Difference between VMFA and VMFA(AW)...

Donut

You're correct, all Hornets are able to operate in poor weather or at night, but the D model's in VMFA(AW) squadrons have some changes to aid when flying in such conditions. From what I've read, the all weather D Hornets use the AN/AAR-50 Thermal Imaging Navigation Set (TINS), which is like a wide angle FLIR for low level flight in poor visibility. They also carry the AN/AAS-38 Nite Hawk FLIR targeting pod, which has been upgraded over the years and seems pretty similar to the ATFLIR, as well as the addition of a raster HUD, color MFD, and internal lighting optimized for night vision goggles. There are also a limited number of F/A-18D's serving in AW squadrons that have been converted to the F/A-18D (RC) reconnaissance variant which replaces the cannon with electro-optical sensors. The sources I found for info on the usage of the different pods seemed a bit outdated, so I imagine nowadays they fly with the standard ATFLIR, but I'm not sure on that.

Most (if not all) VMFA(aw) Squadrons used to be A-6 intruder equipped VMA(aw) Squdrons. Case in point,Two of my old squadrons, VMA(aw)242 "Bats" and VMA(aw)121 "Green Knights" both transitioned into F-18D's shortly after I got out .

VMFA (aw) 121 has now transitioned into F-35's.Not sure what thier proper designation is now.

Edit: Went and looked it up, VMFA(aw)121 is now Just VMFA-121.

Edited by Lobo LXII
Added Information

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe, VMFA(AW)-224 actually has a C model Hornet.

Fairly certain they are a Delta Squadron

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

the are but it is not uncommon for the delta squadrons to get C models from time to time when there is a shortage of D's. also i remember once that VMFA(AW)-332 and VMFA-212 formed a composit squandron for a WestPac and were unofficially call the MoonLancers. I've got a picture of there patch somewhere on my PC.

.... marine all weather has less to do with the aircraft and more to do with the multiple crew to help mitigate the human condition.

AWs are intended to be all deltas. If they had charlies, it was a fluke. No idea how it is now however.

Only changes between the air frames was deltas had ATARS birds. Just a camera in the nose instead of a gun. And this was on only a couple of planes (literally 2).

The corps had a very hard time keeping aircraft flying back in the lancer/moonlighter days.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg