SAM shootdowns of HARM missiles

Shack

Which SAMS have the ability to shoot down a HARM missile? This was touched on in WAGS’ HARM video.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SA-15 Tor, SA-10 Grumble, Patriot.

Maybe there are more though.

According to youtube video (upload by RT) modern Tor can also shoot a bom, actually anything that flies. Don't know if its true or just a sale promotion.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

if you cannot wait till release you can check that with AI hornets (not lot 20) which can be equiped with and use the harm already

Or by firing Mavericks at them ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In fact, the success rate of attacking SAM with AGM88 missile alone is not high. Because SAM has too many ways to deal with it. The value of AGM88 is that once you launch an attack. SAM must turn its attention to the missile until it fails. At this point, you can use SLAM, SLAM-ER, JSOW to fight.

In fact, the success rate of attacking SAM with AGM88 missile alone is not high. Because SAM has too many ways to deal with it. The value of AGM88 is that once you launch an attack. SAM must turn its attention to the missile until it fails. At this point, you can use SLAM, SLAM-ER, JSOW to fight.

Well, the DCS SAM-AI has never heard of that tactic ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, the DCS SAM-AI has never heard of that tactic ;)

Yeah, without scripts too add some I into the AI, it's going to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

There are a few ways to get SAM to turn-off, turn-on, but it has to be done by the user.

Edited by Silvern

SA-15 Tor, SA-10 Grumble, Patriot.

Maybe there are more though.

SA-19 Grison // Tunguska Missiles and guns were created for countering HARMs and Cruise Missiles attacking the S-300 systems. Generally CIWS capable ship-borne variants of weapons: like Kashtan, the Sa-11 Buk system based on ships (Shtil-1) should be able to counter anti-ship missiles though I don't know if we have a Sovremenny floating around and whether or not it targets HARMS.

Either way it depends on whether or not ED flicks the 'CIWS counterable' switch, which I think they forgot for the AGM-65F?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3737733#post3737733

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

Hmmm...Wags said...next week! Not the coming Wednesday January 16th??

There is no update next week, so I would assume he made this video last week and said "next week" meaning this week.

:huh:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

SA-19 Grison // Tunguska Missiles and guns were created for countering HARMs and Cruise Missiles attacking the S-300 systems. Generally CIWS capable ship-borne variants of weapons: like Kashtan, the Sa-11 Buk system based on ships (Shtil-1) should be able to counter anti-ship missiles though I don't know if we have a Sovremenny floating around and whether or not it targets HARMS.

Either way it depends on whether or not ED flicks the 'CIWS counterable' switch, which I think they forgot for the AGM-65F?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3737733#post3737733

Tunguska does not seem to engage the AGM-88C in DCS at the moment.

This happens even if "Engage Air Weapons" is turned on.

Did you have any luck with getting them to fire?

Tunguska does not seem to engage the AGM-88C in DCS at the moment.

This happens even if "Engage Air Weapons" is turned on.

Did you have any luck with getting them to fire?

The only thing I've ever seen shoot down missiles in DCS is a Tor (SA-15).

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

wags posted that video on 00:03 am monday night...therefore i assume it was made last week. and next week of last week is....

Its this wed 16th. Wags responded to a thread on FB

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

The only thing I've ever seen shoot down missiles in DCS is a Tor (SA-15).

Depends on what are you shooting at them. A huge Kh-29 can be shot down even by OSA (SA-8), at least it was so in older versions when I saw it happening :P.

I've also seen Roland shoot down various missiles including the Mavericks and Kh-25 and Kh-58.

TOR and S-300 are pretty nasty and shoot down lots of missiles.

I think Tunguska can shoot down some of the missiles too.

I'd think that Patriot too will be able to do this.

I'm not sure how many of these can engage an incoming HARM though. You can try with AI, but we never know if it'll be the same case with player fired ones until they are released.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I believe in RL and in advanced classified variants, the missile can be programmed to follow a set of obtuse waypoints leading to the target. Couple this with a couple more HARMs and the air defence battery will be kaboom!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Real harm missile have ECCM, so all soviet old and "backward" AA radar systems will be deceived.

I doubt that the S-300 (or other early systems) can target a small target flying towards it and its covered with ECCM.

It does not matter how the system has a precise and powerful radar system when it is disturbed by an ECCM source

Maybe only any optical/ IR guidance system can save target AA system (for example aegis) before destroy in last two seconds before hit.

But chance is small ..

And the last thing, harm can be immune to enemy interference and the target can hit on the basis of GPS data.

Edited by Magot

Me to SA-11 sites.

2539em.jpg

Forget doing it in MP though.... I'm quite sure HARM will become the No. 1 banned missile on the MP servers, knocking 120C and ET's right off the pedestal.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Forget doing it in MP though.... I'm quite sure HARM will become the No. 1 banned missile on the MP servers, knocking 120C and ET's right off the pedestal.

My guess would be it will just be illegal/impossible to destroy SAM systems based near a side's final airbase(s). Just switching those to immortal/quick respawn and booting those who violate the rules.

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

going to be hard to enforce with a defacto RUK mode. actually saying for sure that the enemy SAM that's about to waste you is not on an airbase is hard when you have very little ability to measure range against it and no TGP to check.

really if you are likely to be using HARM you are going to be probably BVR the vast majority of the time (60~nm)

with current SAM AI though, it should probably be banned as otherwise it will be 80nm turkey shoot as SAMs don't turn off intelligently. every single hornet will be 4 guaranteed SAM kills from far beyond the range of any SAM/fighter in the game.

btw, it's going to get even more ridiculous when JASSM/GBU-39/SLAM-ER get here. "i vaporize your entire base with my 4ship from across the whole map, gg no re"

hornet will likely end up with 40% of it's repertoire banned if i'm being honest.

Why ban the use of 1760 weapons? Folks are shouting and clambering for their inclusion into the sim only to ban them when they arrive? Makes no sense to me. If that’s the case, just fly the warbirds. These weapons were developed for their standoff capabilities, why not use them.

I don’t think our RL counterparts are saying “hey, these weapons are too powerful, let’s NOT use them.” Just a thought.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

It's simple enough to set a trigger zone in the ME where a SAM site can be present on map but inactive until an enemy coalition is well within lethal launch parameters; thus negating the HARMS range. Switch them off again when e/a out of kill range. Could even instruct a move order just prior to deactivation so when the baited victim player respawns and comes back for revenge he still can't exactly ID the firing position.

If you're canny, you could bait HARM equipped Hornets into a trap with an SA-6 site and put a few "sleeper" SA-15s well forward on the threat axis; sure that would catch out some over eager Wild Weasels.

All this means the Weasels would be more thoroughly occupied, being more judicious in their approach to an enemy air defence zone, and thus prevents them rolling up, wiping out all the EADs and continuing with other weapons in one fell swoop.

If a spawning airbase is off limits for attack then make the EADs there immortal.

No need to start banning weapons. That's short sightedness in the extreme.