Translating the flight manuals

First of all, im not sure if this is the right place to post this. If its not, please just move it to the right section of the forum.

I have a lot of people around me who wants to get into dcs but cannot do so because of the language barrier. I almost always help them with the basics and getting started but it gets really frustrating to help people over and over again, explaining same things. I'm sure ive spent at least 5-6 hours each with at least 10 people.

They usually start to get bored after a while like i do, cos i mean, who wants to listen to some dude talk over the microphone for hours and even after couple of hours they realize, there is a LOT of ground to cover.

This situation led me to believe that instead of explaining everything over voice chat, i should just write down what i explain and give it to the people who wants to learn. Then i realized we already have the manual's for that and they do a better job then i can, they just need to be translated. So i started to translate su25t's manual.

After a while, i thought to myself, these manual's are not my intellectual property so i dont actually have the right to edit and distribute them. And i really dont want them to get removed after i invest lots of hours in to it.

So here is my question, Can i just translate and distribute these manuals? Do i need any permission to do so? If i need permission, how can i get it?

So here is my question, Can i just translate and distribute these manuals? Do i need any permission to do so? If i need permission, how can i get it?

I'm not a part of ED's, but the manual of Su-25T doesnt include any note prohibiting it ... even so, I think that the polite thing to do is ask permission first ... contact the user Chizh by Private message.

However, translating a 68 page manual is quite an undertaking .. may I suggest that you translate one of the many good tutorial that already exists for the Su-25T ... for example this:

https://sites.google.com/site/zoomboy27/uts_su25t

Its a much easier job ... and of course ask first permission from the author (on this example: https://steamcommunity.com/id/zoomboy27/)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I will pm Chizh then.

I've already translated to the end of the autopilot modes. The thing is, as much as they are usefull, IMO a quick-start guide does not help a beginner. It kinda makes them lazy, instead of learning the systems, they just memorize couple of buttons.

For example, if you just show the su25t's autopilot modes in dcs to a beginner, he just uses 1-2 of them and half the time it doesnt work cos he/she has no idea of the limitations for engaging those modes. And he/she cannot learn more about it cos there is no proper manual which he/she can read.

Im aware it will take some time to translate them, even a short one like the su25t's manual, but im willing to spend that time.

Edited by kylekatarn720

There’s a dedicated translator team at ED but only English, French, German,Chinese and Korean. The work cannot be done with just one guy. We are not talking about 68 pages but rather 300 to 400 sometimes when talking about A10, Ka50 or Mi8.

Translators working for ED are under NDA. We are using specific tools and a team leader is distributing the tasks and managing the progress.

You need to contact Groove to see if ED wants to start a Turkish translation. But if they do, this won’t be just one manual but all the modules as well as the website.

Now there have been before initiatives to translate some manuals and ED never get crossed about that assuming they had no team already working on it.

There’s a dedicated translator team at ED but only English, French, German,Chinese and Korean. The work cannot be done with just one guy. We are not talking about 68 pages but rather 300 to 400 sometimes when talking about A10, Ka50 or Mi8.

Translators working for ED are under NDA. We are using specific tools and a team leader is distributing the tasks and managing the progress.

You need to contact Groove to see if ED wants to start a Turkish translation. But if they do, this won’t be just one manual but all the modules as well as the website.

Now there have been before initiatives to translate some manuals and ED never get crossed about that assuming they had no team already working on it.

Well, i wouldnt mind working for it, i mean i want to contribute and what you describe is better in every way then i can do on my own.

To be honest what i had in mind was to keep translating manuals one at a time as long as i can. Yes it would take a seriously long time but its better than nothing.

Thanks for the answer man, ill contact Groove and see what they have to say about this.