HARM Changing Targets?

Hugo23

Anyone launching HARMs only to see them vector off in a different direction? Launched 2 last night on the same target and one veered off and followed a Su-27 for a white until he turned off his radar while the other one hit the target. Same thing happened shortly after where I launched 2 on a hawk site...one tracked...one decided to track a nearby ship and both found their independent targets.

I'm very amused by the Su-27 track :D It's fine, but I imagine the system would automatically place it at the lowest possible priority since it's an incredibly low PK shot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

At this point we are able to fire HARMs only in Self Protect mode. For me it means that we can't really control them, even tho we can cycle through different radiation sources.

Also, I know HARMs from the F-16, so it's a different story, as the deployment of the HARM is totally different due to HTS (HARM Targeting System).

So basically, the Hornet is able to fire HARMs, but F-16 in this case is superior and will be better in SEAD missions once it's released.

P.S.

The HTS (HARM Targeting System) pod provides pilots to employ the AGM-88 HARM missile in its most effective mode. It can autonomously detect, identify and locate radar guided threats at long ranges. It displays the target location to the pilot for HARM designation and firing. The HTS is fully reprogrammable and has been designed for high reliability/maintainability. Originally designed for integration on the F-16C/D Block 50D, the HTS could be integrate on any MIL-STD-1553 compatible aircraft. The HTS allows multiple target track and greater target specificity. Currently, HTS pods have been improved in key areas such as search speed, memory size, target identification and handling capabilities.

Source: http://www.deagel.com/Protection-Systems/ANASQ-213-HTS_a001632001.aspx

Anyone launching HARMs only to see them vector off in a different direction? Launched 2 last night on the same target and one veered off and followed a Su-27 for a white until he turned off his radar while the other one hit the target. Same thing happened shortly after where I launched 2 on a hawk site...one tracked...one decided to track a nearby ship and both found their independent targets.

Reminds me of: http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/10314/the-time-a-f-4g-wild-weasels-anti-radiation-missile-blew-apart-a-b-52s-tail :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The hornet has it's own version of the HTS Slider it's called the TAS and is contained wholly in the pylon that carries the HARM itself, it can supply the same information as the 16's HTS with the same general limits with a whole 10kg increase to the pylon weight. (edit correct arconyms)

On the HARM chasing the wrong Radar.. I've seen it do it when the station I shot at went silent.. the harm was like oh there is another radar over here I'll go chase... which given we only have SP mode and that is Bearing and hope the missile wants to chase the right source.. is understandable... plus the real birds will switch and swap if a radiating source goes 'dead'.

Edited by robgraham

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

Since I was shooting at a target overlapping another I didn't realize it does automatically cycle targets. But It sure enough did veer off after a Su-27. I know because it was a friendly I was on comms with and was looking at the map. I told him to turn off his radar because he was oblivious. It would have come close to hitting him if I didn't tell him to turn off his radar. The missile died not far from him but failed to track after going nose cold. I also saw that B-52 / HARM incident and it was scary similar.

Since I was shooting at a target overlapping another I didn't realize it does automatically cycle targets. But It sure enough did veer off after a Su-27. I know because it was a friendly I was on comms with and was looking at the map. I told him to turn off his radar because he was oblivious. It would have come close to hitting him if I didn't tell him to turn off his radar. The missile died not far from him but failed to track after going nose cold. I also saw that B-52 / HARM incident and it was scary similar.

Yowza! going after Jet. that'll stain tidy white-ies of any pilot's backside. "Flight, you may want to check your six. You've got a stray HARM coming your way...." "and oh, sorry about that...." :music_whistling:

I had the HARM do this once on me as well. Rather, charge after another ground target. At first I was like, what the heck... but after reading the explanations, makes sense as to what was going on.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The hornet has it's own version of the HTS Slider it's called the TAS and is contained wholly in the pylon that carries the HARM itself, it can supply the same information as the 16's HTS with the same general limits with a whole 10kg increase to the pylon weight. (edit correct arconyms)

Has the TAS actually been fielded? I know it has been worked on in the 90s, but I can't find any more recent information about it and nowhere it says that it has been put into service. All I can find is information about its development in the early 90s. It almost looks like the project got canceled before it was completed. :huh:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Has the TAS actually been fielded? I know it has been worked on in the 90s, but I can't find any more recent information about it and nowhere it says that it has been put into service. All I can find is information about it's development in the early 90s. It almost looks like the project got canceled before it was completed. :huh:

I'm sure having read the project was cancelled altogether, despite the successful tests. Unfortunately I have no reference at hand.

New missile to track and engage airborne targets ????????????

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

We now have an extra A2A missile! ������

You mean besides the Sidewinder, the Sparrow, the AMRAAM and the Maverick? ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

You mean besides the Sidewinder, the Sparrow, the AMRAAM and the Maverick? ;)

Precisely!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I can’t get the Harm to launch against any airborn targets, including enemy awacs and Su-27 that’s locking me up. It won’t box the rwr item on the hud and won’t launch. It must have been an unusual mid-flight situation , like the original target being destroyed for it to go after an aircraft.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

On the HARM chasing the wrong Radar.. I've seen it do it when the station I shot at went silent.. the harm was like oh there is another radar over here I'll go chase... which given we only have SP mode and that is Bearing and hope the missile wants to chase the right source.. is understandable... plus the real birds will switch and swap if a radiating source goes 'dead'.

Real HARMs may switch to another source (unintentionally) if that emitter has similar characteristics to the radar that was initially targeted and is in the missiles FoV. The only other way I'm aware of that this can happen, is with flex logic and that is intentional.

It must have been an unusual mid-flight situation , like the original target being destroyed for it to go after an aircraft.

• The radar signature of a B-52 tail gun was misidentified by a F-4G Wild Weasel as Iraqi AAA.

• A AGM-88 HARM was launched against the non-existent AAA and the missile tracked the B-52.

• As the missile expected to hit a static target, it exploded behind the B-52, causing significant damage to the tail section.

• The B-52 landed safely.

The HARM didn't change target, rather it was locked onto a misidentified radar.

https://bentcorner.com/in-harms-way/

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• The radar signature of a B-52 tail gun was misidentified by a F-4G Wild Weasel as Iraqi AAA.

• A AGM-88 HARM was launched against the non-existent AAA and the missile tracked the B-52.

• As the missile expected to hit a static target, it exploded behind the B-52, causing significant damage to the tail section.

• The B-52 landed safely.

The HARM didn't change target, rather it was locked onto a misidentified radar.

https://bentcorner.com/in-harms-way/

I'm not talking about IRL. I know these incidents happened in real life. I'm talking about what happens IN SIM, in reply to the OPs comment about it tracking a Su27 and other people suggesting it could be used intentionally as an A2A missile.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.