Poll: How do you think the F/A-18C will stack up against the Mirage?

Wahoo12

Poll: How do you think the F/A-18C will stack up against the Mirage?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: How do you think the F/A-18C will stack up against the Mirage?

• It will obliterate it in BVR but lose in WVR
    • It will lose in BVR but obliterate it in WVR
    • It will lose in both BVR and WVR
    • It will absolutely dominate the Mirage in BVR and WVR

A dash 5 with MICAs would make things more interesting, for sure.

If we put the Hornet and Mirage 2000 with contemporary equipment, Mike+Sparrow vs. Magic/Super 530D, I'd put my money on the Mirage both in BVR and WVR. Swap the Sparrow for the AMRAAM and the Hornet obviously takes the cake in BVR, but without the AIM-9X the Mirage might be too much for the Hornet up close and personal.

I wish we would have a Mirage 2000-5, but we don't so...:music_whistling:

Hornet FTW in DCS!

Hornet has a very good reputation in WVR.

Even with weapons on par (AIM-9M Vs Magic 2, AIM-7M Vs Super 530D), WVR or BVR it depends on the pilots skills and tactics. Each has its strong points and weaknesses.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Judging from the poll, I believe a lot of Hornet virtual drivers will be surprised in WVR.

BVR wise, a mid '00s Hornet has a certain technological advantage over the mid '80s 2000 C (I emphase the C, because a lot of people have little knowledge on the 2000 family...) but between the hands of a smart pilot the delta has significant chances.

Not mentionning a dash 5 (or 9.. or I) versus Hornet matchup since we cannot replicate any in DCS.

Edited by Corsair

I predict it will tear things up in wvr with the 9x.

The thing is there is no real point competing with today full gear Hornet (L16 + Fox 3 + AIM-9X + JHMCS) vs Mirage 2000C RDI.

Today Mirage 2000C RDI is second line fighter.

But you can still simulate a Hornet from the 80'/ 90' depending on what weapons and systems you use.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I certainly agree with that!

The thing is there is no real point competing with today full gear Hornet (L16 + Fox 3 + AIM-9X + JHMCS) vs Mirage 2000C RDI.

Today Mirage 2000C RDI is second line fighter.

But you can still simulate a Hornet from the 80'/ 90' depending on what weapons and systems you use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

as its a newer airplane the edge airframe to airframe is in the hornets favor, will it dominate? that's a little misleading since the airplane is only one factor in the fight

who's got the altitude advantage, whats the threat environment like, weather, night vs day. loadout vs loadout. and lastly and most importantly the skill of the pilot. skilled pilots will drag the fight to their aircrafts and skills advantage.

that being said the edge is still slightly in the hornets favor but even a skilled pilot in a hornet can get wrecked by a skilled mirage pilot if he makes a mistake.

Rift CV1: i-7 8700 RTX 2070 16GB 3200mhz win10. M.2 128gb GB Z390 Aurous Master. warthog stick on Gunfighter Base

Well I agree on that, but I was thinking more in regards to the open beta release with the normal AIM-9's.

It will hold its own very well, since most DCS fights (no missiles) go into slow speed nose-pointing fights. I don't know specifically how it does against the Mirage but in DCS the Mirage has insane low speed nose-pointing capability... maybe more than it does in real life. If you go defensive, you will need to jink really well to not die and hope your wingman comes around to kill him. If it is 1v1 and you're defensive, you are going to have to do some really unpredictable BFM mistakes to hope they make a worse BFM mistake to gain an advantage on them.

F-18 has great low speed nose-pointing capability, so don't scoff it.

Obviously Mirage is on a hiding to nothing with AMRAAM and aim-9x there is only luck and errors for the Mirage to stand a chance.

Without those then the sensible answer would be it is a depends on the pilot option which the op hasn't given us. Unfortunately though DCS SARH battles favour high roll rate aircraft and lots of CMs, the DCS Mirage can roll without compunction. :)

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I predict it will tear things up in wvr with the 9x.

Yep, that is what happens when you put a 1988 bird against something from the mid 2000's.

Would be more interesting against something like a Mirage 2000-5-2 or 2000-9, both which have significantly better kit then the base C that we have in the game.

The Hornet will win in BVR, hands down, as it has 4-6 ARH AMRAAMs VS 2 SARH Super 530Ds. For WVR, the hornet still has the advantage with 2-6 AIM-9M/Xs, VS 2 Magic IIs, but when it comes to a guns fight I think the Mirage is more maneuverable.

Edited by FlankerMan

It will hold its own very well, since most DCS fights (no missiles) go into slow speed nose-pointing fights. I don't know specifically how it does against the Mirage but in DCS the Mirage has insane low speed nose-pointing capability... maybe more than it does in real life. If you go defensive, you will need to jink really well to not die and hope your wingman comes around to kill him. If it is 1v1 and you're defensive, you are going to have to do some really unpredictable BFM mistakes to hope they make a worse BFM mistake to gain an advantage on them.

F-18 has great low speed nose-pointing capability, so don't scoff it.

I didn't scoff it? I said they were probably gonna be roughly equal in a WVR engagement.

Most educated guesses have it this way:

PmKX5jW.jpg

GB2Y3.jpg

According to the above charts the F/A-18C is predicted to have the advantage in sustained turn rate, whilst the Mirage is predicted to have the advantage in instantanous turn rate. However the F/A-18 can make up for the ITR disadvantage with its higher pitch rate (nose pointing ability), so I believe that overall the F/A-18C might even have a small edge in a guns & heaters only dogfight.

Edited by Hummingbird

I think that the Hornet...

hornet would theoretically ...

The phrases above illustrate the pointlessness of this poll.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: