Unable to land the Spitfire; any tips? - Page 10 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #91
HotTom

Reputation power: 7
HotTom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzZoo View Post
I seriously don't think you need to adjust any default spring settings or anything to consistently land the spit. Just practice a couple of hundred times and it will be second nature.

After a couple of months of rep after rep I can now do sexy 3 pointers just about every time. At worst I get a slight bounce. Controlling once you're down is just a matter of dancing lightly on the pedals as has been said many times.

I was as frustrated as anyone in my first few weeks. Do 200 hundred landings (it's easy to shift R over and over) and I would bet my life all your problems will have gone away.
Buzz, I've done well more than 500 landings in the Spit and I was still having the odd ass-over-teacup landing. Maybe me, maybe my stick (Logitech G940), maybe my pedals (Saitek) but was getting surprised on landings I thought were fine.

With the springs adjusted, I now grease every landing. I was doing fine on grass runways in Normandy but having problems on the concrete runway in Nevada. It makes sense to me that the spring weren't soft enough.

I'm just suggesting it. Copy and save the original and you can always put it back to default.

Last edited by HotTom; 10-18-2017 at 10:26 PM.
HotTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:45 AM   #92
BuzZoo

Reputation power: 0
BuzZoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTom View Post
Buzz, I've done well more than 500 landings in the Spit and I was still having the odd ass-over-teacup landing. Maybe me, maybe my stick (Logitech G940), maybe my pedals (Saitek) but was getting surprised on landings I thought were fine.

With the springs adjusted, I now grease every landing. I was doing fine on grass runways in Normandy but having problems on the concrete runway in Nevada. It makes sense to me that the spring weren't soft enough.

I'm just suggesting it. Copy and save the original and you can always put it back to default.
Fair enough. Totally reasonable and it's a good option to have no doubt.
BuzZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #93
wavn

Reputation power: 4
wavn will become famous soon enoughwavn will become famous soon enough

I now manage with 2% rudder assist and the brake assistance at landing and everything functions fine;
in the coming time trying to manage without assist completely and without the brake assistance: only using short "brake bursts"