Questions to ED regarding A-10C update

prof_laser

A few days ago ED announced that there's going to be an update for the A-10C in 2019. There are some long known bugs in the A-10C. Are these bugs going to be fixed in the update? E.g.:

• CCIP Gun Cross Occult is non-functional
  • CDU DIM/BRT is non-functional
  • nose illumination is missing
  • formation lights illuminate the cockpit

Does the update include a later Suite than the current one?

Furthermore, the F/A-18C will be getting a modelled IFF system. Will then the A-10C also get an IFF?

Would be awesome if Wags / NineLine could provide some insight!

fetch?filedataid=261737&type=full

A few days ago ED announced that there's going to be an update for the A-10C in 2019. There are some long known bugs in the A-10C. Are these bugs going to be fixed in the update? E.g.:

Furthermore, the F/A-18C will be getting a modelled IFF system. Will then the A-10C also get an IFF?

I can't speak for the other items, but ED has said many times that a later cockpit suite won't be a thing. I believe the biggest reason is that it would breach their contract with the USAF.

I'd also like to add an item to that list; will the bugged HUD in VR be fixed in the overhaul? That's the main reason why I haven't flown the A-10 since I got the Rift. I can't see the top half of the HUD unless I'm scrunched down in my seat. And that's a pain (literally) when flying for long periods and/or conducting attacks.

Furthermore, the F/A-18C will be getting a modelled IFF system. Will then the A-10C also get an IFF?[/QUOTe]

What exactly are you looking for with regards to offensive IFF? A2A engagements with the A10 are strictly visual. If you can’t identify the bogey visually, it is not a bandit...

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I'm sure the lighting and illumination will be adjusted. Can't say anything about the others.

A suite update won't happen.

What exactly are you looking for with regards to offensive IFF? A2A engagements with the A10 are strictly visual. If you can’t identify the bogey visually, it is not a bandit...

Maybe he's referring to the IFF transponder which the A-10C has as well. Wags said in regards to the Hornet they want to introduce advanced IFFing at a later stage, which apparently would introduce real IFF procedures with transponder codes and the like. If so, they could also make the IFF transponder in the A-10C functional, so that you have to dial in the correct codes in order to be able to answer IFF interrogations.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Maybe he's referring to the IFF transponder which the A-10C has as well. Wags said in regards to the Hornet they want to introduce advanced IFFing at a later stage, which apparently would introduce real IFF procedures with transponder codes and the like. If so, they could also make the IFF transponder in the A-10C functional, so that you have to dial in the correct codes in order to be able to answer IFF interrogations.

Yea, I completely get what you are saying, but that is why I said “offensive IFF” in the first post. (Perhaps I should have used a different phrase there, I was trying to reference the ability to interrogate, which the A10 lacks.) Frankly I kinda hope ED leaves the system on the aircraft being interrogated simple. I am all for realism, but I could see a team kill epidemic on public servers because of people not reading the brief, incorrectly operating equipment, etc. However, wherever ED goes with this system, I’m sure the community will adapt. Cheers.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I'd also like to add an item to that list; will the bugged HUD in VR be fixed in the overhaul? That's the main reason why I haven't flown the A-10 since I got the Rift. I can't see the top half of the HUD unless I'm scrunched down in my seat. And that's a pain (literally) when flying for long periods and/or conducting attacks.

It's been stated many times that the HUD is like that in the real aircraft. It's set up for CAS, and as such projects the HUD low in the glass.

This is also why the a-10's heading indicator is in the bottom of the HUD vs the top like most all other US aircraft.

I can't speak for the other items, but ED has said many times that a later cockpit suite won't be a thing. I believe the biggest reason is that it would breach their contract with the USAF.

You can adjust the seat height in the A-10C

Simflyin' since 1985 :smartass:

A-10c update will be just a texture update, to better look with the new graphic engine. The exact same update has been made for the warbirds. I hope lights will be fixed, but I'm not sure cause this is a widespread issue on all modules, non only A-10c related, and I do not own warbirds to check. Also, I hope f/a-18 improvements transferable to the A-10c will be sooner or later stranfered, but that's another matter, not related to 2019 update.

Everyone keeps referencing the air force contract as the reason the A-10 can never receive a suite update. Contracts can be renegotiated. Most of the changes in the A-10 suite:next are in the F-18, so I dont accept thats its impossible because of a 9-10 year old peice of paper.

Certainly Im not suggesting that I expect a change any time soon, but its not impossible is all Im saying.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Everyone keeps referencing the air force contract as the reason the A-10 can never receive a suite update.

This also sounds to me like something born from forum speculation that eventually morphed into 'community knowledge' over the last decade. Besides telling us that the original C was developed as a cockpit orientation trainer for the ANG they've never been prone to revealing military contract specifics, for obvious reasons.

Basically if anyone other than Wags or Chizh or a select few others say "according to the contract...", they're blowing smoke, whether they know it or not.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

A-10c is a wonderful module for what it is now. I do not want ED to put time and resources to give us a newer suite. It's enough for me if they keep a-10c updated for what graphics and PC technology is concerned and quickly fix new bugs coming out with dcs world development. Since now these two targets are planned but not yet fully developed, I think we should strongly ask ED to fulfill these tasks as soon as possible instead of wasting time asking glass cockpits or brand new avionics that we'll never see.

A-10c is a wonderful module for what it is now. I do not want ED to put time and resources to give us a newer suite. It's enough for me if they keep a-10c updated for what graphics and PC technology is concerned and quickly fix new bugs coming out with dcs world development. Since now these two targets are planned but not yet fully developed, I think we should strongly ask ED to fulfill these tasks as soon as possible instead of wasting time asking glass cockpits or brand new avionics that we'll never see.

The block update adds the JHMCS to the C, the 'glasspit' is already there that was the purpose of the c update. For a CAS bird the JHMCS would add look, see, designate capacity as you do currently through the hud.

The biggest thing that I really want to see.. seems I very much doubt we will ever get a real version of SADL is a set of fricken BINOCULARS, they are Part of the basic kit for the hawg, allowing Them to visually see and I'd targets with out the pod etc but we don't have em heh

But ok'd settle for pbr and fixed bugs

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

This also sounds to me like something born from forum speculation that eventually morphed into 'community knowledge' over the last decade. Besides telling us that the original C was developed as a cockpit orientation trainer for the ANG they've never been prone to revealing military contract specifics, for obvious reasons.

Basically if anyone other than Wags or Chizh or a select few others say "according to the contract...", they're blowing smoke, whether they know it or not.

I also hear this thrown around constantly, I've never been able to determine where it started, and I have heard some particularly absurd explanations from people that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

However, being a lawyer, pilot and working frequently with the government, there are scenarios where it could be true. 100% Pure speculation (but based on experience), but the contract could provide for pre-approval of any changes falling within certain criteria, at significant expense to the company of course. In such a scenario a texture update would be fine, but any change to avionics or flight model would trigger the approval.

Again, I have no specific knowledge. It could just as easily be a business decision to not put dev resources into a product that's produced most of the revenue its going to produce (between the 18, recently revealed 16, I could understand not wanting to pull a dev from that to update what is already considered the most complete module). Personally, I would buy the a-10c again for a later avionic package (JHCMS alone would be life changing in a-10).

My point I suppose is just that its not a totally unrealistic excuse

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Not an urban myth. But doesn't go into the contracts. But anyone who's ever dealt with DoD contracts/procurement etc., knows the arduous bureaucracies involved. And how it got started is in the manual of A10C as well.

gQxrHFDRV-0

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• ED Team

The updates are to bring the cockpit textures and such up to current levels. This should hopefully fix a lot of lighting issues and such.

No new features or suites are planned. When the new cockpit goes in for testing I will look at some of the other bugs noted and update as needed for the new cockpit.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The updates are to bring the cockpit textures and such up to current levels. This should hopefully fix a lot of lighting issues and such.

No new features or suites are planned. When the new cockpit goes in for testing I will look at some of the other bugs noted and update as needed for the new cockpit.

Any chance of fixing the windmilling issue that Snoopy reported a while ago and Yo-Yo classified it as a bug?

...there are scenarios where it could be true...

My point I suppose is just that its not a totally unrealistic excuse

Sure, that's what I'm saying. It's not unrealistic at all, there are certainly all sorts of clauses, restrictions, amendments, and so on in their military contracts. But no one here has any clue what they are unless the information came directly from Wags or another higher-up in the organization.

Not an urban myth.

Correct, the A-10C originating with the ANG is about the only thing we do know. Everything else is just forum speculation run amuck.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

If you can’t identify the bogey visually, it is not a bandit...

cheers man. i have never seen a more astute and educated comment. you need to put this in your sig in bold colorful letters. i may put it in mine and add your name as the original author. :thumbup: is 19D denoting some experience as cav? i was 19E in the 80s :)

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain