra cost.

Presumably for the clients on MP to see these assets in a MP mission they will have to purchase the assets too? Or will they be 'provided' in the scenario by the server?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

This have been answered before.

Yes, clients need the asset pack to be able to join the Server.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

BIGNEWY

I hope you will see this as on topic as it is offered as part of a Normandy package.

Could you clarify one point? It is clear that the AI Asset pack has to be purchased even for servers, unlike all previous AI items which came free and could be inserted into missions at no extra cost.

Presumably for the clients on MP to see these assets in a MP mission they will have to purchase the assets too? Or will they be 'provided' in the scenario by the server?

Think of the Asset pack as working exactly as one of the map DLCs. You want to host a mission with these units, you need the Asset pack. You want to join that server, you need that asset pack.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The decision was a technical / financial one, as Wags has stated it is the best option they had for the customer and ED.

If you run a separate server you will need to purchase any DLC your server account wishes to host.

With that said the topic here is " Normandy Map Discussion "

so lets try and get back on topic and discuss the up coming map, it will be great to be able to fly around with more users, the Normandy skies have been a little lonely for me so far :)

Right, the topic is and always has been the Normandy Map. The question which I still have, and would appreciate a definitive official answer to, is:

When the Dedicated server software that is on the ED roadmap is released, will I still require a second copy of the map and WWII asset pack to run a Normandy mission on the server?

Until Saturday, I was under the impression that we would not and that is why I have been not running an NTTR mission server yet. I would like to avoid wasting money purchasing the Normandy Map if I won't need it, the money can be better spent funding the TS server that doesn't get enough donations to keep open.

• ED Team

When the Dedicated server software that is on the ED roadmap is released, will I still require a second copy of the map and WWII asset pack to run a Normandy mission on the server?

Yes you will require a key to host on a dedicated server.

When ED have news on the progress of the dedicated server they will share it, but it is not the priority at the moment.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Think of the Asset pack as working exactly as one of the map DLCs. You want to host a mission with these units, you need the Asset pack. You want to join that server, you need that asset pack.

Thank you.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Watching Wags livestream, one thing that stood out, given that the map generally looks beautiful and I can't wait to get my hands on it, was the lack of 'life' down below. Harbours were empty of ships and traffic, so I wonder if there will be more AI activity going on or will we have to provide it ourselves in the mission editor?

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Watching Wags livestream, one thing that stood out, given that the map generally looks beautiful and I can't wait to get my hands on it, was the lack of 'life' down below. Harbours were empty of ships and traffic, so I wonder if there will be more AI activity going on or will we have to provide it ourselves in the mission editor?

They've said giving the map a "lived in" look is what they're working on now.

Ah, that's good to hear thanks, it will enhance all the work that has gone into the map such a lot. Now all we need is a Piper L4 Grasshopper module for some low and slow.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Yes you will require a key to host on a dedicated server.

When ED have news on the progress of the dedicated server they will share it, but it is not the priority at the moment.

This is unspecific. You need to say;

You will need to purchase a "DEDICATED" license key to run a DEDICATED server. If you wish to join as a CLIENT from your primary game machine you will need an additional key to do so.
Otherwise its still an unknown because based on what Wags stated. Its not clear.

Its perfectly clear from his statement that a key will be needed no "matter what" to host assets and maps. I do remember seeing a question along the lines of "can I serve the map without owning it?" Which WAGS question Answers. I don't think people looking for clarification are worried about that. Its more along the lines of hey do I need TWO licenses to do a dedicated SERVER and play with my game machine (CLIENT) on said server?

This had a direct impact on me and a friend because we now don't allow other players on our map on NTTR because we can't dedicate a server which we do have available. The reason being performance issues on the serving CLIENT.

Neither of us are going to bother to buy another license to serve up missions on the weekend. Ever. Its a bother for us, and I can truly see why others are concerned by this and want a specific answer.

Edited by aileron

You know what is funny, even a novice noticed it as well. On Sat night me and my girl watched the GGG fight on the projector(11ft screen size) and after I checked out the Non-live live stream replay and while watching it my girl said, "where's the life? Aren't there birds and sheep/animals and people anywhere?"

I just shook my head no with a grimace. :(

She said "oh, that's too bad"

I did point out that I am sure most live stock was long dead or eaten or similar. War time after all.

She did say the 17 was pretty and liked it's glass nose. :smilewink:

Edited by Torso

I guess it's a bit of the uncanny valley effect, so that the more realistic a computer simulation becomes, the more you start to notice the tiny nuances and differences. There would definitely be activity down below in those ports and harbours just after D-Day though, even if it was just a random selection of civilian craft so as not to spoil the 'WWII sandbox' idea. I hope we can place water craft in those harbours in the mission editor though, it can sometimes be a bit sniffy about what can go where, and if we can only put ships out in open sea then it might lose a bit of atmosphere.

What date is the Normandy Map nominally representing?

No exact date. Its 1944 nominal after D-Day but this map has also 3 seasons. So its a bit more flexible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Regarding the airfields present on the map they said they were aiming for late summer '44.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

No exact date. Its 1944 nominal after D-Day but this map has also 3 seasons. So its a bit more flexible.

Why is there no winter season? No time to do the snow textures? Waggs sort of touched on it in the stream, he said that the winter season would be very similar to the autumn season.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• ED Team

winter season does not have to necessarily mean snow anyway, I have not seen a snow covering for years here in the UK

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I would imagine they would leave it more up to the mission builder, depending on what you wanted to see in you specific mission or campaign, I hope to see additional assets added to the pack to add that kind of life, civilian and what not.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I was chatting with a guy from Brittany a week or two back on another forum about a similar matter, he was saying it hadn't snowed there in the last 30 years he could remember, so he was complaining about snow being depicted on a game map based in Brittany, so maybe Normandy is a similar sort of climate being next door. I'm sure it does snow in Normandy, but if it hardly ever happens, you can see how much more time it would take to do the art for that.